Software
Houzz Logo Print
joan_h_gw

Privet disease

11 years ago

This is on a waxleaf privet. I don't know if it's bacteria or fungus or just what, and I definitely don't know what to do about it. Any Ideas?

Comments (11)

  • 11 years ago

    Joan.H, Check out this site and see if it matches.

  • 11 years ago

    That's it! I know fungus can be difficult to control, but just knowing what it is, I think, is a good part of the battle. Thanks so much!

  • 11 years ago

    Yeah, I do see a little bit of difference in the 2 pictures. What I don't understand, though, is why only certain spots on the leaves are affected if it's sunburn. I would expect the entire leaf to be affected as well as many, or even most, of the leaves on the plant to show evidence of sunburn.

  • 11 years ago

    where are you ...

    and what have you already sprayed the plant with???? ... it looks like you have already done so ...

    lets see a pic of the whole ..

    if its one or two sprigs.. i usually simply cut them off and be done with it
    privet are popular.. because they should relatively carefree ... and you are jumping to disease and aggressive treatment .... which should be a rarity.. rather than the norm ...

    ken

  • 11 years ago

    The most severely damaged spots are the highest part of the leaf because, there, the sun's rays hit the leaf at a right angle -- as in Kapow!

    The leaf slopes downhill from the high spots. Thus, the rays hit the down slope at an obtuse (larger than 90 degree) angle. The effect is less damaging than if at a right angle (90 degrees).

  • 11 years ago

    I'm in a pretty mild area in So. California. So far, I haven't treated the plant because I didn't know what it was. Once I learn what the problem really is, I can determine whether or not I should even worry about it. Don't want it doing any real damage. Thanks for the input.

    Thanks for your answer, too, Jean.

  • 11 years ago

    Don't know which "mild" are you are.

    I lived in Long Beach, just about a half mile from the beach, with prevailing ocean winds. Typically very mild. I enjoyed it for 30-some years.

    But when santana winds kicked in, the weather wasn't mild nor pleasant. Ir was hot, with very low humidity, bright sunlight, and searing winds.

    Your damage occurred some time ago.
    If you don't like looking at the damage, remove those few leaves.
    If the leaves are many, my choice would be to retain them because they still have a lot of green which is "feeding" the plant.

    Always your choice.

  • 11 years ago

    Joan.H, I cannot recall a single instance of a Ligistrum - shrub, hedge, tree, in the landscape - which did not present a symptom (there are a few) of Cercospora (there are at least 3).
    Here is a very readable Newspaper item on the subject.

    This post was edited by ronalawn82 on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 17:29

  • 11 years ago

    Joan.H, you did identify the main difference between sunburn and disease symptoms. The former occurs in a band across the full width of the leaf surface; the coloration is characteristically even. The latter start off as discrete spots - of one color or another - which may merge. There is often a 'halo' of lighter color surrounding the central spot. Again, the tendency to merge masks out the color differences. Sometimes the center falls out, leaving an irregularly shaped hole in the leaf. I have often misdiagnosed this as insect (beetle) damage.
    As is my habit, here is another site.

  • 11 years ago

    Wonderful information, everybody. Just what I needed. Thanks, all, very much!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting