Software
Houzz Logo Print
sudolori

Seeking curb appeal

13 years ago
last modified: 13 years ago
We're desperately seeking curb appeal for the house. Some thoughts were black shutters, black entry door, making front porch surround more substantial? The only things that are off limits for the time being are the roof, windows, and brick. Any and all ideas are welcome! Thanks!

Comments (18)

  • 13 years ago
    Oh maybe not the pots in that position they might look weird behind the porch supportd
  • 13 years ago
    I like the dark gray shutter idea. And definitely some planters/life around the door are in order. Thanks. I don't care for the front door so I'll be replacing that. Not sure what I'll replace it with but should I keep it white?
  • 13 years ago
    Love the idea of deep charcoal shutters and if you're replacing the front door, paint it the same color as shutters! Move planters to a more focal point and add pops of colors in them as seasons change! I can't tell what the porch is made of? Concrete or wood, etc.? If wood, strip it and stain it a lighter shade of grey. If concrete, you can clean & stain it a lighter shade of grey as well. Use outdoor room rugs (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc have them marked down this time of year!) to add color. You could keep chairs, just re-arrange and add colorful cushions to add pops of colors as seasons change!! Maybe add some shrubbery and low growing plants along the front flank ends with a nice Japanese Maple with up lighting. Your possibilities are unlimited!! I just love charcoal or black shutters and doors!!! They are timeless!! Good luck!!
  • 13 years ago
    Addition!! Sorry The picture I looked at was small!! You may expand the area a bit to accommodate the chairs and planters!!
  • 13 years ago
    Replace the garage door and shutters with a beautiful wood to tie it all together. Enlarge front entry and patio area. Top it off with a new wood front door.
  • 13 years ago
    Good ideas! The porch is poured concrete so plain 'ol gray color. I didn't think about expanding the porch but I like that idea. Maybe curve (half circle?) the porch a bit to help with the angular lines?
  • 13 years ago
    Pull the grass out of the bed to the right of the house between the sidewalk and foundation and fill in with more low shrubs and perennials, it will soften the lines of the house. adding a lampost near the driveway on the left side of that sidewalk would also be pretty, with a bed of annuals at the base. Don't know your planting zone, but pansies in spring, impatiens in summer and mums in fall would add some seasonal color.
  • 13 years ago
    You can buy a new front metal door that comes stained to look just like wood and be maint free. The new poured concrete larger porch could be pebble coated or stained and stamped to resemble any kind of stone.
  • 13 years ago
    Yes definitely add to porch w/ concrete. Any shape, semi-circle to soften the lines would work or just extend to length & width desired. You have a large lawn and need to add some ornamental trees with underlying beds or something to draw eyes toward the "New Look" when finished!! I'll post some pics of my front soon & maybe you can help us!! Ha Ha! Straight cliff for front yard!!! Several other cliffs in back!! No flat place except where house sits!! I'd give anything to have your lawn!!! Post pics when finished!! Guess you gave me a bug! Going to work in yard now!!
  • 13 years ago
    The oval glass door you have should sell on CL.
    The Garage Door looks newer- check with local door co.'s regarding adding a new section with glass panels. to save.
    The front porch is a nice focal point- It's difficult to see the detail on the ubderside of front porch at roof line. -evaluate if the roof header structure is wide enough to add another set of matching columns ( two on each side ), to widen the verticals and more in proportion to the width of the roof itself.:
    add brick edging to walk to widen and add detail
    Painted panels below left side windows- consider changing shutters to full length to match those on right.
  • 13 years ago
    GREAT ideas! Thanks!
    It is a HUGE lawn area and I do think it needs more plants and a little less grass in areas. I have a black thumb so I'll be hiring that out to a landscaping company :) I really like the idea of taking out the lawn portion on the other side of the sidewalk.
    The garage door is newer so I'd rather not replace it just yet. Nothing wrong with it, but it is bland. I might see about adding some glass panels.
    That's a new entry door so selling it on CL is a great idea. Thanks.
    I think if I widen the porch concrete footprint, I would be able to add another column on each side. Right now the colums are round and a bit too thin - bigger columns that appear to have more weight would help too.
  • 13 years ago
    I don't care for white siding below the windows on the left. A lot of houses in the neighborhood have something like it so it must've been popular at the time. I would love to replace it with brick but it could be difficult to match 60+ year old brick.
  • 13 years ago
    Showing to much of the house takes away the want to explore
    Hiding some shows a lovely homely building ,plants for speed thought white went nice with roof which is a main part of your houses colour hope this helps
  • 13 years ago
    I'd replace the light in the door with a full rectangle & paint the door a soft black. I agree that the porch would look much better if it were a little more substantial - use square post cladding. Also, bringing the steps out forward would look good too . As for the siding under the left windows, if you can't afford to replace it with the same brick, I'd just plant higher bushes in front or look for a colour to diminish the look. If you're really flush, install a co-ordinating stone on the front of the entire house, it'll give the house more presence & take care of the siding under those windows :)
  • 13 years ago
    Black shutters, red door.
    Remove those chairs from there or only use 1, but something not plastic. If the spot is big enough, use a small wood bench and colorful pillow w/outdoor material.

    Also, remove the Grass in the curved area and fillet in with low growing shrub maybe a small dwarf red Maple.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    there are lots of options here. Too much to type out... but a sketch or two, perhaps a 3-d model of your home showing some proposed changes will go a long way to showing you the possibilities. We'd be happy to help http://www.SouthernEvergreenArchitecture.com
  • 13 years ago
    I know you said windows are "off limits for the time being". But perhaps down the road, another option for windows with siding below could be to replace the windows with much larger ones that fill the entire gap in the brick. Not sure what rooms are behind these windows.