Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buddhahead

Recall on Wolf Gas Range

buddhahead
15 years ago

If you have a 48" Wolf gas range, you may want to check this out:

Here is a link that might be useful: Wolf Appliance Recalls Gas Ranges Due to Burn Hazard

Comments (18)

• johnnytugs1
    15 years ago

boy, i'm glad i have my american range!

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

sure, until american range has a recall. The voluntary recall, extensive detailed information regarding the issue and how to get it remedied is already posted on Wolf's website. That is pretty responsible action in my mind. No manufacturer is without problem. You can only hope the one you pick has the reputation and service that Wolf maintains in the event of a problem.

Take it from someone who has first hand experience with manufacturers running for the hills in the face of problems, SZ/Wolf always stands behind their products no questions asked from my experience.

• johnnytugs1
    15 years ago

i guess thats fine, and i hope it continues, BUT so far my AR hasn't had a recall and i'm happy about that. yupp after 97 reports and 15 injuries before the voluntary recall is that responsible? my interpretation of responsible is when my AR had a faulty igniter on the burner and wasn't fixed by conventional methods they took the range back to find out why that was happening and replaced it with a new one.
    no i don't know what they would do if 24,000 units were effected but it's my guess & hope that they would have caught it way before 97 units popped in customers kitchens. just imagine if it was the 30" oven that was effected i'm sure the severity of the incidents would have been greater.
    just my 2 cents from my experience.
    john

• paddy_99
    15 years ago

The best thing about Wolf ranges is they have red knobs.

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

paddy, granted that, for those who like the color red, the Wolf range knobs are quite atractive. Out of curiosity, why do you say that the best thing about the Wolf range is its red knobs?

• black327
    15 years ago

Buddha,
    Thanks for the post on the recall. I have one of the affected ranges and I wouldn't have known about this if you hadn't posted. Apparently I didn't fill out my registration card so they couldn't contact me.
    My smaller oven never gave me a problem, thank goodness, but they are going to come out and put the new part on this week.
    You may have averted a real problem,thanks so much!

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

black327's post is what it's all about. I love when I see posts like buddhahead's and black's online -- people's homes and lives may have been saved, when other methods, e.g. warranty cards, obviously failed.

(johnny, I too am [looking forward to being] very happy with the American, but don't believe in kicking folks when they're down)

• johnnytugs1
    15 years ago

Flyleft
    I don't know if you ever interacted with SZ/Wolf, I have and I don't care for the way they do business.
    I wasn't kicking anyone while they were down, I was voicing my opinion. I received that notice and logged in to post it when I saw that buddhahead had done so already. I AM glad that I chose American Range. They conduct business the way many of these manufacturers forgot. As you will soon find out AR treat's you like you actually count for something! I hope your health improves and you enjoy your range for many years to come! Our prayers are with you!
    John
    917-842-1809

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Thanks, johnny -- walked a mile at the track yesterday, so I'm hoping for a good solid speedy recovery...

• oldjgw
    15 years ago

For what it's worth I too have an American Range and mostly because of forums like this. My neighbor bought a Viking one afternoon, just like that from a magazine photo, and would have bought a Wolf if the store had one. It's the research we all do and share that really important.

• johnnytugs1
    15 years ago

Flyleft thats good news. you really need to lower the stress level. cooking soothes the mind........when you enjoy it.

oldjgw i almost bought a viking had a sweet deal 60" for like 42oo. was damaged in shipping & repaired but boy am i glad i let that one slide by. what model AR do you have? i have the 48" w/ griddle.
    john

• oldjgw
    15 years ago

We've got a 36 inch 6 burner. Also almost got the "deal of a lifetime" on a big Viking. All 4 burners, griddle and grill. Missed that bullet.

• johnnytugs1
    15 years ago

woooohooo cooking good! hope your enjoying it! try & bump this one every once in a while, keep it up front for folks that may have missed it!
    john

• plumorchard
    15 years ago

My 2 cents and I'm not trying to kick anyone. That said I will point out a difference I've noticed with Wolf and American. Short version- I had a Wolf for a short time, it had some issues, it was bought back by Wolf. I now own an American. (almost a year!)

Yes, the service that Wolf provided was excellent - after all they did buy back the defective range. (Not just mine, there are others on this site that had the same issue) The thing that was most frustrating was that no one seemed to care why it was defective. Not that I wanted to be a lab test but hopefully, with this recall they can figure out what is wrong with the product. (I'm not saying the two cases are related, just glad they took things seriously!)

Again, we were more than pleased with the end result of dealing with Wolf.

However, the thing with American that impresses me is the follow up service and the fact that they want to know WHY things happen when they do. Like in Johnny's case above. If a company figures out why, then they can fix it for future owners. I have found the American experience a much more pleasant one & I feel much more confident about the product for that and many reasons.

I hope Wolf gets this issue resolved for their customers.

• johnnytugs1
    15 years ago

bump

• katmandu_2008
    15 years ago

ok Johnnytugs, I have wondered this for a while, do you work for AR? ; )

• User
    15 years ago

I was around when Johnytugs was looking for a range and I recommended American to him (based on seeing them with a friend at a showroom). Johnny even had some problem at first, so although it seems like he might be a salesperson, he's just a enthusiastic and happy owner. Same with plumorchard.

• johnnytugs1
    15 years ago

hi katmandu_2008, as alexr said, I'm just a happy AR owner,lol I run a tugboat up and down the east coast. I believe in this company due to the experiences i have had as well as other owners experiences. I have had a few bad experiences also with other companies.I just like to share my enthusiasm with other people so they don't have to go thru the anguish that I did and this is the reason I put my number at the bottom of most of my posts. I have nothing to hide! : )
    john
    917-842-1809