Software
Houzz Logo Print
judywww

Lagerstroemia placement question.

19 years ago

Hi All....

I've been looking for "the right" crape myrtle for awhile and finally chose Lagerstroemia 'Supersonic' which I found at Cistus last Friday. The tag says: "Cuttings from just northwest of Cincinatti, Ohio. Dwarf plants to 6' with flowers in shades of pink and purples........Needs some summer water and full sun."

I figure this one is sure to be sufficiently hardy! Here are my placement choices...order does not signify preference: 1) the westside of the house in a 2' wide strip between house and walkway (water permeable)...or perhaps the other side of the walkway although that would mean moving several other established plants; 2) sheltered spot in perennial bed getting about 6 to 7 hours of full sun but always very bright (no direct shade, sun slow to come up over tall firs 150' to the east, mid afternoon blocked by another fir and/or house depending on time of year; 3) full sun but much more exposed to winds including some pretty nasty east winds.

When planting trees/shrubs I think of my farm as zone 7 since we do get below 10 one out of every 4 to 5 years and have had very little success with zone 8 plants.

Thanks for your help! JudyWWW

Comments (2)