Software
Houzz Logo Print
pdxlights_gw

new grape vines

17 years ago

I have a west facing stone wall where I planted so-called "champagne grapes" (the tiny kind you see in upscale markets). They have grown well, but become overwhelmed by powdery mildew each year, as I read is common in the PNW. This year I pruned them aggressively, they set lots of fruit and I cut away any leaves which prevented them from getting sunlight. Nonetheless the tiny clusters of grapes remained stunted. I have now decided to pull them out and replace them with something that actually grows well in my area (concept!), which is zone 8 East slope of Chehalem Mt at about 1600 ft. What would be a good choice? Once I visited Sokol Blosser winery and tasted their Gewurztraminer grapes: delicious! But they are not really a table grape, I think, and know nothing about them. Any suggestions from experienced grape growers out there? And when to remove and re-plant? Is there re-plant disease among grapes? Thanks.

Comments (2)