Software
Houzz Logo Print
mama_mia_13

Please help identify these holes

12 years ago

I just found these tunnels and holes and piles of dirt appearing suddenly after the enormous amount of snow we had in NJ melted !!! Is it a mole ?? I need an expert's opinion to start solving the problem with the correct solution.
My yard was a mess when I bought the house 2 years ago and worked so hard to make it beautiful and clean specially for my kids. It was a nightmare seeing this !
All the mess that shows in the pictures is in about 10 x 10 feet area and the holes are about 2 inches wide. And I found 1 clean hole about 10 feet away from all this mess.
Pictures are on a Dropbox link.
Thank you.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wmt6xd4w5hd5zqy/fuN-nbuj8K

Comments (14)

  • 12 years ago

    any history of old dead trees removed?

    what is the base soil type??? ... clay??

    are the mounds soil ... or mushroom like???

    do the areas seem to be sinking???

    why was the yard a mess??? ... or i should say.. how??? any grading work???

    did you lay down sod??

    voles are a big problem on the east coast .... though i dont know about NJ .... they live on/near the surface just under snow cover... was there such over winter???

    ken

  • 12 years ago

    Voles, the curse of my garden. The key is the shallow trenches/paths through the lawn. Voles are plant eaters. They will tunnel under the snow to stay safe from preditors in the winter, and tunnel just under the surface or through meadow length grass in the summer. Moles leave larger mounds of soil, and tunnel deeper below the surface and eat grubs and worms. Your soil looks great, btw.

    I know that there are threads on the perennial gardening forum, the New England forum, and the Hosta forum on deterrents to voles. I've created a link to your photos.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Vole tunnels

  • 12 years ago

    Ken_adrian
    The previous owners neglected the backyard so it was mainly mud and weeds. But no major plants around. I will post more pictures that shows a larger view. It is soil underneath not clay the reason I know is I saw how clay looks like at a nearby neighbor backyard. I planted seeds and used fertilizers and weed killers, kept the grass short. Treated sometimes for bugs. The only plants I have in the back is small and medium size evergreens. And yes the small evergreens are about 6 months new. Thank you for detailed questions I hope I can start fixing it soon.

  • 12 years ago

    Nhbabs
    Yes I was wondering why the tunnels are on top of the soil ?! If there's are voles I read online they are very hard to rid off ! But I read the holes usually are covered those holes are not. But again I am only trying to notice details I am inexperienced. Thank you so much for posting the pictures in the other forum. It could be familiar to east coast experts ! Hopefully I will be identified soon.
    I was going to pass by our Home Depot to ask about the mole repellents the " castor oil granules " I do not wish to kill it or deal with a dead animal I just want it to live peacefully far away. I did the same with the snake I found in my basement just captured it and released it into the woods.
    I might also mention we have woods in the back of the yard.

  • 12 years ago

    I added more pictures with a panorama showing the area. The woods and the trees. No fruits or veggies plants. As I took the pictures today I noticed the damage us worse then I thought too many holes. They are about 2 inches wide and spreading to about 30 feet across !
    All the mess was in the plain area between the swing set and the shed.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures

  • 12 years ago

    Also there was a distressed juniper left by the previous owners that I removed but that was a year and a half ago.

  • 12 years ago

    Voles and moles are very different critters.

    Voles are are small - think mouse - and easy to trap, and trap,and trap some more. They leave 2 inch holes and have multiple trails that go here and there as they feed. But they don't leave dirt clods on the surface.

    Moles are much larger, tunnel underground, and make small "volcanoes" where they get rid of excess soil while tunneling underground.

    I doubt you have either of those critters.

    Tell us where you live as that's an important clue to diagnosing the problem.

  • 12 years ago

    Jean001a
    I live in NJ
    I didn't know Voles don't leave piles of dirt. Thank you for this information

    The piles found looked like droppings more then volcano ! The holes are really a lot all over a 20x20 feet area some with the dirt and some not.

    Here is the link again for the pictures

    Here is a link that might be useful: Close up pictures to the holes and piles of dirt !

  • 12 years ago

    I'm in NY and it looks like typical mole damage to me... although a few of the holes are larger than I would expect (like the pic of the hole next to your shoe), but I suppose that could be due to your soil.

    Moles will go away on their own once their good food source is gone. They eat things like beetle grubs.

  • 12 years ago

    Party_music50
    Thank you , the damage was overwhelming and nj only 2 days ! I am surprised in this cold I didn't see much bugs but maybe they are eating the grubs as well ?
    I experimented with Moth Balls in their holes to repel them. I found a similar kind used for that on a tutorial but I used the regular moth balls, dropped them in the holes and closed it with dirt. This is the third day and I don't see any new excavations like the previous 2 days. So I hope it will work to repel.
    I might as well mention I found 3 great holes the size of a soccer ball on the side if my house about 1 foot deep and I wonder of that relates to the same animal at all ! One was by plants and 2 simply in the dirt ! I used moth balls there 2.
    I used mothballs in my garage all around after my husband once saw a field mouse. We didn't see any since!
    Critters are moving out hungry I guess after all the snow we had ?

    Here is a link that might be useful: Here are the pictures to the Bigger holes !!

  • 12 years ago

    bigger holes look like woodchuck ...

    moth balls do not work for anything other than moths in closets and drawers ...

    and since its an un-labled use.. one we might suggest is a no no .,..

    moles are blind.. they live underground... they do NOT leaves tunnels on the surface ... populations spike and ebb over the years.. but they NEVER go away.. unless you make them .. its you and your plants or them.. if you cant kill them ..... then learn how to accept whatever damage they do ... as noted.. they eat grubs and worms.. etc ...

    voles are plant eaters ... and that is why.. during snow cover.. they were making trails in the grass under the snow ... again.. they will not go away. .unless you make them ...

    if you can not do it personally.. hire a professional ... especially for the big one.. tunneling under your foundation ...

    life is not a disney movie.. and when you get tired of all the damage the vermin do.. you will have to take action... either yourself.. or hiring it out... but hope and prayer will not work ...

    and neither will moth balls ... which can be very toxic when not used according to the labeled instruction..

    ken

    ps: and neither will human hair.. irish spring soap... and all the witches brews associated with various alleged cures ...

  • 12 years ago

    Suggest you contact your county's Extension Service office for advice. Then please return and tell us who the culprits are.

    use this interactive map
    http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

    Here is a link that might be useful: locate your county's Extension Service office

  • 12 years ago

    ** update
    Well still not sure what was it exactly but ...
    After I applied the moth balls into all the holes deep or not. I flooded the holes from the deepest holes I found until I saw the water coming out the other way for about 10 min. And since then I did not find any more dirt, holes or digging in my backyard.
    The big holes I found : after some investigation I found it was the neighbors out of control new dog !!! It's digging in the mulch and my beautiful front landscape !!!!!!! They used to let their other dog unleashed come pee on my front lawn and they r just watching !!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks to everyone !

    This post was edited by Mama-Mia-13 on Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 21:31

  • 12 years ago

    Moth balls really shouldn't be used for any purpose than for what they are intended....to kill the pests that feed on garments in a tightly enclosed environment. The fumes are highly toxic and the mothballs themselves are a source of non target animal poisonings. Any vet will verify that.