Software
Houzz Logo Print
rizzir

Very expensive passiflora cuttings

20 years ago

The passiflora cuttings I got from Judith have turned out to be very expensive...

This morning I packed them (in their little tray of water) and an electric heat pad into my truck to bring to work so they get bottom heat.

They shifted off the seat while I was driving in my neighborhood, so I reached down to move them so they wouldn't spill.

Perhaps at this point I should mention that my truck pulls to the right and it is necessary to maintain constant downward pressure on the left side of the steering wheel to keep the truck going straight...

The next thing I knew I was up in the air sideways, then bouncing down again. I had just run over my neighbor's car. I totaled it.

As for my truck... I HOPE I totaled it. That thing is a lemon. We have dumped thousands into fixing that S-10, and it only has 86k miles. The TIE ROD on the right snapped right off from this accident... and I was going only 25mph or less.

-Regina

who needs chocolate

Comments (10)

  • 20 years ago

    Oh, Regina!
    Oh, that crrruuunnnccchhh-wham sound! Makes my skin crawl just to think of it. Money's important, but the REALLY important thing is that you're OK. Maybe this will be a blessing in disguise and you'll get a new truck. And... I hope you were able to save those expensive cuttings.

    Virginia

  • 20 years ago

    OH my. I hope you are not too banged up! And I hope you have good insurance!

  • 20 years ago

    I'm fine. I didn't even get jarred (well, I guess my nerves were jarred and my ego is definitely bruised.)

    The passifloras spent some time without water. They're looking a little sad in their container right now. Never have gotten around to setting up that heat pad.

    As for insurance... the truck is technically my SO's. We're not married. I have insurance through State Farm but they said the insurance follows the vehicle except when you get hurt (if I had been, my insurance would have covered my health bills.) So I'm dealing with his Allstate policy. We'll see what happens since he wasn't even there when it occurred.

    -Regina
    who felt like she was a driver on "Monster Truck Wars"

  • 20 years ago

    Good luck! And don't be surprised if you're stiff and sore tomorrow!

  • 20 years ago

    Oh so sorry, Regina! But glad that you are ok!!

  • 20 years ago

    Gosh, Regina, I thought I was the only one that drove that way! Glad you weren't hurt!

    Rebecca

  • 20 years ago

    OUch !! Hope you're ok !!

  • 20 years ago

    The latest is that everyone now thinks the tierod probably broke at the moment I happened to look down. I was heading straight and was not particularly close the side of the road as I was driving along. Also, I was not easily able to tear the truck away from the parked car - it had to drift along the side of the car until the tire straightened out again - then I was able to go forward a little distance before the tire went askew once more. Apparently it is common for a vehicle to suddenly change directions when the tierod breaks. The policeman put that in his report.

    The policeman said I should consider myself lucky that this occurred while I was going so slowly, not when I was going 70 on the highway...

  • 20 years ago

    The adjuster finally looked at our truck. He offered us $6200 for it! We're ecstatic because we tried to sell it before, and couldn't get $3500 for it! Woo hoo! I'm sad that I don't have a pickup truck anymore (just when I really need to get a few loads of mulch!) but I'm SOOOOOO glad to be rid of that lemon. I doubt we're getting another pickup any time soon... I suspect its replacement will be a sedan. But I'm hoping for a low-mileage, Japanese sedan this time because I'm TIRED of car repairs.

  • 20 years ago

    Good for you!

    When my 4-Runner was totalled, I was also pleased with the settlement. I guess that's what insurance companies are for!

Sponsored