Software
Houzz Logo Print
misslemonverbena

Potting soil

18 years ago

I haven't given much thought to potting soil in awhile, but I went out today in a rush to buy some in order to get the last of my bulbs planted. Because I had very little time I went to the horrible chain nursery two blocks from my house. Not a lot of choices. All three had peat moss in them. Isn't peat moss a non-renewable resource? Plus it gets really hard to rewet once it dries out. I ended up buying Whitney Farms. As I was planting I got little splinters in my hands.

So, I guess my question is: Yikes! When did potting soil start costing $4.50 a cubic foot, & what is your favorite brand & why? It's unlikely because of space restraints that I will mix my own, so I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on the stuff available in bags.

Comments (5)

  • 18 years ago

    Whitney Farms is my very favorite and has been for years. They have at least one blend that uses sawdust instead of peat moss.
    I tried Gardner & Bloome this year and was quite disappointed in comparison to Whitney.
    Portland Nursery stocks a good variety of the Whitney line.

  • 18 years ago

    The Canadian peat industry - the primary source of commercial sphagnum peat used for agricultural purposes in this country - is highly regulated and very closely managed. Bogs involved in the harvest of peat constitute only about .02% of mapped Canadian peat reserves - a pretty minute amount. And harvested bogs do undergo restoration. Through seeding, fertilizing and active management, these are returned to a farmable condition in as little as 7-15 years. So peat moss is not quite the non-renewable resource many of us have been lead to believe.

    Commercial potting soils are generally soil-less mixes with peat as a primary component. Coir is also used and is becoming quite popular for this purpose. I would personally rate sawdust as a primary component pretty far down on the list as it is subject to additional decomposition (which both the peat and coir are not) and so will continue to break down, compact and potentially impede drainage that is so important to a container potting mix.

    Whitney Farms is a great product line, but I switched to Gardner&Bloome a number of years ago and have never looked back :-) It is very fast draining yet has great moisture retention and a relatively high nutrient content. And because of its organic matter components, has sufficiently high populations of microorganisms necessary to utilize the organic fertilizers I prefer. To my knowledge, WF does not offer their potting soil in a bio-innoculated LifeLink formulation, although they do with various planting (not potting) mixes. It really boils down to a matter of personal choice. I just have a hard time supporting Scotts-MiracleGro, which now owns the Whitney Farms product line.

    And yes, quality commercial potting soils are not cheap, although you can save a great deal if you mix your own, if that is convenient for you. Although I container garden extensively and use a lot of potting soil, like many of us, I don't have the time or facilities to mix my own and prefer to purchase the bagged goods - I just stock up when I find it on sale :-)

  • 18 years ago

    I mix my own from scratch, but for bagged products I like many of the Pro-mix mixes. You can get it cheaper at Stueber's greenhouse supply in Snohomish.
    Also the Indoor Sun Shop house brand is a quality mix with pumice instead of perlite, so it doesn't rise to the top like perlite does.

  • 18 years ago

    Are you willing to pay a higher price? Black Gold is excellent and Whitney Farms is great so far.

  • 18 years ago

    I prefer Black Gold but if it is for container annuals or hanging baskets that get a lot of fertilizer anyway and are temporary I will use the el cheapo Earthgro brand at Home Depot.

    I have never tried Whitney Farms nor the brand Gardengal recommends.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio