Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandi_w_gw

Never Say Never...

Sandi_W
17 years ago

cause if you do, you might make a liar out of yourself like I just did. ;~)

I said I would NEVER have anything with the old gold color from the 70s!

I said I would NEVER have anything with roosters!

I took my son to Walmart to buy a stuffed animal for his girlfriend this morning and saw these marked down to $11 for 4 place settings. I bought 2!

Comments (30)

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

Cock a doodle dooo!!!!!
    Those are soo nice. What a buy! Love the shape of the bowl too! Now there's a set you couldn't pass by! And from what I read all those 70's colors are back...
    What are the stripes? Looks green....

• tamgypsy
    17 years ago

sandy...what a great deal!!!!
    I like roosters and I like that gold color...which means I am glad you 'changed' your mind...lol...because I think those dishes are very 'happy' looking....:)
    The rooster on the plate looks like it'll run off the plate any minute...lol
    I think you'll enjoy them alot...:)

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kathleen & Tam, The stripes are 2 different colors of green. These dishes don't go with anything I have. NOTHING! How in the world am I going to use these in a pink, yellow and black kitchen??? Everytime I look at them I ask myself what in the world I've done at the same time I say for $22 I love them. LOL And I bought a wooden rooster at the Dollar Store in the same colors for $1.50.

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

Well, yellow and green can be springy, you will find something to use with them. And if they make you happy..good! They certainly go with Kellogs Corn Flakes, isn't there a Rooster on the box???LOL
    And now you are going to make me go take a pic of the Apple basket plates I got for 5.00 for a service for 4...And they go with NOTHING I have, but every Fall I have an Apple Luncheon, just so dh can't say I never use those dishes!!
    Remember it is the thrill of the(bargain) hunt...cock a doodle doo!

• tamgypsy
    17 years ago

well...sandi...those dishes would go perfect in my kitchen...(offwhite cupboards, green walls, light gold colored corner bench,,,and my curtains have red,green and gold stripes...LOL)...so if ya ever decide ya want someone to take them off of your hands let me know...LOL
    But all kidding aside...I am sure you'll find a way to use them...remember...Judith said the table does not have to match the whole room...I am sure you'll make it work...I wonder if our walmart has those dishes...lol
    kathleen...what do you mean ...you were not going to show us your apple basket plates????...even if it goes with NOTHING...we need to see...LOL

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kathleen, You've been holding out on us! We want to see your apple basket dinnerware! Please?

And your comment about Corn Flakes was totally uncalled for! I guess now I've got to go buy Corn Flakes so I can sit the box on the table and pretend we're going to eat them just so the rooster will show! LOL

Tam, I hope your Walmart has them if you really want them. They really are worth $11 for 4 place settings. Our Walmart also had the bowls for sale individually for $1 each.

Do ya'll remember the blog that Luvs told us about several weeks back? The lady had done a tablesetting with dishes about the same color and sunflowers. I really like it and was thinking about using my Rooster dinnerware in the fall with sunflowers and my wooden rooster. And of course, some new....

http://perennialpassion.blogspot.com/search/label/Tablescapes

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

They really look like fun.

• marylmi
    17 years ago

Sandi, those are really cute!! I was in Big Lots today and I'm not into roosters either but noticed a really good looking rooster (no, not human!lol), it was metal, maybe a doorstop type. They must be popular, it seems I have been seeing more of them in the stores. Your dishes will look great with the sunflowers.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Sandi, those are so cute--and your dishes DO NOT have to match your room decor--Judith said so! LOL They are bright and happy colors and cute design. And yes, roosters are very popular. We sold allot of rooster items in the little antiques and collectibles store, and I often see them in other stores too. One customer told me she had over 150 rooster items in her kitchen! Just enjoy them and have fun. Can't wait to see them on your table along with the Kellogg's cereal box! LOL

• judithva
    17 years ago

Sandi, love the dishes, I like rooster/chicken stuff myself. Don't worry about them matching your "room", just enjoy how they "feel" to you! They would look great set up outside for a picnic or BBQ too!

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is my tablesetting for tonight, but it's not finished. There's only 1 placemat on the table as I was trying to decide if I should use the placemats. I'm also going with a much plainer glass and haven't added the stainless flatware yet. And I haven't received the rooster charms for the napkin rings (which were also a gift) yet.

I couldn't find a charger I liked with the rooster dishes that was in my budget and the gold and green stiped dinner plate that came with the roosters is huge so I bought the red rim dinner plate and am using the original dinner plate as a charger. There's not quite as much difference in size as I would like so I'm still looking for a little smaller dinner plate in the rusty red.

The tablecloth is from Jaybird and I just love it. She sent more pretty rooster fabrics in table runners, etc, but I haven't had time to play with all of it yet. Thank you again Jaybird. I love it all.

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

It looks great! Very festive, I think you should do the chicken dance while you serve dinner,,,chicken of course!!
    You really put together a lovely table setting.
    And you know the ladies want to see all you other goodies...but make them wait till Monday when we post the weeks buys...something to look fwd to!

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, I just realized another thing I didn't remember to put on the table...a Kellogg's Cornflakes box! I will buy one as soon as I go to the grocery! LOL And thank you Kathleen.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Sandi, it looks like you are having fun! Yahoo! ;o) Love your napkins with your new beaded napkin rings, and they are both perfect with your new tablecloth. Your dishes look really pretty and cheerful. Enjoy your "chicken" dinner. Luvs

• tamgypsy
    17 years ago

sandi...I love your table...I really like those colors...and I think everything looks beautiful together...the flowers are great and I like the napkins as well...that is the color theme I visualize for my tuscan table maybe with a few 'splatters' of green...I saved this picture in my inspiration folder...very nice..:)

• hi2all
    17 years ago

Sandi, your table looks terrific. I love how you used the flowers and little roosters for an arrangement. Everything looks like it was made just for this setting. That is a good idea to use the large plates as chargers. I did that with some I had, too. Your DH is going to wonder what is going on, with such nice table settings every evening!

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Luvs, Thank you. I never cook on Friday nights and today I decided to surprise DH and cooked. He surprised me by bringing home hamburgers from a joint in an adjoining town so we didn't even eat the boiled shrimp dinner. We'll have it tomorrow. LOL

Tam, And thank you mam. I can't believe I have a pic in someone's inspiration folder. Wow, I've impressed me! LOL I think the splatters of green will look good on your tuscan table. And by the way, do you know anyone with the last name of Berg or Steed living near you. I have a friend that moved here from near Buffalo and that's her family's names. My flight instuctor was from Buffalo also and moved back, but for the life of me I can't remember his last name.

Hi2all, Thank you. DH finally figured out tonight what the deal is with the nice tablesetings...LOL I had to go back to OTP because they overcharged me last night and DH decided to go with me to keep me "in check" LOL Boy did I rack up ;~)

Look at the new flatware DH bought me tonight:

• yachter123
    17 years ago

Sandi, are you saying this setting was just for tonite for you & DH? Are you doing a different one each nite? Wow, if that's what I'm understanding, then you are SUPER-WOMAN!

I'm trying to just pull together an Easter table & here you are doing fancy ones every nite for DH!!! I love it all, the centerpiece with the flowers, candle holders & roosters, the dishes & wow, that new flatware really makes it all POP! DH must be getting into the tablescapes too if he bought you the new flatware!!

My DH surprised me last nite, he came home from work with something behind his back, told me to close my eyes & he had these two darling bunnies that some co-workers wife had made & was selling, they are made out of dish towels & wash clothes, tied up with silk ribbon, no sewing, he bought me two of them, said they are for my vignettes in the kitchen! LOL, isn't that something???

• Purplemoon
    17 years ago

Sandi, I LOVE LOVE LOVE your table setting. Everything!
    And cool about your DH and Yachter's getting into it too.
    Lucky ladies!

I am so wanting to set a table and see how I do, since never in my life have I done such a thing. Shocking huh?
    And even tho I expect my DH and Dad to not care one way or another, and expect 4-footed trouble from the curious cat crew, I STILL want to do it. Maybe I'll just set table to take pix for you guys, and play with this stuff all by myself if it makes me happy.

Karen

• yachter123
    17 years ago

Here is the dishtowel bunny my DH bought me at work. I don't know why everything looks so yellow in my pictures, will have my son take a look at my camera, I've tried adjusting the color in the pics once I upload them, but then everything in the pic looks green!!

Anyway, here it is, color not perfect!!!
    {{gwi:1416096}}

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yachter, My original plan was to set a special tablesetting once a week, but this week I did it 3 times and since Sunday will be our anniversary I'm doing it one more time. But after this I'll only do it about once a week, especially during the spring and summer when I want to be outside. And no, DH isn't into my tablesettings, his birthday is coming up and he wants a tablesaw. LOL Your dishcloth bunny is so cute. And isn't your DH a real sweetheat for bringing them home to you! I would love to make some of those, but I can't tell from the pic how it's made. Can you tell from looking at it how it's made?

Karen, If setting a pretty table makes you happy then go for it. I believe you said you don't usually use your dining room so you could play in there with no one to shove stuff out of the way to read the newspaper. ;~) Now, the kitties may still give you some trouble!

• yachter123
    17 years ago

Sandi, even once a week, you are amazing!!! I am lucky I can get a meal on every nite!!! Most nites it's carry out or go out!!!

I'm really not into cooking anymore after all these years, it's not high on my list of things that excite me! LOL

I'll look at the bunny closer tomorrow & see if I can describe how I think it is put together. There is no sewing it's all done with the ribbons. Maybe I can get a side view for you too, but it's after 3 a.m. here & I think I need to get to bed!!! Yikes!

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yachter, I'm not into cooking either, but I do love setting a pretty table and I have to feed DH. I don't cook on Fridays and surprised him tonight by cooking. But he surprised me and brought home hamburgers. I told him to take the lettuce and tomato off his hamburger and put it in the salad bowl, put the bread on the small plate and the meat on the dinner plate. Of course, THAT didn't happen. My dinner went into the fridge for tomorrow.

And thanks for checking your bunny for me. It is just so cute.

• hi2all
    17 years ago

Wow, Sandi and Yachter, you need to start giving lessons! Somehow you have managed to get your DHs into buying you stuff for your house.

Sandi, love your new flatware. The table is so pretty. Don't you just love it when things turn out so good.

Yachter, that is such a cute little bunny. The yellow ribbon goes perfectly with your display.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Sandi, the yellow flatware goes great with your rooster dishes. Such a nice contrast against the placemats too.

Where did you find your little roosters? I know you had said you were looking for some.

Yachter, that was so sweet of your DH to bring you home the bunny towels. When DH and I went on a cruise, everyday there would be a new towel critter waiting when we got back to the room. I got so much fun out of it--and left bigger tips for the cabin boy too! I bought a book they had in the gift shop, but I've only made a couple of the easiest ones.

Luvs

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Luvs, I found the little rooster charm bracelets on ebay. They just came in today and I took a pic if anyone wants to see them. They are a little smaller and brighter than I wanted, but I think they will work. The little towel critters on your cruise sounds so cute. And I love the one yachter's DH bought her. I really have to learn how to do them.

• marylmi
    17 years ago

'WoW' sandi, your table looks great! The colors all go together so nicely. I love everything!

• judithva
    17 years ago

Sandi, you did fantastic, that could go into a magazine. Wonderful job!!!

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Sandi, seems i've been missing a lot! Your rooster table setting should be in a magazine! Seems DH has 'the eye' too~utinsels couldn't be more pefect. I love the rich colors, and don't think you've gone too over the top with the roosters, although I *could* see one as a centerpiece. ;o)

patty_cakes

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mary, Judith and Patty, Thank you for the nice words. I enjoy doing it. And Patty, there are 5 small roosters in the centerpiece. If I used a big one I'd have to remove the candles and big holder.

Sponsored
More Discussions