Software
Houzz Logo Print
gardengal48

Flower World

Met a friend for breakfast the other day at the Maltby Cafe and made a short visit to Flower World afterwards. I hadn't been there in several years and was pretty impressed with the place. Nice, new park-like gardens, the place was clean and well-kept and the plants (generally) looked good. Still no customer service to speak of and the selection (of perennials and conifers in particular) was rather ordinary but prices were excellent for what you got.

It was fairly apparent that, with regards to the perennials specifically, they grow a lot of what they sell. New introductions and patented plants were visibly lacking - only 3 or 4 different heucheras, none of the new coneflowers, virtually no hostas or euphorbias. And few recognizeable growers tags or pots. But they had some pretty amazing, beefy, 2 gallon coleus for only $12.99!

Comments (19)

  • 20 years ago

    I agree with you although I have not been there for a few years either. The last time I was there I was looking for a certain rhodie having been to Wells Medina and Molbaks with no luck! Flower World had a lot of rhodies but at that time there were only three or four varieties from which to choose! They did have a fairly decent selection of Japanese maples at that time although I didn't look at them closely. A lot of people like Flower World. I feel it is too large with not enough variety for my thirst for the unusual. That said I do know a few people that have scored some great plants there from time to time. But as proved by the Heronswood closing, that is not where the 'big' money is. The profit margin is sure better growing your own plants if the overhead is not too high.

    On the other hand have you been to Molbaks lately? It's like playing bumper cars complete with barbeque smell in the background. They had brought in an amazing selection of cool plants, I suspect for the NPA plant study weekend. Unfortunately many plants were getting drought stressed and it was probably a good thing there was a 'two-fer' going on! Watering is always a challenge this time of year sigh....

  • 20 years ago

    What did you have for breakfast?

  • 20 years ago

    LOL!! And how were your pancakes, Marcia?

  • 20 years ago

    Molbak's didn't used to let stuff wilt. Flower World did used to have a problem keeping perennials fresh after bringing them in from heavily watered production field and putting them in hot, covered display building. Sounds like things are the same there as always, the "park" just having been made bigger. The owner kept 4 inch Polyanthus at 99 cents for years, maybe the cheap coleus are another one of these. Low prices can be quite a draw. One Mother's Day weekend shopping day they had a new car coming in the entrance about once per second.

  • 20 years ago

    >>The profit margin is sure better growing your own plants if the overhead is not too high.

    To me it's remarkable that more retail nurseries haven't figured this out.

  • 20 years ago

    Next they can figure out how to compete with eating in restaurants, supposedly now beating out gardening as America's favorite hobby--and we sure look like it, too. Meanwhile, a cafe on Vashon Island (west of Seattle) is advertizing itself as a gardener's cafe (because they have some landscaping out back that the dining room looks out on).

    I've also seen it said recently that casino gambling(!) has replaced gardening. Kinda the same thing, Tulalip Casino (north of Seattle) has four restaurants that they push in their ads.

  • 20 years ago

    Personally, I'd kinda like to see a nursery/laundromat/pub combination for more effecient multi-tasking.

  • 20 years ago

    Count me in amongst the Flower World fans. I'm not typically looking for anything terrbily exotic or new, so it works well for me. Now, if they could only get the garden carts like they have at the Smokey Point Plant Farm. Then again, if I could carry more, I would buy more! I also happen to live near the Tulalip Casino. Since I'm allergic to smoke, the closest I've been to the casino has been the outlet mall. Whoops, there I go spending money again!

  • 20 years ago

    The Plant Farm is laid out and operated as though modeled after Flower World. Places like these may be the wave of the future.

  • 20 years ago

    Yum! Maltby Cafe - haven't been there in a while.

    I just went to Flowerworld recently (on a weekday - avoid weekends) and was quite surprised, I actually like the large, open grounds to stroll around. Their plant selection is full of good old standards, and they have lot's of conifers and good prices. I really like the fact that they grow some of their own stuff too, it's refreshing not to see MONROVIA on every tag. I like that they recycle pots too, you can see some stickers from old plants on their pots sometimes, an indicator of recycling. Occasionally, I find some really interesting stuff too. I'm a 4" pot type gardener, so any nursery that has different graduation sizes of a particular plant, that makes me happy! I don't like paying for 1, 2, 5 gallon, 4" always grows fast enough for me. Growing a 4" plant to maturity gives a real understanding of a particular plants growth habits (I learn more this way).

    Last time I was there they had Golden Ninebark (Darts Gold) for $4.95 a gallon! Everyone should have one of these bright golden beauties, spectacular! I always have those type of moments at FW, WOW! "I've been looking for that plant forever, and it's soo affordable" I like no-brainer purchases, truly serendipitous!
    In a day an age when we're programmed to want the NEW NEW NEW cultivar, I like to think that there is a place to get some standards that are NEW NEW NEW to me! They make me just as happy.

    In the modern world of "zero attention span", must have latest and greatest... best in show... whatever....
    I like that there is a place like FlowerWorld to keep us all grounded. New stuff isn't necessarily better after all, old stuff is still around for a reason, well isn't it?

  • 20 years ago

    Wal-Mart is a big hit, too. Last time I was out to FW was to recycle pots, they used to put bins out for visitors to dump their used pots into.

  • 20 years ago

    I like F W but would someone please tell them to change growing medium vendors. Their "soil" is awful! It's like they cram a handful of Cedar Grove into a 4" pot and plant it.

  • 20 years ago

    I love the ponds/garden at Tulalip Casino! The food went downhill since they opened, the buffet was excellent the first time we went and awful the last time but that water feature is too cool. I'm not into casinos, we stopped only because I had to see those Orca Whales up close and we were hungry after sitting in line for hours trying to cross the border from BC so we tried the buffet. The casino wasn't smokey then either. Last time we stopped on the way home from BC it was horrid. Not going back.

  • 20 years ago

    You wanted to see whales up close, went to the buffet?

    Some of the trees in the landscaping there are actually fairly interesting kinds--as far as parking lot plantings go. Not interesting enough to leave the freeway, but interesting enough to look at going by.

  • 20 years ago

    yes, I wanted to see the giant fake whales up close and decided I was starving so went in and tried the buffet. It was really good so we went back two years later and it was awful.

    I am into ponds big time and the various waterfalls were also of interest.

  • 20 years ago

    Well then you will probably want to check out this place when you are right in the vicinity of the Seattle location* next month, if you haven't been there already.

    *From Prinzing, 'Northwest Gardener's Resource Directory':

    "From I-5, take Corson-Michigan exit 161, go west on Michigan to 4th Avenue S, turn right (north) to S Brandon, then turn right."

    Here is a link that might be useful: Oasis Water Gardens - Home Page - Water Gardens, Seattle, Redmond, Kirkland, Bellevue, Yarrow Point

  • 20 years ago

    Thank you!

    Would you believe that I work at 6100 4th Ave South?
    a block north of Michigan?

    I've been within yards of this water garden nursery and didn't know it. Never heard of it.

    I will look for that book, I've never heard of it either until you mentioned it on another post.

    I didn't know this forum was here either. I had a run in with Spike in 1999 and didn't come back to the Garden Web until this year.

  • 20 years ago

    LOL! Instead of buying me flowers, when DH feels he needs to apologise for something, he takes me to Flower World! I LOVE the place. Love the prices, love the selections, love the displays. I love that they sell veggie starts in the spring, mature plants in the summer and then the produce during harvest! (They plant and grow most of what doesn't get sold). They also try to keep in mind our climate which I appreciate since I hate buying plants that can't take the wet winter or occasional cold snap. AND, as many of you probably know, for the month of July, all plant materials were 15% off. I also love that they are open year round. There is nothing like walking through a lush greenhouse (that you don't have to heat) in January. I try to go every two months or so, so I can see what's blooming. They typically don't force the majority of their plants, so I know when things bloom there, they will fill up the holes in my garden. They *DO* have a customer service area, although the service people generally have to get on the radio to ask around. Oh, and they've updated their carts (they now have wheels front and back). :)

  • 20 years ago

    I just went to Flower World earlier this week. I picked up a huge coleus they had on sale (among other things, of course) that will come in the house later this fall. Have spent much money there over the years.

    I also like the produce stand across the street. And all of their birds.

    I just like the place.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County