Software
Houzz Logo Print
redwoodgirl

Cooktop help! Please! Blue star, viking, wolf, ahhhhh!

16 years ago

Hi!

My husband and are currently shopping for a 36" slide-in cooktop with grill. Both of us LOVE to cook and think of ourselves as foodies, although neither of us have any professional experience. That being said, we want a cooktop that will give us the performance of a pro range along with ease of care and clean up. We live in a rural area, so service is an issue here, which is why we have three choices: viking, blue star, and wolf. Also, the local salesman proceeded to tell me that Blue star has sealed burners. Is this true? I thought they didn't. I looked on their website and they looked open to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated as we are in a huge rush to order.

Thanks!

Comments (17)

  • 16 years ago

    Gas Cooktop/Rangetop: Bluestar
    Gas Oven : Wolf
    Electric Oven : Gaggenau

    You want gas oven for roasting broiling and electric for baking.

    And Yes Bluestar has open burners.

  • 16 years ago

    Thank you!
    I realize that I may be using the wrong terminology. I am referring to a range top, not a drop in cook top. I think everybody was able to infer that.

    Anyways, I can't help but be attracted to the craftsmanship of the Wolf and the option of sealed burners when comparing the two. I also like the idea of the infrared grill as we live in a very cool climate but love to BBQ. But, I recognize that the Blue Star's burners have a far higher BTU max than Wolf, and the star design is supposed to have more even heating. How is the simmer on BS? Does it click on and off or maintain constant temp? Can you tell me why having 22,000 is important or in what application would it beat out a 15,000 BTU burner? Or would 15,000 BTU's be enough for the average cooking savvy family of 5? Are open burners worth the pain of cleaning when you are making meals around the clock? I am soooo torn!

  • 16 years ago

    Anyways, I can't help but be attracted to the craftsmanship of the Wolf and the option of sealed burners when comparing the two.

    There is no doubt that Wolf has a higher level of fit and finish. There is even less doubt that a Wolf oven door is suprior to that of BS.

    Sealed Burners. Cleaning is subjective I guess. I would rather pull out the drip tray and throw away the foil I have placed on top than trying to clean the crevice between the burner on the SS top panel.

    As far cooking goes open burners are far superior because they get more oxygen to the flame and do so more directly.


    I also like the idea of the infrared grill as we live in a very cool climate but love to BBQ.

    Infrared grilling is closer to broiling than real grilling.

    But, I recognize that the Blue Star's burners have a far higher BTU max than Wolf, and the star design is supposed to have more even heating.

    There is no "supposed to" it is a fact. Even heat is superior for cooking.

    How is the simmer on BS? Does it click on and off or maintain constant temp?

    The simmer burner does not come on and off and maintains a constant flame.

    Can you tell me why having 22,000 is important or in what application would it beat out a 15,000 BTU burner?

    Anytime you want to sear. A ribeye steak to stir-fry to grilling chicken breast to searing ahi tuna.

    At 22k you will get superior carmelizaton of meat and achieve a "restuarant" taste as opposed to the 15k "home cooked" taste. Obviously you can put the 22k on medium to get the home cooked style.

    Or would 15,000 BTU's be enough for the average cooking savvy family of 5?

    A 30" Kenmore/Frigidaire cooktop is enough for the average cooking savvy family of five.

    Are open burners worth the pain of cleaning when you are making meals around the clock?

    The only time open burners are a PITA to clean vis-a-vis sealed buneres is if you spill a lot of heavy sauce directly on the burner.

    I guess there are more accident prone people than me but I have done that exactly once in 20 years of cooking. Around the stove top and counter tops plenty but directly under the pot is kinda hard to do.

  • 16 years ago

    Are open burners worth the pain of cleaning when you are making meals around the clock?

    People who have actually used both sealed and open burners usually prefer open burners as easier to clean. The problem with sealed burners is burn-on. With sealed burners, when you have a boil-over, or even just splattering, you will likely not be able to wipe things up until after you are done cooking (hard to wipe things up when the burner flame is going). In the meantime, your splatters are burning into the cooking surface, and will either stain permanently, or dull the surface, or get scratches as you try to get the burned-on stains out. Versus Bluestar's open burners, where everything falls through the openings, and as Deeageaux pointed out, people just line the drip tray with foil and toss out the foil as it becomes stained.

    I agree that Wolf's fit and finish is superior to Bluestar's. So is Wolf's customer service. I think though that the Bluestar rangetops (they call them cooktops) do not have the problems that the ranges have had. In any case, even the most enthusiastic Wolf fan will agree that the Wolf rangetop's stainless steel finish becomes dull and scratched after a time. The Bluestar's cast iron finish does not.

    I think it would be helpful for you to watch a video on the Eurostoves website which compares open and sealed burners. On the link below, go to the 4th video, and click on the one entitled "Open Burner Vs Sealed Burner (2)".

    Here is a link that might be useful: Eurostoves Videos-Click on 4th Vid Called Open Burner vs. Sealed Burner (2)

  • 16 years ago

    I'll link another video that may be helpful. It is a direct comparison between Wolf and Bluestar burners.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Youtube Video Comparing Wolf and Bluestar Burners

  • 16 years ago

    Open vs. sealed burners with regard to cleaning is a matter of opinion. I have a DCS range with sealed burners and love how easy the cooktop is to clean. It may be the particular stainless that they use, but I've never had a problem with stuff burning on that didn't come off easily without scratching the cooktop. I actually keep this range clean without much trouble and I hate cleaning.

    As far as even heating goes, Bluestar probably does have the best burners but not all sealed burners are created equal - there are different designs that allow for better oxygen flow. So it is not okay to generalize that all open burners are better than all sealed burners.

  • 16 years ago

    >>Infrared grilling is closer to broiling than real grilling.

    That part I do not understand. Broiling is heat from above, grilling is heat from below.

    When grilling with charcoal you are using infrared heat.

    In any event, The Wolf grill is fatastic.

  • 16 years ago

    "If you are looking for performance the Bluestar will out cook Wolf and Viking with ease, i say this based on the facts."
    -trevorlawson
    Where are the facts? How does one define "outcook"?

    Anyways, I would look past the BTUs and the crazy shaped burners. How about looking at all aspects of the appliance. Craftsmanship, quality, appearance, company reputation, ease of use, durability, etc.

    If you want the best, the choice is easy: Wolf. They are the best in the business, no doubt about it. Check 'em out for yourself. If you look into Wolf/Bluestar/Viking, ask about the warranty and please report back to the blog. I'm curious to what company stands by their product the most. Thanks!

  • PRO
    16 years ago

    appliances 3264

    The facts come from using both units to this day in our cooking school, not many people have actually USED both units as I have. the facts are.

    Power. Blustar
    Simmer.Bluestar
    Oven Capacity / Size.Bluestar
    Heat Distribution.Bluestar
    Broiler power. Bluestar
    Oven Temp control. Bluestar.

    All off the above are better than Wolf. in my humble opinion this makes for a better cooking machine that will outcook a Wolf.

    Other points raised

    Craftsmanship. Wolf
    Appearance. wolf
    Ease of use 50/50,
    Durability 60/40 wolf,
    Reputation. after a recall of thousands of units by wolf for exploding ovens, my vote here goes to Bluestar.

    Crazy shaped burners make a huge difference when it comes to delivering the heat to the base of a pan.

    Btu's make a big difference when it comes to certain styles of cooking, wok, searing simmering, boiling.

    The OP asked for "Performance of a pro range" Wolf does not perform like a pro range.

    just my opinion.......

  • 16 years ago

    We recently added a Wolf rangetop, double ovens, and warming drawer to our kitchen and I couldn't be happier. All have exceeded my expectations (and they were high!) and besides cooking like a dream, they all look amazing in our new house. My Wolf rangetop has sealed burners and I have had no problem with cleaning up after cooking. If something spills, I move the pan to a different burner (I have six) and clean up when the burner cools down. I am thrilled with the choices that I made. I love to cook and these appliances meet all of my needs.

  • 16 years ago

    Well, thank you everybody for your generous input. After mulling over the two over and OVER again we went with the Blue Star. We definitely decided that we wanted the performance of the 22,000 BTU burners. Also, thank you for the link to those very informative videos on care of the top. We DO like the idea of a all cast iron top. A little part of me though does morn the loss of the look of the Wolf and the fabulous grill! But, I'm sure that will be over with when I receive my BS! Thank you all!

  • 14 years ago

    So, a year later, how do you like your Bluestar? Can you comment on the concerns you had about cleaning and simmering?

  • 11 years ago

    Oh boy! Call for comment - 4 years later and no response! Because concerns were justified and choice was not the best - or because choice was the best and too busy "chefing" to respond? For me, the separation of cooktop and oven works out for the best kitchen operation. The Viking cooktop, with the "sliding" grates work the best if you do not have a pot filler over the cooktop. The ovens with dual standard vs convection options give the choices you really can use. And the $$ savings can't be overlooked. The only negative I have found is the "screen printing" around the cooktop dials indicating the various options, i.e.: simmer, medium, low, etc. These will eventually wipe off with cleaning. But, for me, the positives far out weigh the negatives and I would opt for the Viking every time. (Not looking to impress anyone with brand names...no Sub-Zero refridge/freezer either!).

  • 11 years ago

    My guess is the owner is very happy. Unless there are serious defects of any kind, I'm sure anyone attaining any of these range tops would be very happy. Though I'd love to hear what they really love about it.

    All of these seem good, and there are pros and cons to each. Some of the pros may not be as important to some as others. I have decided on the Wolf 48" with grill and griddle. I really want an indoor grill in my northern climate. I'm a little concerned that the BTU will only give me that home cook sear. But I'm sure it will be better than my current 30" GE profile. I do love to roast, but I'm going with the electric convection oven. I'm wondering if I shouldn't be considering a full Wolf gas range instead. But from what I've heard, the benefit to gas is it is a bit moister heat, and we are considering the steam oven, which may solve that problem.

  • 11 years ago

    JK, You can sear on wolf with no problem. Use a cast iron skillet which will hold a lot of heat. You can get it hot enough to vaporize fat. It will just take a little longer to preheat.

    As far as the oven, gas does produce moisture as a byproduct of combustion but has more ventilation than an electric oven so the moisture is ventilated out. Electric ovens hold on to moisture more from the food you are cooking so provides a more moist environment. And yes this is different from what many people think or read in marketing literature. If you read the baking forums you will see that it is much more difficult to keep gas ovens humid and bread bakers will use cloches to keep moisture around bread at the beginning of baking.

    As far as roasting, it is the dryness of a gas oven that removes superficial moisture from meat and allows it to brown. An electric oven with a convection roast uses the convection fan at high speed, for drying and more heat from the top elements so that your roast will brown. Contrary to marketing, moisture in an oven has nothing to do with the internal moisture of meat. It is the final internal temperature that will determine that. You can boil a piece of meat dry.

  • 11 years ago
    Wekick, you are always so helpful. You have helped me so much through my decisions with your comments on many threads. I'm glad to hear the Wolf will be plenty hot. I can't wait for it either. I seared skirt steak last week with my cast iron griddle using my current 15 year of Profile. My microwave recirculating fan was utterly ineffective, but the seat on the meat and the taste made it worthwhile. So much grease went airborne one can skate on my kitchen floor and my house still smells like Benihana!

    I seriously considered the 32" freezer and fridge and double ovens by Electrolux. But my daughter is sold on the steam oven with single convection. I'm not much of a baker....I don't bake because we don't need to eat the goods! Do you have any opinions on steam ovens?

    I'm almost considering Miele because their oven has a rotisserie and the steam oven also had a broiler and can be plumbed. But they won't look as nice next to the SZ stainless fridges with the square handles. And I'm out of space on that wall so I can't panel the fridges unless I went with a 24" single oven too. Sigh!