Software
Houzz Logo Print
collage5

Guest bathroom toilet recommendation

15 years ago

We currently have a duravit in our guest bath and it's been a problem from day one. You have to hold the flusher in for several seconds to get it to flush fully and, even then, it clogs periodically. My mother is getting up in years and finds it hard to push the knob in and hold it down. If it were in our master bath, I'd be much more open to keeping it but, really, a guest should not have to worry about making certain everything goes down!

Our other two bathrooms have totos and we couldn't be more satisfied so I'm inclined to go with another Toto. Was thinking dual flush (Aquia II) but have just spent a couple hours reading the forum and am now concerned with the low water spot and well, skid marks. After all, this is a guest bath and I really don't want our guests to feel uncomfortable.

So, with water consumption not off the priority list, it is pushed down...I'm now thinking about the Vespin II but does anyone have a toilet they're happy with that has:

1) reasonable water spot

2) flushes fully without leaving traces, etc.

3) not crazy (potentially embarssingly) loud flush

We like clean lines and prefer skirted. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Comments (13)

  • 15 years ago

    We have 3 Toto Soiree's--1.6 gal (1 was installed a few years ago, the other 2, last year). We are very happy with them.

  • 15 years ago

    collage asks: "I'm now thinking about the Vespin II but does anyone have a toilet they're happy with that has:
    1) reasonable water spot
    2) flushes fully without leaving traces, etc.
    3) not crazy (potentially embarssingly) loud flush."

    In specific answer to your question: YES (or yes, yes, and yes).

    Not surprisingly, I guess, the toilet that we are happy with is a Vespin II.

  • 15 years ago

    I bought 5 of the Vespin II (whole home reno) and just had 2 of them installed a few days ago. My initial impressions:

    - quieter flush and much faster refill than our old American Standard cadet. The AS would clog on the odd occasion. Can't compare the Toto as yet on that front, but I do expect better results.
    - I like the comfort height.
    - The seat (I think we got the 204) is still under review. It moves side-to-side a bit more than I expected and feels very light/plastic (which, of course, it is!).

    Overall, can't complain. Haven't had a need to clean them yet, but with the skirted design it certainly seems more straight-forward than our old AS, which was a bugger to clean in the rear/side where the bolts were. Hopefully the sanagloss lives up to the marketing hype.

    I don't think you can go wrong with this model. Good luck!

  • 15 years ago

    I have the Drake in my MB - Love it...The Kohler Cimmeron in 2nd bath - Love it and in my powder room, I went with the Kohler Devonshire (becoz, I liked how it looked). The Devonshire is the worst in flushing. It doesn't have near the power of the other two toilets. I wanted a good flush for the powder room that would be used by guests and I certainly didn't get it.. I would put a Toto or the Cimmeron instead

  • 15 years ago

    I have a 3 year old Toto Drake in our Master BR. It meets your specs by flushing cleanly and having enough water, but compared to our 20plus year old Kohler that it replaced it is quite loud.
    Because of the flushing noise, I'm thinking of not using the Drake in our half bath new build (near the den).
    If anyone can compare the noise of a Drake with a Vespin, I'd be appreciative!

  • 15 years ago

    I thought the Vespin was just a Drake in drag (i.e. skirted side)?

  • 15 years ago

    i really like the toto nexus that we have in our mbr...

  • 15 years ago

    bishop8 writes: "I thought the Vespin was just a Drake in drag (i.e. skirted side)?"

    Correct, but gbsim was referring to a three year old Drake, which has many more differences from the current model Vespin II than the current Vespin II does from the current model Drake II.

  • 15 years ago

    Thanks for all the responses. Went to a show room today and I don't love the shape of the Vespin. I'd only seen it online before so I'm either back to the drawing board or will compromise. Looking for very contemporary with straight lines like our current duravit (I think it's a stark). The guy at the shop is pushing an Icera; there are a couple different models that are aesthetically pleasing, the Muse being one of them BUT I can't find any reviews. Did a search on google and also on this forum with zero hits. Really don't want to go with something that I can't read about in terms of performance.

    Someone suggested the Toto Nexus -- we have this in our master and it's great and, if one can say this about a toilet, really attractive. Only thing is it's curved and straight lines make much more sense for the guest bath.

    So, wanting to stay in the $500ish or less range, can anyone recommend a well performing toilet that's very contemporary with straight lines? The Nexus with a rectangular shape rather than oval would be perfect.

  • 15 years ago

    I think either the Carlyle II or the Aimes are great choices. They are both one piece, skirted, ADA Height, 1.28 gallons, and have their new Dual Cyclone flushing. I prefer the looks of the Aimes but the Carlyle is more affordable.

    Here is a link that might be useful: TOTO Toilets

  • 15 years ago

    I have a relatively new (1.5 year old) elongated 10" rough in Eco Drake (with modified flapper) and a newer (.5 year old) elongated 10" rough in Drake. Both toilets flush very well, but I have encountered a few issues. Both toilets do not always achieve a clean bowl, enough so that even multiple flushes sometimes won't do the trick. The low water spots mean that men urinating in the toilet seem to cause more splattering than we've had with previous toilets. I am mostly pleased with the toilets, and the bowl cleanliness problem certainly does not happen all of the time, but it does happen from time to time.

  • 15 years ago

    That's interesting prickly, because I was just commenting to my wife how impressed I was with our Vespins (1.28Gal). The 'whole' flush seems/sounds kind of like the last 1/3 flush of our old 3.6Gal American Standards (if that makes any sense). The refill is also quick, and I marvelled at how so little water moved material -- more so the 'loose fill' kind (which usually never flushes clean) than the solid dense pieces. Rarely any remaining particulates that required a second flush, which was never the case with our old AS'.

  • 15 years ago

    I wish I knew how to prevent the bowl cleanliness problem. It certainly does not happen every time solids are deposited, but it does happen on occasion. I do not believe my Toto toilets had the sanagloss label, so perhaps that might be the difference.