0

Carpeting the whole house - tips wanted

myrtle_59

It's time to replace the 19 year old carpet all over our house.

I got the money, I picked the carpet, but I dread the installation. The men moving the 56 inch tv, the very large very heavy dining room furniture, the antique secretary desk with attached book shelves and glass doors. Me boxing up and move every stinkin' knicknack, book, clothes in the closets. Where will we put all this stuff when they work? How will they move the king size bed and two large dresser/mirror pieces from our bedroom to work. There is no place to put it, every room is full, every room is marked for new carpet ...

How does one do this? Please, desperate for tips and your experience in handling this.

• glennsfc

Until someone else posts their experiences, I can recommend renting a POD storage unit. They can place these things in driveways or on lawns...you fill it up with your stuff and after the floor work you move it all back in.

I bet you can also contract with a storage facility to do a temporary storage move...they would supply the manpower and the insurance to do the move.

• weedyacres

My parents recarpeted their upstairs (4 bedrooms + hallway) a few months ago. They did it in phases. They first emptied 2 rooms and put the stuff in the other 2 rooms. The installers then carpeted those 2 rooms. Then my parents moved everything back into those 2 rooms and emptied out the other two rooms into the finished ones. The installers came back a few days later and installed the carpet in the rest of the rooms. My parents then moved everything back in.

Even if your rooms feel full, you can cram more in by taking apart the beds and tipping the mattresses up against the wall, moving everything around to fill in the empty spaces, using the bathrooms and kitchen and any other non-carpeted rooms. Garage and covered patio can suffice for temporary storage.

It'll be a pain no matter how you do it. But doing it in phases over a few weeks may be the least painful. A POD is also a good idea if you want to do it in one fell swoop.

• floorguy

When I did occupied homes, I always started in the biggest room, and the hallways. Then tried to empty the small rooms off the hallway, into the big room, moving room to room. Usually the hallway is the center of the installation, or everything is tied to it, so it has to be the first area stretched, with a room attached.

• tiledepotus

When I send my crew to install carpet, no meter the size of home, job done same day.

Make sure the installers ready for the job and the have a way and plan which room to empty and to where, I would not let it go to days.

I think you worry too much, carpet installers doing this type of furniture moving on almost every single job.

Just over look and try help with little thinks when you see it need.

Good luck

• myrtle_59

Thanks for all the tips. Especially the one about worrying too much ;-)

I do tend to take on other people's jobs (but that is for a reason too).
    Floorguy and Tiledepotus,
    About the one day, the man who did the estimate said 2 days. One day would be better. I will bring it up. Part of the issue for me is according to him I have to remove all loose items. Does that mean empty all free standing bookcases, empty all closets, all china cupboards and hutches, unplug all computers and tv's and components ... Should I trust them with the giant screen tv and dressers with attached mirrors? The old secretary desk with the attached bookcase will have to be taken apart - can they do that?

Thanks for your experience on this.

• glennsfc

Yes...you need to remove all small loose items yourself. Installers do not unpack china cupboards and hutches, closets and bookshelves and they don't in general practice move your lamps and unplug your electronics. Some will help you disassemble furniture items, but don't expect that will be what they will agree to do. Furniture moving is not usually covered in their insurance policies...they are not furniture movers.

If your floor work is involved with many seams, don't rush the installers. If they need two days to get it done right, let them have the two days.

• Happyladi

Yes, it is a pain but the new carpet will be so nice to have.

Since I wasn't going to have carpet put in the kitchen and bathrooms I used those rooms to store my books and other stuff. If you have boxes that can be easily moved on the closet floors that is okay but loose things need to be moved. I used the bathtubs for a lot of the things in the closets.

• barkri12

Not that any of you were seething in anticipation, but I have finally finished with Part II. We will now discuss payment policies and the installation of your new carpet.

After you have negotiated your Flooring Contract the dealer will most likely ask you for a deposit up front. This is okay and is a part of an average contract. They will ask you for a fifty to seventy-five percent deposit. This money is used to order your materials and insure that the dealer can deliver your contract without any money problems. Materials and Labor will usually be at least seventy-five to eighty percent of the total cost so they really do need a deposit before they can continue in the contract process. If you have worked with a dealer before and trust them, you may want to pay the full amount up front. Most dealers will give you better service if you pay them the whole amount up front in Cash. But beware, if you don't know the dealer well, you may want to only pay the deposit so that if there are any problems at and after installation you still have some leverage to get those things attended to in a timely manner. According to most contracts, you must pay your balance upon installation. However you do have a few days before you must pay. If there are problems with your installation you must still pay your balance according to law. But the dealer or contractor is obligated to attend to your problems. In California a contractor must warranty his labor for one year after installation. An exceptional dealer and contractor will not limit you to exactly one year though. A dealer that really cares about his reputation will repair problems even after your year is up.

Here is a link that might be useful: House buildings movers

• floorguy

In California, it is the law, that no more than 10% of the contract price can be collected for a deposit.

You have to know that to even get a contractors license in California. It is on the test.