Software
Houzz Logo Print
azngrnthumbs

Seattle P-I Blog.

19 years ago

Hi folks,

I'd like to invite you guys to visit my Pacific Gardens blog for the Seattle P-I. I had a recent visit to Dan Hinkley's home and garden at Windcliff and I have some photos if you're curious about what their garden looks like.

It's certainly not Heronswood, but the spirit of an avid plantsman is totally there with an incredible diversity of plants from all around the world!

Cheers,

Riz

Here is a link that might be useful: Pacific Gardens Blog

Comments (14)

  • 19 years ago

    Hi Riz -

    I'd just seen your blog this morning and was thinking about posting a reference to it on this board. The dividing pictures are great - very helpful.

    For others on the board, I recommend it.

    Nice work!

    -Jen.

  • 19 years ago

    Yeah, fun reading Riz. It would be soo cool to visit Dan Hinkley's garden! Thanks for the photos! Good luck with your adventures.

    I need to get some Chinease Ground Orchids from you. I've had plant lust for those babies for some time.

  • 19 years ago

    I mean (Chinese) Ground Orchids! eye kan spel, ves I kan - LOL

  • 19 years ago

    Thanks for the comments! Please do check back often.

    Hostaguy, I'll have Bletilla available this fall or if you don't want to risk losing them over the winter, I'll have 'em next spring too! Email me or visit my website.

    I'll be digging a patch of lilies for division for a future post. If you've never dared to dig and divide your lily bulbs, check back soon!

    Cheers,

    Riz

  • 19 years ago

    Bletilla can also be purchased from garden centers.

  • 19 years ago

    Bboy, in my experience it's not easily found.

    Where have you seen it?

  • 19 years ago

    Lots of places, for many years. This year, however, may not be on offer much. Local selections of bulbs seemed poor to me, as though sales were down in recent years and orders were cut back for this year. And by now they are winding down already, it being the second half of October.

  • 19 years ago

    Just updated!! I dug some lilies and divided them.

    Check out the step by step process with helpful photographs!

    Get diggin'!

    Riz

    Here is a link that might be useful: Pacific Northwest Gardens

  • 19 years ago

    I got some Bletilla, thank you Riz! Everyone, check out Riz's garden sometime, it's great!!

    One side note about Bletilla, the Squirrels like them! They dug in one of the pots and ate some of the bulbs - Grrrrr - made me soooo mad!

    Guess I'll have to put some netting around them or cages.

  • 19 years ago

    Squirrels will dig at just about every newly planted, amended, or recently "worked on" location because they suspect that something yummy might be lying underneath.

    At this time of year, gardeners are so frustrated because they put in all this effort to plant their bulbs only to find them up rooted and sometimes eaten! GRRRRR ....

    I would get your Bletillas in the ground and mulch! I've found that they don't really dig around areas mulched with woodchips or large bark pieces. I also make sure to firm in the soil well and water to settle the soil and make it look "hard" to these pests.

    I've also used short bamboo stakes around the plants and form kind of a little teepe around my planted bulbs or dormant plants. NOt only does it mark where I planted something, the pest seem to stay away.

    If your Bletillas don't come up, Hostaguy, let me know and I'll see if I have an extra piece for you next spring!

    Cheers,

    Riz

  • 19 years ago

    Thanks for all the tips Riz. I'm going to keep these babies safe.

  • 19 years ago

    Another recent post. It's weather related!!

    I just dug and brought in my Angel's Trumpet (Brugmansia) after the frost cut it back.

    Plus, tips on overwintering your containers.

    CHeers,

    Riz

    Here is a link that might be useful: Pacific Gardens Blog: Seattle P-I

  • 19 years ago

    Timely information! A new gardener, I was wondering what to do with my dahlias when overnight they turned to mush, as you said. These cheapie little plants from Lowe's gave me beautiful, easy color for months.

    To say nothing of the whole helpful blog! For example, the bulbs so attractive to varmints: I planted EIGHTY gift tulips a while ago, and exactly ONE gorgeous tulip survived (why, I haven't a clue). Thanks for the tips.

    maro

  • 19 years ago

    Went this afternoon to check it out and report back to ya!

    Some amazing blooms as always.

    Check out the new entry!

    Riz

    Here is a link that might be useful: PNW Gardens Blog

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!