Software
Houzz Logo Print
gillian8

stacked kitchen drawers

14 years ago
I'm just renovating my kitchen and came home to find that 2 of the 4 stacked utility drawers are plain fronts and the other 2 are paneled as I had ordered. They look ridiculous to me ( like 2 different shoes) but the contractor tells me this is common when the drawers are too narrow to insert the panel.. To me it looks as though they ran out of the ordered front panel. I was not told about this technical issue before the drawers were ordered. Is this commonplace?

Comments (29)

  • 14 years ago
    Sure is, especially if there machine made.
  • 14 years ago
    however, don't you think it's a strange and awkward look.... 2 and 2 on top of each other?
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    It is common particularly in 3 drawer units where the two bottom drawers are much larger. Attached is the only 4 drawer unit I could find and only the bottom drawer here is different. Much depends upon the profile of the doors and drawers you select as to what can be done.

    [houzz=
    Chartwell House · More Info
    ]
  • 14 years ago
    If the top two drawers are shorter than the bottom two, no, I don't think it will look awkward. They'll tie together if you're planning on using the same hardware on all four drawers.

    If you use the same stile and rail dimensions on a short drawer, you can end up with a very short panel. You might draw it out on paper, stick it to the door and see what you think...
  • 14 years ago
    Curious, are they shaker style
  • 14 years ago
    The comments are correct about it not being unusual and I love the photo Deborah used for you (those are my cabinets right down to the hardware). But, I understand that this is bugging you. It drove me crazy, so I decided to have all cabinet doors have recessed panels and all drawers have flat fronts.
  • 14 years ago
    I've decided to have all the drawer fronts to remain plain and hope the cup pulls will add some interest.
    Thanks for all your ideas!
  • 14 years ago
    It will look great. I get a lot of compliments on my kitchen. There is nothing wrong at all about the other way, it is that you and I like symmetry.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    We chose to do this configuration because we thought the shaker framing looked too busy on the narrower top drawers in the three drawer stack. It's very common, as long as the drawers without frames are the narrower ones, usually on top. Here's what it looks like in our little kitchen (first photo) The second photo is a configuration with four drawers, evenly split in style. The third one has all flat panels on the stack of four thin drawers but frames on the larger ones beside them. The last one is the solution it sounds like you are choosing with flat drawers throughout the kitchen but framed cabinets. They all look good to me. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these choices.
    Our kitchen renovation · More Info

    Mill Valley Bungalow · More Info

    Lafayette Residence · More Info

    Mill Valley, CA · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    feeny, finally I get to see a picture of your kitchen!!! Nice!!!
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks, Bobbi. That's our little cooking nook. All our counter space is on the other two walls.
  • 14 years ago
    Where???? I don't SEE them!!!!
  • 14 years ago
    I know. I haven't loaded photos of them yet. So you have to IMAGINE! ;-)
  • 14 years ago
    DANG!!!
  • 14 years ago
    Gorgeous kitchen feeny! My situation is much different as you can see if I can attach this image. It may need to be rotated but the 2 plain drawers are on top
  • 14 years ago
    Well at least it makes sense that the two plain drawers are on top since they appear to be shorter.. If you keep them, maybe you could do a little eye trickery - like handle placement in the center of the two plain fronts, and on the tops of the paneled doors. At least it wouldn't look like a mistake then.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Thanks, gillian! But I see what you mean about your drawers, and I think I agree with you about the solution. While they'll all look much more cohesive when the hardware has been installed, the two plain top drawers are so close in size to the paneled bottom ones that it doesn't quite follow the logic of making them flat because the panelling doesn't fit. If it is possible to make the change without added expense, I'd do either all paneled or all plain when the drawers are so close in size. But if it is a big expense to make the change, then I'd just rely on the cup pulls or other hardware to tie them all together.
  • 14 years ago
    I'm having them replace the 2 bottom drawer fronts with plain ones and hope the hardware will fill in for the boredom.
  • 14 years ago
    Don't think of it as boredom. Think of it as sleek and minimalist!
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Thanks! You have amazing style.
    I noticed that you had a great looking tile wall behind your stove and I was wondering if it was ceramic subway tile or a stone rectangular tile?
  • 14 years ago
    This post immediately made me go into my kitchen to check this out. My cabinets were custom made and all my top drawers are flat panel ( regardless of the size) and any below the top one have recessed panels. I never actually noticed it before and looks fine.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Great looking kitchen, feeny!! Well done!
  • 14 years ago
    Thank you so much, Carolyn!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I thought you were overreacting gillian, until I saw your picture. You made the right decision on the drawer fronts. I guess with a frameless cabinet line in a MDF door you end up with less options. If the designer showed you 3D drawings in a kitchen design software program the perspectives should have showed the unusual draw issue, to prepare you.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Hi Gillian,
    I have several cabinet brands that offers that exact same doorstyle, one of which only comes with exactly the same drawer heads that you originally took issue with. Knowing this when designing, I will stay away from 4 drawer units specifically for that reason, but if a client then asked for a 4 drawer unit I would explain what this would like. If they don't like it, which is often the case, I then ask them which is more important, the doorstyle or the 4 drawer unit. If they want to keep both, I'll end up switching them to the more expensive cabinet line because they have more flexibility and customization.

    @- MLKD.
    Meh, the design software and the 3d rendering are only as good as:
    1) the programers input into the design software(and/or)
    2) the particular cabinet manufactures budget for the actual programing (and/or)
    3) the design/sales person using the program to create the 3D rendering to show the client.
    Everyone's proficiency with the various 3D design programs will different depending on their experience and training with that tool. Ultimately, the cabinetry spec book is always the final say so, not the 3D renderings. At TRS, we offer more than a few cabinetry brands and each one has little quirks and differences that as professionals we need to be aware of and advise our clients of.
  • 14 years ago
    Unfortunately, I replaced the 4 drawers that were already there and never thought of changing it up. It was never suggested by the contractor to switch to three. He also never let me know that the smaller drawers would be impossible to panel as were the other two. I don't think it ever occurred to him. The drawers do have a curved frame that is mitered which has something to do with the limitations. Thanks
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Hi gillian,
    I just saw you added a question about the wall behind my range. It is 3x6 ceramic subway tile in a glossy finish (from Subway Ceramics). We used the color "bone" to match our ivory cabinets, with a grout called "Alabaster" one shade darker. It's very simple and practical--cleans up beautifully. We didn't want anything too flashy since we were doing a pretty big expanse.
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks again, it looks terrific.