Software
Houzz Logo Print
biner_gw

ID my Maple?

16 years ago

Not much action over at maples forum. Thought I'd try here.

Can you help ID this little maple for me. I bought it on sale for about $5 and stupidly threw the tags away. I have no idea what it is or how big i will get. Any ideas. Thx

Sorry not sure how to get an image into the post but you should be able to see it here. The plant looks quite green in the photo but it does have some purple to it. Right now it stands about 2 ft.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1050059}}

Comments (3)

  • 16 years ago

    You didn't get much response on the Maples forum because it's pretty darn tricky to determine exactly what you have based on the photo provided :-) The leaves are deeply lobed but not very dissected so it may or may not be a dissectum. The habit - at this very young age - looks more upright than cascading, so also not a strong determinant of a dissectum. But it remains a possibility. The coloring is not much of an indicator as well - is it a red faded to green because of excessive shade or is it a green that is beginning to develop some fall color? If we cannot pin down the cultivar more precisely, it is impossible to say how big it might get.

    When did you get it? And from where? At a $5 sale price, I'd have to assume it is something pretty darn common or even just a seedling. Does it have an obvious graft? Can't tell from the photo......if no graft, most likely a seedling and therefore not a named cultivar and so habit and mature size are up for grabs.

    Clearer photos and more information would be helpful.

  • 16 years ago

    Not cut enough for a laceleaf. Base does look grafted, but impossible to be certain without looking real close. Japanese maples are a hobbyist group with multiple similar forms being circulated, without a name coming with the plant to provide a starting point may be very difficult to come up with a reliable one.

  • 16 years ago

    I purchased it a big box on sale from 19.99. At the time I needed a tree that had some purple cooration, was shade happy, and wasn't going to get too big, about 12 feet. The problem is, I can;t resist plants on sale so when I bought this it's quite possible I didn;t even consider the site at the time and just thought I could make it work somehpw. Just can;t remember. The plant hasn't really changed much over the last 2-3 months. Some leaves are green, some purple and some a combination but the overall appearance is more purple. I've attached a few more photos but quality isn't great with phone. I know it's probably an impossible question but II purchased it a big box on sale from 19.99. At the time I needed a tree that had some purple cooration, was shade happy, and wasn't going to get too big, about 12 feet. The problem is, I can;t resist plants on sale so when I bought this it's quite possible I didn;t even consider the site at the time and just thought I could make it work somehpw. Just can;t remember. The plant hasn't really changed much over the last 2-3 months. Some leaves are green, some purple and some a combination but the overall appearance is more purple. I've attached a few more photos but quality isn't great with phone. I know it's probably an impossible question but I do appreciate your input. Maybe I'll just put it in a container for awhile and see what it does. Don't know how to do multiple images so link takes you to an albun of maple pics. Hope it works.

    Here is a link that might be useful: maple

Sponsored
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, Ohio