Software
Houzz Logo Print
atichnell

New Door is smaller than the old one....

13 years ago
So we recently replaced the front entry door for our house. We couldn't get the same sized door, it was just an inch or so shorter. My husband and father-in-law replaced the door and put up new trim, but my husband didn't account for the difference in height of the door, so the new trim does not cover what the old trim did, which leaves me with the picture I've attached. Changing the trim is not an option. My husband made that very clear. LOL

My FIL suggested and cut a board to cover it, but it's big (it's about the size of 3 of those top trim pieces laid next to each other) and I can't figure out anyway to make it look like it fits. I had thought of cutting the board so it's just big enough to cover the damaged wall area, but again, I cannot think of how to make it look right.

I was debating about just trying to spackle to fix the cracks and such and then sand the layers upon layers of paint to try to make it look better and then repaint over it, but I'm wondering if it will be obvious that's what I did. It would be hard to repair it, since the walls are plaster. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do? Or do one of my ideas sound decent?

Comments (5)