Software
Houzz Logo Print
mia__gw

Spring-down cushions...what is your experience?

19 years ago

Do spring-down cushions provide more stability to a cushion than the standared foam cushion surrounded by dacron fibers?

My current 2-year old standard cushions have flattened out a lot, and it's not because of my weight. Now the sofa is so uncomfortable to sit on. This is a high quality sofa, so I would never have expected that to happen. My cheap sofa I had for 10 years...those cushions never flattened out...although it was foam directly against the upholstery, that's how cheap.

So now I'm getting a new sofa with spring-down cushions, and I'm told that they will not flatten out, that the springs add stability and comfort. Is this true? I was also told that the spring-down cushions are more firm than the standard foam cushions, but I don't know if this is true. I don't know what guage the springs are, but it is a marshall coil unit in the seat cushions.

Thanks a bunch for any info.

Comments (3)

  • 19 years ago

    It has to do alot with the maker of the furniture, not all cushions are created alike. Having said that, the cushion is generally slightly softer in "ride" when there is springs inside, like a marshall coil cushion. Springs will always hold the shape of the foam better over time than foam alone, one reason is the springs are pushing the foam back to its original shape. This occurs because the foam is sandwiched around the springs.

    The seat deck below also plays a part here, on whether the cushion will last. A good spring deck ie: 8 way hand tied or drop in coil,will make the cushions last longer absorbing some of the weight of user over time.

  • 19 years ago

    shoppes1, thank you for the explanation.

    My sofa will have the 8-way hand knotted spring deck. It's a Stickley sofa. I just worry that the spring-down cushions may be too soft for me and it will contribute to my lower back pain.

    These spring-down cushions did feel more comfortable than the standard cushions in the store, though. I have the standard cushions on my sofa at home, and they have flattened out and are not comfortable to sit on, so I hate them. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the spring-down cushions will work out for me. Stickley offers an extra firm version of their standard foam cushion (no springs), but they didn't have one of those cushions to try out in the store, so I passed on that type of cushion.

  • 7 years ago

    Mia, my Sherrill sofa is 6 mos old and it gets compressed areas that do not decompress. It happens every time I lay down on it. They have switched out the cushions 3 times, but same problem occurs. $3,300. I am told the local family owned store has never seen this before. Did your problem get resolved?

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz