Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nerak_gw

white fly how to prep. soil for next yr.

nerak
12 years ago

I have been growing tomato's for 25 yrs. and never had this problem until last yr. This yr. in knowing about the white fly problem from last yr I bought live lady beetles in a series of 3 deliveries. At first my tomato's looked good/normal with no sign of the pest.Around the middle of August I noticed that the white fly was back and worst than last yr. My crop was 1/4 of what I got last yr.

Also the white fly last yr seemed to be on only orange Brandywine so I dug them up and disposed of them in garbage bags. I think the larva is in the soil because this yr. was so much worst.

I resorted to all season oil-no help. I tried hot pepper wax this helped for about 2 wks. Insectide soap 2 wks.

I have picked the tomato's when they just start to turn pink. But the plants are not producing as they should.

I would like to know if there is anything that I can do to my soil now to kill the larva so I do not have the problem next yr. We are almost ready to start clean up of the gardens for the winter.

The live lady bugs did not work! I also bought lacewings and they did not work. Is there something I can add to the soil to correct this problem. I'm worried that next yr. I won't have any tomato's.

Thanks for any help.

karen

Comments (11)

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Whiteflies spend their entire life on plants. They're not in the soil.

Grow healthy plants and you will have few if any whitefly problems except late in the season when the tomato plants are stressed.

• missingtheobvious
    12 years ago

I've never bought ladybugs or lacewings. I've heard the I-bought-them-and-they-all-disappeared story a few times; have you read up on what keeps them happy?

This article talks about plants which are attractive to ladybugs:
    http://oldfashionedliving.com/ladybugs.html

This article talks about how different varieties of ladybugs are attracted by different things:
    http://www.ehow.com/list_6001841_plants-attract-lady-bugs.html

Mint and garlic are supposed to repel ladybugs; are you growing those nearby? Likewise lemon (and I assume lemon verbena).

Before buying the good bugs, had you sprayed with an insecticide which might have remained longer than you expected? Do any of your near neighbors use insecticides? If someone in the neighborhood has had a problem with ladybugs trying to overwinter inside their house or garage, they might have sprayed something long-lasting. Does your city or county fog for mosquitoes? Has anyone in the neighborhood sprayed for ticks? Diatomaceous earth will kill them -- have you dusted your plants with DE to combat slugs, ants, earwigs, or other bad guys?

And, unfortunately, both Neem and insecticidal soap sprays will kill a few of the good bugs as well as the aphids and whiteflies. 8-(

• nerak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This yr. I tried very hard to stay organic because we are eating the tomato's. So I did not spray anything until
    it was way to late to control the white fly.

The lady beetles did work for my honeysuckle vine in getting rid of the aphids.

I also bought good nematodes early for the grubs and cut worms and this did help in the begining of the season, so using pesticides was last resort.

I did check for lady bug larva and did not see any on my plants (tomato),but I did see the larva on the honeysuckle vine.

I'm thinking of trying to poss. trying to burn the area were I plant tomato's. Has anyone tried this?

I did not dust plants with anything. Neighbors don't plant.
    I did not hear of any fogging going on. Several yrs. ago we had a very bad gypsy moth infestation in the whole area and I wanted them to fog, and they did not. We lost hundreds of pin oaks in the woods in back of my yard (my woods),and had to close the pool early. We couldn't even walk out side, very nasty.

By the time I use both the Neem and soap the plant were very infested. Spraying cause a white cloud of insects and then they were back.

Looking for prevention now for next yr.

Thanks
    karen

• jean001a
    12 years ago

As has been said:

Whiteflies spend their entire life on plants.

Whiteflies are *not* in the soil. NOT ever!

• wm_wagner
    7 years ago

Ortho Home Defense is the best product on the market for keeping bugs out of the house and killing the bugs inside. The label said it will not harm plants but try not to get it on the leaves themselves. So I sprayed the soil of one of my house plants. We'll see...

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    7 years ago

White Flies have 3 stages of life. (or that is what I have heard). So might kill them in one stage but they may emerge . You have to be diligent and consistent combating them. I find NEEM OIL spray a goo all around pest control. Of course there are many other pesticides. Other home made spray is soap water, baking soda, milk,

White flies are very similar to aphids in their infestation.. But since they have wings, can fly away and come back. hehe

• wm_wagner
    7 years ago

I sprayed the POTTING SOIL of a geranium and a flowering plant that I don't know the name of with the Ortho inside outside Home Defense. The white fly are Gone overnight!! There was so many white fly buzzing around the room I had to take them outside to get rid of the dead leaves. After having done this I think if I had just sprayed the pots I would have gotten the same results, but I don't know for sure.

• nandina
    7 years ago

White fly is a notorious hitchhiker waiting for you to purchase nursery/box store spring transplants. Usually this is how white fly is introduced into gardens, from an outside plant source. Your best defense is to slow down, study the plants you want to purchase, check underneath leaves looking for white fly. Also, as you stand looking at a block of starter plants for sale lightly brush the palm of your hand over the plant tops several times. This action will cause hidden white flies, if present, to visibly rise above the plants. Be alert!

• gorbelly
    7 years ago

Here's a good page with companion plants to nurture and attract beneficial predators.

http://permaculturenews.org/2014/10/04/plants-attract-beneficial-insects/

Note that it's the flowers that help them the most, so get a good mix going so that something is always flowering, and plant extra herbs so that you can let some of them bolt and go to flower.

• HU-191199929
    2 years ago

none of the above really say what action to take so the flys don't return next year. I have the same problem, nothing worked, neem, soap, home and garden insecticide. Am I doomed for next season