Software
Houzz Logo Print
anewbie

Beginner Questions..

20 years ago

Hello everyone.. I am very new to planting and everything that goes with taking care of them. I just moved from the desert to an area where everyone has beautiful yards. I have a pretty good idea of what I want to start out with- but not really sure how to do it, or what exactly I'm looking for. It's difficult to look for types of plants when shopping, when I'm not sure what they all are. If it's not too much trouble, could someone help me out with a couple of questions?

I would like to make a large portion of my yard evergreen shrubs and bushes that flower during parts of the season and keep their green leaves during the winter. I have a Hydrangea that stayed nice and bushy during the winter- this is the type of thing I'm seeking. Is this called evergreen or is there a different name for them?

In the beds with these evergreens and flowering bushes, I would like to put bark mulch down and plant perennials that come up through the year.. If I put the mulch down over planted seeds, will the plants come through, or do I need to leave the spots that I plant seeds empty when spreading?

I will stop there.. I have many more questions, but they're more plant specific so I will post them later..

Thanks for any clarification you can provide~

Comment (1)