Software
Houzz Logo Print
chinese_narcissus

insects in pot

20 years ago

Hi,

Recently I found lots of tiny insects moving in pots. Since I plant flowers indoors, these insects are really disturbing me and my colleagues.

I put some camphor balls in pot, unfortunately, they didn't work very well except smoking me.

Can some one give me some suggestions on how to deal with those insects? If I use anti-insect spray, will it hurt my flowers?

Thanks.

Chinese narcissus

Comments (10)

  • 20 years ago

    A better description of the problem is required before we can help you. Are these critters in the potting medium only? No flying around, crawling on the plant, etc.?

    Put away the moth balls; they are highly toxic and are not supposed to be placed anywhere near humans or pets of any kind.

  • 20 years ago

    Thanks for your questions and consideration, Rhizo.

    These insects grew up in pot soil which I purchased from Home Depot. They can fly around, but not crawl on the plants quite often.

    Since these insects appeared in almost every pot as long as the soil inside was from same bag of pot soil, I am quite sure insects weren't generated by plants.

    Thanks again for helps.

    PS: Camphor ball was extracted from woods, at low dose, it isn't highly toxic. Attached please see some information I searched online.

    Camphor is a white transparent waxy crystalline solid with a strong penetrating pungent aromatic odor. It is found in wood of the camphor laurel, a large evergreen tree found in Asia.

    Modern uses include as a moth repellent, as an antimicrobial substance. It is also used in medicine. Camphor is readily absorbed through the skin and produces a feeling of cooling similar to that of menthol and acts as slight local anesthetic and antimicrobial substance. It may also be administered orally in small quantities (50 mg) for minor heart symptoms and fatigue. Camphor is also used as a flavoring in sweets in India and Europe.

    In larger quantities, it is poisonous when ingested and can cause seizures, confusion, irritability, and neuromuscular hyperactivity. In 1980, the United States Food and Drug Administration set a limit of 11% allowable camphor in consumer products and totally banned products labeled as camphorated oil, camphor oil, camphor liniment, and camphorated liniment. Since alternative treatments exist, medicinal use of camphor is discouraged by the FDA, except for skin-related uses, such as medicated powders, which contain only small amounts of camphor.

  • 20 years ago

    The insects may be fungus gnats. This is probably the most common insect found in potting soil. You can look them up on the web and see if the description matches your insects.

    If they are fungus gnats, I would recommend a product similar to 'Knock-Out Gnats' available from Gardens Alive for $19.95.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Gardens Alive

  • 20 years ago

    They are fungus gnats only if you notice plenty of adult gnats flitting around. The larvae are small wormy looking critters that come up to the surface when you water. You could also have springtails, which are a VERY common critter of container soil. The fungus gnat product will do nothing to control the springtails.

    SO! Back to square one....have you seen quite a few gnat-like flying insects? They would be annoying as they fly around the room, but always come back to the plant (the adult females lay eggs in the soil).

    THANK you for sending that information on the camphor ball. I was certain that you meant the highly toxic moth balls that so many people use for all kinds of wrong reasons.

  • 20 years ago

    Springtails don't have wings and cannot fly. They do "spring" or flip up into the air, hence the name springtail. So, if they are really flying, like was stated, I'd say fungus gnats are a pretty good guess. As I said earlier though, do a little research on the web to be sure.

  • 20 years ago

    p.s. Just for clarity, the number of insects does not necessarily determine the type of insect. With fungus gnats, you may "notice plenty of adult gnats flitting around" or you may only notice 1 or 2 at a time. The number will obviously depend on the severity of the infestation.

  • 20 years ago

    As long as we're on the subject...what are these tiny little red things everywhere that look like chiggers?

  • 20 years ago

    Hi, Dear friends,

    Thanks for all nice suggestions.

    After surfing with the IMAGINE searching engine of Google, I was able to take a look at the photos of fungus gnats and springtails. I am pretty sure those insects in my pots are fungus gnats.

    Brandon7, I have several more questions: since the Frost Proof Gardenia is blooming now and several other flowers are sprouting, I am not sure whether 'Knock-Out Gnats' could hurt them or not? If not, do I have to order it online from Gardens Alive? Can I get it from Home Depot or Lowe's?

    Thanks again.

    Chinese narcissus

  • 20 years ago

    Hi, Brandon7,

    I checked the availability of 'Knock-Out Gnats' on the websites of Home Depot and Lowe's, since it isn't available there, I placed order on Amazon.com.

    Thanks.

    Chinese narcissus

  • 20 years ago

    BOV: I think you're talking about spider mites. Terrible little critters that eat my plants!

    chinese_narcissus: Although I wouldn't bet a million dollars it wouldn't hurt ANY plant, I THINK "Knock-Out Gnats" should be completely safe. It's just B.t. Follow the directions on the bottle and you should be safe.

Sponsored