Software
Houzz Logo Print
kcwdad

Groundcover hillside challenge

18 years ago

I could really use some local expertise on hillside groundcovers. I'm getting conflicting advice from standard websites, and not sure how to translate general light and water requirements into our Seattle area climate (and my Doug fir-wooded, sun-challenged neighborhood).

Hillside A is about 300 sq ft of poor soil, irrigated. It gets appx 2-3 hrs direct morning "sun" in summer, perhaps another hour filtered. In fall, drops to about 1-2 hrs sun, and in the winter, I'm not clear there is a sun.

Hillside B is about 500 sq ft of rich soil, not irrigated, thus must be drought tolerant once established (I will plant this month, then hose it down a few times next summer, after it's on its own). B gets similar sun to A but in afternoon.

I'm making this difficult because I also want "evergreen" (or mostly), fast-growing and continuously spreading (can't spend a fortune), and "interesting" (to me, this means variegated, flowering and/or fall color... no cotoneaster, bearberry, etc. already have that elsewhere)

They don't need to be same groundcover on both hillsides, although it could be attractive if it worked out that way.

Candidates:

- Vinca minor illumination: will it work on mass scale? On both A and B?

- Lamiastrum galeobdolon HermanÂs Pride. It's less invasive than typical archangel, I'm told. The adjacent area it would invade on Hillside B is salal and blackberry, so no worry there. The bottom of Hillside A is a garden I'd not want overtaken.

- Euonymus fortunei "emerald n gold" (wintercreeper): I'm getting conflicting advice on whether this is drought tolerant as well as light requirement. And is it fast-growing in conditions for A and/or B?

- Fragaria Variegata -- having trouble finding it to buy, or really learn more about it, but if it's like other wild strawberry, would it do well in both part sun (summer) and part shade (rest of the year) with little water?

- Euonymus fortunei "coloratus" (Purple wintercreeper): considering it only as last resort for its fall color.

So... did I pick any winners here? Or why should I stay away from one or more? Or what proven gem did I miss?

Sorry for the elaborate question, and thanks for reading this far!

Comments (2)