Software
Houzz Logo Print
homernoy

Blinding flowers

19 years ago

It took a while this year, but my Callistemon 'hot pink' is now in full swing. Here are a couple of pics. I posted pics of this same plant just getting started. I wanted to show what it looks like when in full bloom.

It was a couple of feet taller before the blooms weighed the branches down!






Comments (19)

  • 19 years ago

    Fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • 19 years ago

    Hi buyorsell888,

    Thanks. I just had my daughter take a pic with me standing near the plant to show scale. I don't like being in pictures! I have been told over and over, pictures of that Callistemon make the plant look small. I am 6'2" on a short day, so you can see how small, or how large this Callistemon is.



  • 19 years ago

    That is just awsome Brian. Can I ask a few questions?
    How hardy is it? (I'm in a windy, wet-soil 8a)
    What's the trachy-looking palmish ground cover under it?
    What's the purple ground cover?
    Thanks!
    - Tom H.

  • 19 years ago

    Hi grrrnthumb,

    "How hardy is it?"

    I don't know. It has tolerated extended freezes here, never showing signs of damage.

    "What's the trachy-looking palmish ground cover under it?"

    That is a Rhapidophyllum hystrix. Small but old. I have had that since 1986.

    What's the purple ground cover?

    Delospermum cooperii. Very common. If you can't find it you are more than welcome to some of mine.


  • 19 years ago

    Hi homernoy:

    Fabulous looking shrub. I have a Callistemon (red) but yours puts it to shame. Have you pruned this shrub heavily over the years? I have not done much pruning to mine. The first year the few flowers it had seemed to grow from the previous years dry seed head. Normally I would have hacked it back but nobody around here has one so I did not want to chance losing it. Any advice you have would be appreciated.

    Cheers,
    MG

    Here is a link that might be useful: Our website

  • 19 years ago

    Brian
    I am envious of your location! That is a beautiful plant.

    The four species of callistemon I grew, two died and the other two suffered greatly this winter in Issaquah. Even though the temperatures were in the 8b zone, 15º - 20ºF.

    My Woodlander Hardy (not so Hardy!)is going to bloom, but the part of the plant that was above the snow level is dead.
    John

  • 19 years ago

    Hi MG,

    I have pruned it back hard a couple of times to keep it from growing too far over my sidewalk. Since Callistemons generally flower on new wood, feel free to hack it back.

    One of the times I pruned mine hard I got back to old wood. Attached to this were some 3 year old seed pods. I dropped the branches on the sidewalk during that hot day. Guess what happened?

    The next year I had Callistemon volunteers sprouting on the other side of my sidewalk. I gave all but one away. Still have the one growing happily in my west facing flower bed. Still has not bloomed.

    Hi John,

    Thanks! That is too bad about your Callistemon species taking a hit. It was a weird winter. If I take some cutting of this one, you are more than welcome to have a couple to try. Take care.

    -Brian

  • 19 years ago

    Hi Brian:

    Thanks for the tip. Mine is just flowering now so I will wait until Fall to trim it back.

    Cheers,
    MG

    Here is a link that might be useful: Our website

  • 19 years ago

    MG,

    Actually, I would cut it back just after it finishes blooming. I have found this is by far the best time to prune hard. Take care.

    -Brian

  • 19 years ago

    Hi Brian:

    Thanks for the update, I will certainly follow your advice.

    Cheers,
    MG

    Here is a link that might be useful: Our website

  • 19 years ago

    Brian, that's a beauty. Obviously very happy living at your house and really tempting to try to grow!

    Sue

  • 19 years ago

    Thank's Sue. You should really try one of the more hardy Callistemons. Maybe next year I will strike some cuttings for people who like this plant. A friend of mine has sold seed from this plant, but I don't know if he has any left, I wish I knew if I am allowed to mention his nursery on this forum. This forum can be extremely uptight. Take care.

    -Brian

  • 19 years ago

    Brian,

    I assume you are talking about Ian's nursery site: DesertNorthwest, where he sells seeds and plant that are hard to find in the Pacific Northwest.

    Is the 'Hot Pink' yours?

    John

    Here is a link that might be useful: The DesertNorthwest

  • 19 years ago

    Note that temperature spreads used to indicate conditions in particular USDA zones are based on average annual lows, and not record lows. They all get much colder than 0-10F, 10-20F etc. average ranges attributed to them. That's why it's recommended to plant selections hardier to the next zone down (unless you are not prone to being dismayed when something freezes out).

  • 19 years ago

    I left 'Woodlanders Hardy' seedlings outside all winter in square 6" pots through all the freezes, snow etc. It got to 13 degrees. They got a bit damaged, but look great now with lots of new growth.

  • 19 years ago

    Hi,
    "I assume you are talking about Ian's nursery site: DesertNorthwest, where he sells seeds and plant that are hard to find in the Pacific Northwest."

    Yes.:)

    "Note that temperature spreads used to indicate conditions in particular USDA zones are based on average annual lows, and not record lows. They all get much colder than 0-10F, 10-20F etc. average ranges attributed to them. That's why it's recommended to plant selections hardier to the next zone down (unless you are not prone to being dismayed when something freezes out)"

    Point noted, but that is a bit extreme for me.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Talk About an Arctic Outbreak!

  • 19 years ago

    Brian,

    As I progress with my 'Very Extreme Makeover-Yard Edition', every time I get to a site for just such an exclamation point, I seem to revisit the callistemon idea. The only potted one I've encountered locally was a 'Little John' and it looked ratty enough to discourage me. I was perusing one of my favorite nursery's availability lists last week and 'Little John' showed up again. Given the fact that I'm an amatuer neophyte to design/build/plant sort, any recommendations on this particular one and where best to site it re sun/shade/shelter etc ?

  • 19 years ago

    The subject of this thread looks just like one growing in a friend's garden west of the Loyal Heights Neighborhood Center in Seattle. Perhaps these are examples of Callistemon subulatus. The nursery yard at 3rd & Holman has that species in one gallon pots; several species are probably available at the moment from Colvos Creek nursery on Maury Island (next to Vashon Island) - they were a short time ago, anyway - and telephoning various major garden centers here like Furney's, Molbak's and Swanson's would probably turn up other kinds. If you are in or near a large urban center with multiple independent nurseries, keep calling different ones until you are successful.

  • 19 years ago

    Hi boxofrox,

    I would stay away from 'Little John'. It is a dwarf variety that seems far more tender than advertised. I have never tried growing this one, but I have seen them get damaged in the Seattle area from moderate winter freezes.

    I remember seeing some nice inexpensive Callistemons at Wells Medina Nursery. They were labeled as 'Woodlanders Hardy'. I would give it a go. Put it in a sunny position in your yard, and give it summer water.

    It should be mentioned that these plants might be damaged or killed outright by a record cold winter, or an extremely long freeze. I really have no data on cold tolerance. Mine has never been damaged, but the one at my parents house in Bothell survived the winter of 1990.

    It was a small plant in a flat, and planted at soil level in the garden. After the thaw it looked dead to me, but resprouted. Has never been damaged since.

    Though it rarely flowers, when it does the brushes are a beautiful crimson, though smaller than on mine. It was labaled as Callistemon subulatus. Hope this helps.

    -Brian