Landscaper Looks For Big Break

Cady
18 years ago

This one is for Laag, Mohave Kid and the gang. From this week's "The Onion."

Here is a link that might be useful: Looking for the Big Break

Comments (5)

• laag
    18 years ago

He has a common young 'scaper mentality. It is when someone believes in himself past the point of his own accomplishments that he ignores the the other half of the equation.

He is like the carpenter working for a great builder. He bangs in all of the nails and believes he has built the house on his own. He quits and expects that someone should hire him to build a house.

The other half of the equation is to run the business. Whether you run a business or not, you have to understand there is often more work, skill, experience, and risk involved in running the business vs. having the skills to do the work on the ground.

This guy mows lawns and puts down mulch - the same thing his help is doing for him. The difference is that he feels gifted in his ability to do it and then he wants the best work based on his gut feeling that he can do it better - not that he has actually done it better.

There are way to many names and addresses dropped in that article - very unprofessional and disrespectful of private people as well as competitors.

He implies that the others are only successful because someone GAVE them good projects. He does not see that they may have gone out and got them by hard work and a history of success.

• Cady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Laag,
    I have to tell you -- the article is from "The Onion," a satirical "spoof" newspaper that writes absurd, fictitious articles about social, cultural and political issues and daily life. The paper frequently spoofs the obvious. Read some of the other stories on the site and you'll get the picture!

The guy in the story is fictitious, and the point of the article being to satirize mow-blow-and-go guys who can't see beyond the banal. :)

• Cady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

...and I apologize for not making it clear in my first post that The Onion is a satirical site! Maybe I should have waited until April 1. :^/

• laag
    18 years ago

That was good use of my time.

I recognize the picture from an advertisement, now. I thought it looked familiar. It is for an NRA ad. That guy is a cop, if I'm right.

Thanks

• Cady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Actually, I thought your analysis was right on the money. I suspect there are real-life "landscapers" with limited expectations and ideas of what good design and landscape should be, and you nailed the attitude perfectly.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH