Software
Houzz Logo Print
pnwgardener_gw

Late fall and early winter plants

19 years ago

I would like to select some plants that flower or add evergreen colorful leaves in the months of November into early January. I have full sun to part shade conditions and one narrow spot (3 feet wide) that receives open shade (north side of house). I'm looking at Camellia sasanqua 'Setsugekka' as a possible cultivar that is supposed to bloom from about November through January.

Any suggestions would be helpful as I compile a list for my fall planting. Thanks!

Comments (14)

  • 19 years ago

    I'll put in a good word for evergreen blueberries, beautiful and productive. One of mine is incredibly loaded with fruit this year. I have Sunshine Blue, Legend, and appearance-wise my favorite Misty, though it's not the one that is loaded. It is my favorite berry for flavor of any of my blueberries, though. The leaves are evergreen but turn beautiful shades of red, orange and yellow in fall.

    I have not succeeded yet in getting bloom on my 2 sasanqua's, maybe because I don't fertilize or water correctly. Daphne Summer Ice still has flowers at frost every year and can keep them past frost. The barberry with the wine variegated leaves has great fall color and red berries-

  • 19 years ago

    Oh no kidding on the blueberries! I forgot I had them. I should put in some more where they can be appreciated during the dark months. I've added it to my list.

  • 19 years ago

    How about a red twig dogwood? Especially some of the new cultivars like 'Flame' have amazingly intense stem colors that to me are the equivelent of flowers.
    Maybe a rugosa rose with red hips in winter?
    Anybody know how early the earliest hellebores bloom?
    - Tom

  • 19 years ago

    Pieris 'Flaming Silver' for foliage & year round interest, Pyracantha 'Mohave' and 'Gnome'(espaliered)for berries
    Arbutus 'Compacta' for berries, Camellia 'Marie Bracie' that blooms before, during, and after Christmas, Redtwig dogwood 'Elegantissima' that adds winter interest much like that of a 'Sango Kaku' maple, and 'Profusion' beautyberry adds unique color to winter as well

    I have all these interspersed throughout my yard to get me through the winter :-)

  • 19 years ago

    I'm looking all these babies up to see what will fit where. I came across Salix alba ÂFlame or white willow. Has anyone grown it here in the Northwest, and what's your take on it? The stems are as colorful as red twig dogwood.

  • 19 years ago

    For evergreen color, look at various nandinas - 'Sienna Sunrise', 'Plum Passion', 'Moyer's Red' all color up intensely in colder weather. For a shadier location, consider Leucothoe fontanesiana 'Scarletta', which will turn a bright, burnished red its name implies. A number of heaths and heathers will provide color in winter, both with flowers and with foliage color ('Firefly', 'Wickwar Flame'). And there are conifers that will color up in winter cold, turning bronze or plummy tones - many of the white cedars (Chamaecyparis thyoides), Cryptomerias and Siberian cedar (Macrobiota decussata).

    The earliest blooming hellebores in my garden are the bear's foot or stinking hellebores, Helleborus foetidus. I can expect flowers on them in December. The Christmas rose or Helleborus niger should be in bloom at that time as well. These are followed promptly by Corsican hellebore and many of the hybrids. In my garden, Helleborus x hybridus or the so-called oriental hybrids are the last to bloom, but make up for their tardiness with the widest range of color and hold their blossoms well into late spring.

    In our area, it is not hard to have a good selection of color available throughout the winter. And most area nurseries will have seasonal offerings available during this period.

  • 19 years ago

    Thanks for the plant suggestions, more color, more bettah for winter! I am inspired so this is appreciated.

  • 19 years ago

    Hi pnwgardener

    First of all I agree with all of the above suggestions. Gardengal and BBoy have pretty much the best knowledge and advice for our area bar none. Helleborus is one my favorite winter, well... all season plants. There is one plant you might want to try. It can bloom all winter, and some species all year. Grevillea victoriae. It my not be the most conservative plant, but I think worth it.

    Here are pictures of a couple of mine. The seconed picture is victoriae after last years freeze. It continued to bloom into late spring, though you can see some burning on the flowers. The first one is 'canberra gem', and the seconed and third victoriae. The last picture I took today. You can see quite a few buds getting ready for fall and winter bloom. I have so many pics, I had a hard time finding a good one of Grevillea victoriae, but Google it and look for images.

    -Brian

    center>









  • 19 years ago

    Beautiful color for winter. How big does it ultimately get here in the NW?

  • 19 years ago

    Hi pnwgardener

    I don't think it will get taller than about 8'. And if it does (Gevillea victoriae) there seems to be no problems with hard pruning. I have really gone after mine twice without any ill effects. If you call your local nurseries there is a good chance you can find one. If not e-mail me and I know of a possible source for this plant. When I take cuttings next year you are more than welcome to have one.

    Take care

    -Brian

  • 19 years ago

    Brian,

    Do you know what the root system is like? I am thinking of planting it about five feet away from my septic tank, if its root system is shallow. I still haven't located one. Sunset doesn't rate this for our climate though.

  • 19 years ago

    Hi pnwgardener

    I am happy you find Grevillea's interesting. I have three Grevillea victoriae (among a few other species) that are all quite different. All have a root system that would be considered non invasive, meaning they won't go down to your septic tank and ruin it. Even if it was planted right on top of your septic tank, it would be very strange to have this plant cause a problem.

    "Sunset doesn't rate this for our climate though"

    I really don't know what to say about that. I don't want to antagonize anyone. I know it is quite tolerant of hard frosts. Gevillea victoriae has been growing in the Seattle area for quite some time now, and I have never heard of winter damage, but there is never any guarantees. Some on this forum my have had winter damage to this plant. It is a wonderful plant. If you want, contact me, I can tell you where you might get one, but this time of year might prove difficult. Take care

    -Brian

  • 19 years ago

    Grevillea victoriae and the hardier Grevilleas are certainly hardier than a lot of things Sunset does rate for our climate, such as Hoheria. In fact, I left a bunch of potted Grevilleas out last winter through 13F in pots, and most of them lived with little or no damage. The hardier ones are certainly hardy to at least 10F and might be considered in the same hardiness league (or better) as many of the Cistus, Ceanothus and Hebe species frequently offered by nurseries. For winter blooms and cold hardiness, the best varieties to plant are G. victoriae and its varieties including 'Murray Valley Queen' and 'Marshall's Seedling', G. 'Austraflora Canterbury Gold', G. 'Poorinda Constance' and G. 'Poorinda Queen'. Most of the other Grevilleas bloom in spring for me or are not as cold hardy.

    For me Grevilleas have been trouble free (other than growing larger than anticipated) and the root systems are indeed non-invasive. They will take a little shade but should be given at least 2/3 sun for best results.

  • 19 years ago

    Thank you so much for the additional information. The Grevillea are on my list and if I can't find them this fall, I will keep an eye out in the spring for them.