Software
Houzz Logo Print
mainedad_gw

Please Help identify this insect

18 years ago

Hi all,

Found a bunch of these insects in my garden last night. The were on the potatoes and tomatoes. Can anyone help me identify them?

Thanks,

Comments (10)

  • 18 years ago

    Hi Mainedad,,,,Funny, I was just going to post the same question about the same nasty insect on my potato plants. I also live in Maine. I have noticed these before on my brugmansia leaves. I HATE THEM !! and I have no idea what they are,,but I need to know what will kill them, cuz my potato plants are looking gorgeous right now. Haven't noticed any on my tomatoes yet,,but I also didn't examine those yet,,I will do that now. I look forward to finding out what they are. Ctufts

  • 18 years ago

    Ctufts,

    I hate them too. Someone mentioned that they could be Tortoise Beetles. I'm not so sure about that though.

    I'm in New Gloucester - where are you?

  • 18 years ago
  • 18 years ago

    Hi there,,,I am in Minot, just on the other side of Auburn. About 10 minutes or so from you.

  • 18 years ago

    Okay,,I went and looked at the site you provided,,Now what do we do about them??? I haven't found anything that gives information on how to treat them. I don't think insectisidal soap will work...and I don't want to put chemicals in my garden. I guess I will have to hand pick them off. UUugh !!!
    What are you doing to get rid of yours?? Let me know, Ctufts

  • 18 years ago

    So far I am just hand picking them off. They were all mating, so i could pick them off two at a time :)

    I'll keep looking to see if there is a way to remove them organically. If you find a way please let me know.

    I have some friends over in Minot. Nice town.

    Micah

  • 18 years ago

    Okay,,I will let you know if I find a cure.

  • 11 years ago

    Have found these in my garden on my tomato plants in Windham, Maine - - not too far from where others have noticed them in Maine. Has anyone found an effective way to remove them from gardens since the last post in 2008? I have been picking them off one by one, but I have other things that I need to attend to. I just applied a Pyrethrum insecticide yesterday and will keep everyone abreast of its success or not.


  • 11 years ago

    No, but I have also noticed they are not much of a problem. They do chew small holes but there are not many of them most of the time to do a lot of damage. I am currently having a problem with cucumber beetles. They ruined much of my squash and cukes last year, and this year I see a few, but not as many. They are on my ground cherry plants. I actually had to break down and apply some sevin dust..(ugh, shuttering at the though)..but nothing else seems to work. I have tried Neem oil and that does not work well.


  • 11 years ago

    I am not so concerned about them consuming the plants as I am about them creating pathways for disease to ruin the plants and cause untimely death and crop
    under production.