Software
Houzz Logo Print
newgeneral

'dwarf burning bush', euonymus alatus

20 years ago

A recently gave me 3 1-gallon 'dwarf burning bush' plants that she purchased at a Home Depot and then decided she couldn't use. I rescued these orphans, but really I don't know what to do with them either. From what I have read, "dwarf" is actually a misnomer and these shrubs can get quite large. The ones I am familiar with are growing in commercial landscapes, and have been heavily sheared into roundish, dense unnatural-looking forms. Can anyone tell me how large this shrub really gets, and what its natural form is? (Big, dense and round? Or will it take a form that is more tree-ish if left to itself?) How quickly does it grow?

I have limited areas in my yard that get full sun. The largest area is right at the top of a sloping bluff above Puget Sound. I am in the process of planting shrubs and groundcover there, but prefer plants that will stay at 4' tall or less because there is a view to protect. Also the soil is very sandy and quite dry in the summer. This is not an area I want to irrigate, and only do so minimally until the plants there get established. I have another spot where height is not a concern, but width is an issue and best suited for plants that are tall and narrow. Finally, I have a woods of tall doug fir. The fringes of this area get partial sun, and bright fall color would be striking in this area.

Don't know anyone who would want these shrubs if I can't use them, and I hate to let them die.

Thanks,

Annie

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting