Software
Houzz Logo Print
tjain_seattle

Smoke/Fumes from oven range GE Profile

12 years ago

I just bought a house that has a GE profile convection oven. The house is 16 years old so I am guessing so is the oven. When we started the oven the first time at 350, whole lot of smoke came out and the smoke alarms went off.

We switched it off and since then we have never used it. Now I would like to use it and trying to see what could be the problem and how to go about it.

Most sites I have read suggest cleaning. However this oven is shining clean. I don't think the previous owners used it at all, which is believable since they barely lived here.

So I dont think its dirt. What could be causing all the smoke? Should I try cleaning. I am afraid this may result in more smoke.

Its a built in convection oven. Model K KP16G0V1BB

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated

Comments (6)

  • 12 years ago

    I would also have suggested cleaning, but it sounds like that's not the problem. It could well be that the wiring or the insulation on the wiring is bad and causing the smoke. I would not recommend using it again. You could get a service tech in to check it out but if it's 16 years old you'd probably just be better off replacing it.

  • 12 years ago

    Most new ovens will do this the first time they're turned on. Oils left over from manufacturing process burning off. It could be that the oven was never used, so you basically have a brand new 16 year old oven. IF this is the case, the problem would be resolved by just using for a while and dealing with the smell. If this were a brand new oven you had just purchased I would suggest using the self clean cycle to speed up the process, and if there were any issues warranty would cover it, but since this doesn't apply to you, and you aren't sure of the source of the smell I wouldn't suggest doing that.

    That could be a possible explanation for the smell. Having said that, I'm with weissman on this one. I don't want to suggest you just ignore it in case there actually is a problem.

  • 12 years ago

    I'm certainly not an appliance expert. But -if- it smells like regular cooking type smoke, then I'd look at cleaning any exposed heating elements, like the broiler coils. They may look clean, but really have a layer of crud on them.

    If it smells more chemical/electric/plastic-y or just "not right" then I'd not use it until checked out.

    Also make sure you have an appropriate fire estinguisher handy, and check that it is still properly charged.

  • 2 years ago

    We just purchased a new GE Cafe Appliances and our electric range is smoking and plastic burning smell. We began running in the problem immediately upon first use. We followed their support documentation and videos online but the smell is so bad we had to ventilate the house and remove the kids. It's giving us headaches. This is the 2nd range.


  • 2 years ago

    Brian Schoedel ... plastic-burning odor may be packing material not removed?

  • 2 years ago

    Nope. There's not much packing material in there and we've had service tech out and they just shrugged their shoulders and said maybe you have buyers remorse... I said we're on our 2nd brand new range in 2 weeks and haven't even been able to use it. The smoke doesn even look like it's coming from the heating element. Still have my original range next to it in the kitchen so we can use that one till this issue is resolved. I love GE appliances and have owned them for 20+ years so this is the first time we've had major issues or problems. Trying to patient so we'll see what the 2nd technician says or if they have to replace it with another range or model. Keep you posted. I hope it doesn't cause a fire.