Software
Houzz Logo Print
tngreenthumb

Caught a Hummer!

20 years ago

Well, with my camera, that is. I'm afraid these little flying jewels are about to head South.

We'll miss 'em!

(Click for larger image)

Comments (10)

  • 20 years ago

    Cool. I saw one Sunday. It was the first time I had ever been able to watch one for any period of time. Most of the time someone tells me it was a hummingbird after I see something zapping by and can't identify it. This time, I was finally 100% sure of what I saw.

  • 20 years ago

    Gorgeous, Joe. Most of my hummers have already left...talked to my DIL and her's have gone, too. Just a few left. Boy did our campers and canoers enjoy all of ours this year...some had never seen them up close. The kids were fasciniated with them. We had so many that I had to put up another feeder.

  • 20 years ago

    The picture is beautiful. You have to be quick to get that! We are north of Chattanooga and still have many of our hummers here (on Sept. 14). I thought some of you might be interested in knowing that last year I read (in the local paper I think) that some hummers are staying on all winter. It is just one variety and I'm not sure which one. Also last year, a local news station covered a story of one that was living in the lobby of a nursing home downtown. The people there actually loved her so much they left a door cracked for her. She nested in a fixture up at the ceiling.
    I have flowering plants inside on lighted shelves next to a glass door and they come up to the door all the time to try to get at those flowers. They seem to feel cheated even though we keep 3 feeders filled for them and have a garden full of flowers.
    Has anyone noticed how much they fight? We sit and watch them have their brutal little swordfights while sinking right down to the ground sometimes.
    I can't think of another creature that is more enjoyable to have around your garden!

  • 20 years ago

    Mine are still around in the fairview area.. My hummers like to fight of the yellow jackets that are looking for a sip of nectar. Then the other hummingbirds try to come in while he is distracted but he catches them and chases them off and then perches above his feeder and just watches over it.

  • 20 years ago

    Please tell me what kind of camera ? I live in Kingsport and the hummers are still here.Great picture.Patricia

  • 20 years ago

    I love the nursing home story!

  • 20 years ago

    Hi guys...great picture Jeff....my hummers are still here in west tn as well. They love my morning glories and the cats are like mom what was that.....
    Martha

  • 20 years ago

    We still have many hummers here in Lincoln County. Not only are they at the feeders, but are loving the jewelweed all along the creek.

    Becky

  • 20 years ago

    Patricia: The camera used is a Nikon D70 DSLR. The lens is a Nikkor 135mm f2 AF-DC.

    My best hummer shot was taken with a Fuji S602z though.

  • 19 years ago

    Thanks for the info. I like the pictures.Patricia