Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nerdyshopper

Bad Ratings For Maytag Dishwashers

nerdyshopper
9 years ago

I have been thinking that I would get a Maytag dishwasher based on reviews at sale sites. Sounded bullet proof. Then I stumbled onto a site called "consumeraffairs.com" where they have very large numbers of consumer complaints (410 for the Maytag). I only read down about a dozen but every one gave it 1 or 2 stars because the electronic control panel failed. High priced replacements also failed. Now I have to start over. Otherwise they have just the features I was looking for to replace my old Maytag. I wonder if one of those surge protectors would help? I bet the problem is probably moisture penetration and the protector would not help.

Comments (13)

• nerdyshopper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK so no one has responded to my post. How about this? I went back to comsumeraffairs.com and every single dishwasher reviewed had similar complaints. Smells, poor cleaning, circuit boards, etc. In all cases the complaint was poor warrantee service. Long delays refusal to replace new dishwashers that required multiple service calls. I am now in shock. I don't think they can make a strong, well cleaning and thoroughly rinsing dishwasher and meet government regulations. The only answer is to have the old one repaired as often as it takes and stick with that design.

• Cadyren
    9 years ago

Like you I had a Maytag previously & wanted nothing else 2 years ago when I replaced it in a mini kitchen redo. My new Maytag cleans even better than my first & I love it. I read recently about the circuit board problems on my model when I was researching DWs for my son's house. I suppose I can expect a problem in the future, but I have read sites that explain how & where the circuit board goes bad & how to replace it yourself, so I am prepared. My son's new Maytag has more actual buttons & less touch controls than mine, so maybe that was their fix, I don't know. Seems like less to go wrong & his model is probably a grade above mine, but not their best.

I would be surprised if the service problems are not about where they were purchased from. We have purchased from a local appliance store for 30 years & never had a problem with service. They would probably be one of the ones to come out as a certified Maytag service person if you bought it from Lowes also, so maybe service is slower if you didn't purchase them there, but I don't know.

I still love Maytag for their food chopper & will continue to buy them until I have a reason not to. My previous was still working at 17 years when we took it out with no repairs. I don't expect this one to last that long, but who knows? I am sure the above mentioned Mieles are wonderful, but I don't think they are any where near the price point. JMHO. Good luck.

• sparky823
    9 years ago

I was reading on another site where a guy bought a new Maytag DW recently and loves it. Said they get great results, nothing has needed rewashed and they do not pre rinse. Also made note of how hot this DW gets. He is really liking his. From what I have read, you have to select Hi Temp or Sanitize to get higher wash/rinse temps now because the automatic temp is not nearly as hot as they used to be(energy star-Normal wash). If I needed a new one, I would buy Maytag for sure.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I think the Maytag DW's are the best in their price range. Definitely better than Whirlpool. As for ConsumerAffairs.com, give me a break. You can find bad reviews of anything there. That is the whole point of the site! Check out my link. You see another brand on that list you want more?

Here is a link that might be useful: ConsumerAffairs Dishwashers

• andrelaplume2
    9 years ago

Call me crazy but I thought Maytag, Kenmore and Whirlpool were all made by the same manufacturer. In fact many units look similar. Plus I thought I heard that conglomerate is looking to but GE!

• nerdyshopper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They may all be made by one manufacturer but they are not made the same. Pumps differ on the Maytag. I don't know if they all share the control board problems found on Maytag, but I don't think so. I use a surge protector on my front loader to protect the electronics. Wonder if it would work for the dishwashers. Probably not if moisture is the problem.

• dadoes
    9 years ago

Electrolux has settled a deal for GE last I heard.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>Call me crazy but I thought Maytag, Kenmore and Whirlpool were all made by the same manufacturer. In fact many units look similar. Plus I thought I heard that conglomerate is looking to but GE!

Yes as said above Electrolux is buying GE, not Whirlpool. Maytag, Kenmore, Whirlpool, are indeed made in the same building but come off different lines and have different mechanical designs.

• dan gillespie
    3 years ago

Paid a premium price to get a good dishwasher once and for all so I bought a Maytag based on the years of advertising how superior they were (Maytag repair man sleeping because he has no work etc...) What a mistakke! Piece of garbage that didn't last 2 years. 10 year warrenty they said but when it came time read the small print. It only covers a couyple of cheap plastic items that I can just buy myself. No coverage for the crap electronic parts they put in those things. My last disshwasher lasted 20 years. Never again MAYTAG!!!!

• HU-446197128
    2 years ago

We bought a maytag dishwasher from Home Deport. They sent somebody to set it up for us. We waited for the installers to come but they were late.So my husband and I let for our appt. My son was home.The installer set up the dishwasher just contected the 22 yrs old hoses to the new dishwasher. Now we had problem with water not draining.The service man came and first thing he said 2 months old dishwasher and why over 20 yrs old hose.That means the people maytag sends are reaping the customers. Homedeport says its not their problem Maytags.So Maytag please fix our problem.

• Rita
    last year

Kitchen FIRE

We have a Maytag Dishwasher: Model MDB7759SAS4, serial F41306161, purchased from Camden Appliance Niles, MI on 12/30/16 but put in service 11/14/17 due to a delay in whole-house restoration.

On 7/7/2022 at 8:30 pm after starting the dishwasher about 20 minutes earlier, we heard what sounded like fireworks going off in our kitchen. Dark gray/black smoke was rolling out of the dishwasher. Even after throwing the breaker, the crackling continued. My husband and I quickly unscrewed the front of the dishwasher door and cut the wires with scissors. We pulled the controls and foam out and took that out of the house. At that point, our entire house stunk of burnt electronics.

I called Maytag customer service at 800-544-5513 only to be directed to call back in the morning. My husband called back and was told by the CSR (Janice?) that she would send a safety team to our home and that Maytag “will definitely do something for you”.

Adam from Diamond Appliance showed up at 3:45 pm on 7/12/22, knew exactly where the fire started, indicating that he had seen this many times before, took pictures and called Maytag customer service back. At that point Maytag said they would do NOTHING for us. No explanation, NOTHING.

My husband took the burnt controls and door foam to Camden’s to see if they would do anything. Nope, they have scaled back their selling of Maytag products due to ongoing quality problems.

If we had not been home, awake and quick thinking, we would have have hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage to our extensive fine art collection, which is irreplaceable.

So now we have a burnt shell of a dishwasher in our beautiful home. The dishwasher has been used gently (two people, run twice per week). Previous house had two dishwashers in 30 years, only replaced first one because it was loud.

In response to your attitude regarding our problem, rest assured that we will let everyone know, in person and online, the quality and SAFETY concerns with Maytag appliances. My husband is a internationally acclaimed social media expert.

• Langdon Wanza
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

Imagine you design dishwashers for a living. What's the first thing on your list? Maybe make the thing waterproof? Not for Maytag!

This dishwasher leaks like a sieve. Well maybe not a sieve, but like a piss-poor dishwasher. The dishwasher itself is not waterproof, something in the design of the gaskets make the door leak (a lot) every now and then for a few uses, which mysteriously then clears up for a while. Replacing the door seal has not helped.

Plus the many previous mentions of the control panel, ALSO NOT WATERPROOF. It was a mistake buying this brand.

Also, the wheels on the lower dishrack are flimsy and have broken and been replaced several times. They seem to last about a year.

Model: MDB8959SAS1