Software
Houzz Logo Print
northknoxlady

The insane fish fiasco...

21 years ago

Okay, so I can't afford a koi pond, but for some weird reason while I was cruising through WalMart the other day I decided that maybe two goldfish in a small clear plastic holding tank would do. I figured--Yeah! I can put them under the bushes along my border and then just sit there and contemplate them.

Unfortunately when I looked on the web to find articles about "goldfish kept in boxes in your garden" Google just laughed at me.

Then I started reading about how goldfish are so often abused by being kept in too small spaces, how they can get diseased or mentally ill from the stress. I also learned sunlight produces algae and that goldfish have particularly strong poop and that's when the guilt and folly of it all set in. Embarassed I started calling all mothers and grandmothers I knew, but all of them had "already been through the fish thing"--implying they had probably previously killed a few on their own?

So now I have to bring them back to WalMart. What do I do? Bring them to the customer service desk and start ranting about not being able to handle the responsibility--or do I just leave the tank and all on the doorstep of the aquarium section, like you'd leave unwanted babies at a convent?

This whole thing makes me realize just how truly insane I am.

Amazingly though, the fish are having the time of their lives. Real green fronds waving before their eyes. An occasional predator cat or bird sliding by--oh the adreniline rush of it all! And then there's natural light! Day and night! Sometimes I think maybe I should just leave them out there and see if they make it--at least they would have had a few days of pure natural bliss. Then if they died at least they would die happy...

Anyone want two lovely goldfish in a tiny plastic box with food and a net? They're free...

Comments (15)

  • 21 years ago

    Caroleann, I suspect if you take the fish back to Walmart that they will not put them back in the tank with the other fish. They probably would get flushed!

    Why don't you take a large pot without a hole (Big Lots usually has a bunch)and create a small water garden for the fish? I picked up some water plants this weekend at a swap and can give you enough to provide some shade for your fish (and keep down the algae). Plus you will have your own little water garden then!!!

  • 21 years ago

    Carole,
    We have a 20,000 gallon swimming pool that gets to 90 by July. How fast do you think it will take your plastic box to cook your fish!!???

  • 21 years ago

    As an experienced and world renowned fish psychiatrist myself, I can tell you that after many years of treating the aquatically mentally ill & handicapped, this situation is not something to be taken lightly. You should immediately seek the help of a true professional and get these poor goldfish several weeks of therapy and medication. I think that I can get you a referral. AmazonDoc should know someone as well. I'm sure that they have already been severely scared mentally as well as emotionally so the sooner the better for their sake.

    You might also want to call P.E.T.A. and ask their advice on how to at least temporarily lessen the trauma, indecency, cruelty and barbarism that these defenseless little creatures have been subjected to through no fault of their own. The idea of keeping these sentient animals captive against their will, separating them from their families and offering them into servitude for your personal entertainment is an abomination.

    They also need representation by a qualified attorney!!! I'm irate and thinking class-action suit against WalMart on the behalf of the repressed Goldfish, Guppies, Beta, Angelfish, Koy, Suckerfish, Catfish and their families worldwide.

    Then again......personally I'd either use them as fertilizer for the flower bed or flush 'em, but that's just me!

  • 21 years ago

    ROFL

  • 21 years ago

    Thanks folks for all the good advice. I think I will try to find a nice deep pot for them at Big Lots. I was a afraid Itchi my cat might scoop them up if it was too shallow. I guess if I give them a couple of plants to hide and maybe a rock or two, they might be able to avoid any run-ins with him. He actually loves watching them in their little box. It's better than tv! He hasn't pawed around on it or anything. I doubt the heat will be a problem as I will set it in a shady spot & fish do survive outdoors in fairly shallow pools. I intend to change the water often. Oh, well, I guess I'll keep the little darlings for now & if all else fails I will (gulp) compost them...

  • 21 years ago

    if the cat gets them i think your problem is solved isnt it?

  • 21 years ago

    Release them back into the wild from whence they came! Largemouth will thank you.

  • 21 years ago

    LOL.

    Trust me -- those fish are MUCH better off with you than at Walmart!

    First -- they will probably die of disease no matter what you do. Sorry, but most fish from Walmart already have ich. But here's a reasonable way to make them reasonably happy.

    Buy a large plastic storage tub. The bigger the better -- at least 10 gallons, 20 or 30 would be better! I like the translucent ones so I can look at the fishies through the side. Plop it down somewhere in the shade. Fill it with water. Add various small bog and aquatic plants to suit your fancy. Wait long enough for the chlorine to dissipate, or add dechlorinator. Add fish. The fish will get great nutrition from the mosquito larvae that will add themselves to the tank, they'll fertilize the plants with their poop, the plants will filter the water and give the fish shelter, and everyone will have a good time. And you'll get to grow new plants to boot! :-)

  • 21 years ago

    Big Orange--

    I was fishing in the Harpeth one day and the biggest goldfish I've ever seen was swimming around. Made me wonder if he had been flushed down some toilet and ended up there.

  • 21 years ago

    Jay are you sure it wasn't a Drum, they are huge and look kinda like Goldfish? I'd bet that some Largemouth would hit those little Goldfish but they're just too expensive to use as bait.
    I haven't been able to go fishin' for three weeks now and I'm having DT's! We're heading out to Normandy on Saturday but I'm afraid that all this rain is gonna muddy up the water so that the Crappie won't bite. I'll probably have bad karma because of this post as well. I wonder if any universities have a class in "fish wispering". ;-)

    Renee what happened? I won't start another riot with my cat opinion but I do hope that you're ok. I'm sure that Eric is giving you all the TLC you need. Tell him we said "Hi" and to come with you and your Mom to the Swap this year.

  • 21 years ago

    No, I've caught drum and this fish wasn't anywhere near that size. The thing that caught my eye was the bright orange color, and it was about four inches long and fat... like a goldfish that had made it in the wild for some time. Pretty wild. Good luck with the crappie.

  • 21 years ago

    landrover I live in Sevierville, 2 years ago I bought 4 Oranda goldfish, for my outside pond, from Wal-Mart they are now 4 to 5 inches long and are a delight to watch. They eat out of my hand. I seen at the K-Mart here in Sevierville a small pond kit for $49.00 and this has a small fountain and water filter pump with it. I bought my mom one last year and they are really neat for a small water feature. I don't know if that is more money than you want to spend but be careful having a goldfish pond is very addictive and before the summer is over you will want to be digging a much larger outside pond.
    Have Fun,

  • 21 years ago

    I have a goldfish pond and they, the goldfish, do quite well. If you would like to drive them to Lebanon I'll take them off your hands. We could start a goldfish rescue team!

  • 21 years ago

    As a long time aquarium keeper, I can tell you fish thrive on neglect, just don't over crowd them. The water will cycle in (nitrifying bacteria developing to break down ammonia) in about 20 days. Don't worry if the water gets cloudy. It's a natural part of the cycle and will pass. In aquariums, we remove 20% of the water every other week, or 10% every week, and replace with clean water. If you get algae, you're letting in too much sun or overfeeding(fish waste = algae fertilizer). Shading the water with waterlilies or duckweed or other water plants will cut down on sun. You can get a tablespoon of duckweed for next to nothing at aquarium stores and it will take over. However, I'm a cat person, and this will impede his view.

    I haven't shopped for goldfish in years, but the little 12 cent fantail goldfish they had at Wal-mart were my favorites. Wonder if my brother would notice if I stocked his pond?

  • 21 years ago

    Well one of the fish died..unknown causes...the other is still surving so I named him Robinson Caruso. I bought a very large plastic planter and put him in there along with a plant I had been growing in water all winter. He really likes the plant. He hides under it. I've decided I'm really not ready for this fish thing yet. Everywhjere I go I keep begging people to take Caruso, but no one will. Then last night a friend suggested taking him in a baggie down to the big fish pond they have at Fountain City Park and then just releasing him. So you may find me there at dusk, casually pulling the poor dear from my pocket. You may see me saying a small prayer of gratitude for his life and for the lessons I have learned during the great fish fiasco. Let's hope all turns out well....the way this thing has gone, I'll probably get arrested or something...haha! caroleann

Sponsored