Software
Houzz Logo Print
garland67

Lawn getting brown

20 years ago

Anyone having a problem with their lawn browning? My lawn took a beating during our heatwave. I have been watering. I was also wondering what type of grass does best out here? I was thinking about overseeding with Kentucky blue grass ( KBG ) this fall. Thanks

Comments (9)

  • 20 years ago

    That kind does not persist here, is used as a nurse grass (it comes up quickly) in seed mixtures while the other kinds that will become the permanent lawn are coming up. What you need to keep a lawn spring green here is to duplicate spring weather, pouring on the water. In a small space it may be better to replace with paving (dinky lawns aren't a visual success anyway), in a large area let it go brown in summer.

  • 20 years ago

    We'll My back yard is fine. It was hydroseeded. I believe it was a mixture of different seeds. It's doing pretty well. I do want my front yard to look nice. It's not too large. About 3k sq feet. So are you saying KBG dosn't do well here in the northwest?

  • 20 years ago

    For a page from WSU that may interest you...

    Here is a link that might be useful: Lawns

  • 20 years ago

    Thanks! Very helpfull

  • 20 years ago

    Yes, he is saying that KBG doesn't do well here in the NW!

  • 20 years ago

    Lawns normally go dormant here in summer. Once the lawn gets hot and dry it starts going dormant and nothing will stop it once it starts. Trying to green it up with more water is a waste of water. It will come back when the weather cools in fall. Not before, once dormancy is triggered. You have to keep it watered before it starts looking brown.

    bluegrass does not do well here. Ryes and fescues are what you want. Bentgrass does very well too but better as a naturalized meadow, doesn't look good as a lawn. Moss makes an excellent western Washington lawn - native, takes summer drought. Just not a grass.

  • 20 years ago

    I personally hate grass and would love to get rid of all of it, which I would if I had a city lot. I have 2 acres and when I make a garden instead I have weeding and watering chores added so I still have lots of lawn because it only has to be mowed. I know some gardeners who have no grass and just mulched beds and mulched paths. Their gardens always look good and the weeding problems are nil after a while. Some groundcovers look good all the time and can give that green look, like kinnickinnick, winterberry, or some cotoneasters. I also like the look of heathers and different ones bloom at different times.

  • 20 years ago

    We'll I have been using Miracle Grows lawn fertilizer and it has gotten green again. I am going to keep the grass high for the rest of the summer and see if it stays green.

  • 20 years ago

    Any experience with dead lawn from new heat efficient windows?

    I wrote an advice topic on it at my site. If you go to www.mdvaden.com and click Advice in the menu, select ADVICE page 1 from the flash buttons. Then find that topic in the list.

    It can be a contributing factor is some yards. For some people, it's a sneaky damgage, because they are at work when the culprit is doing the damage.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Columbus High Quality Painting Expert