Software
Houzz Logo Print
dmgiblin

Should we put in a wine fridge

13 years ago
We are in the process of redoing our kitchen in our primary residence, which will be going on the market in about 18 months when we downsize. We currently have a trash compactor and we are trying to decide whether to put in a new compactor or replace that appliance with a wine refrigerator (neither of us drink wine so this is just a resale issue) Thanks for your input.

Comments (19)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Today with recycling being so big, I think the biggest bang for your buck would be a wine fridge. Buyers like that high-end appeal, even if they don't entertain.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I agree with shawnlagemann the better value will be the wine fridge.
  • 13 years ago
    Definitely put in the wine fridge. You can always use it for bottles water, sodas, etc. A trash compacter will add nothing to resale or the aesthetics of the kitchen.
  • 13 years ago
    I agree with Steve, a mixed beverage fridge. Since I don't drink a wine fridge would be of no value to me:)
  • 13 years ago
    And wine fridges can't get as cold as beverage fridges can. If your redoing your kitchen is that cabinets too because a compactor is much narrower that an under the counter beverage fridge. I'm building soon and have chosen both. Make sure your under counter fridge exhausts the heat to the front not the back and has adequate free space on the sides and back, otherwise you just burn them out in a year. A compactor and recycling bins are huge in Canada, were all very conscious on this issue.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Candace - Marvel makes a few beverage fridges that fit into a standard compactor space of 15".
  • 13 years ago
    Good to know although the capacity would be less.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would imagine ;o)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I love the mixed beverage fridge idea. I think it would appeal to a lot of groups, but especially young families looking for a new home.
  • 13 years ago
    Donna, depending on where you live, a major metro area with active recycling programs or near wine country, find out from realtors what features people are looking for in your area. Consider a wine rack versus a refrig also, as long as it is not near a heat generating appliance or in a sunny location.

    Since we have excellent recycling programs in Oregon, we don't need trash compactors. Lots of fabulous wines in the area and a love of entertaining led us to install an undercounter wine refrigerator, ours is the size of a dishwasher. Temperature control is the most important feature of the refrigerator.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Yes, a wine cooler will definitely upgrade the look of your kitchen.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you all for your input. We did find a wine fridge that will take the place of the 15" compactor, although I will look into the mixed beverage ones now. We are not changing out the cabinets as they are not that old and are in perfect condition. We bought high end custom cabinets when we redid the kitchen originally but styles for countertops and backsplashes have changed since then and we want to make it appealing and current.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    wine is best for resale unless you are in a remote area with only weekly garbage pickup. I have both; I compact recyclable cans....you can also put the compactor in the garage if you want both. :)
  • 11 years ago

    I am looking for a built in narrow wine cooler. It's going into a small space so I need less than 20" wide and depth less than 21" - thank you


  • 11 years ago

    zigzag10

    I am looking for a built in narrow wine cooler. It's going into a small space so I need less than 20" wide and depth less than 21" - any suggestions ??

    Thanks

  • 11 years ago

    This thread is from 2012.

    zigzag10, if you want help, start your own thread.

  • 9 years ago

    Does anyone think it is a mistake replacing a dishwasher for a wine cooler?

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I don't think replacing the DW with a wine fridge is a mistake for two reasons: 1. Its not permanent so the next homeowner can easily change it back to a DW if they'd like (or you can when you move) and 2. You could certainly make a strong case that wine is more important than washing dishes... ;o)

    - Steve

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH