Software
Houzz Logo Print
eileenrsavarese

Honed and Polished Marble in same room

13 years ago
I accidentally purchased honed 3"x6" Carrera Marble subway tile for my master bath shower area and I cannot return it, I thought it was polished material. I want to put polished Carrera marble countertops on my double sink vanity in the master bath because I love the richness, luxurious nature and depth of the polished stone. Can I have both honed and polished in the same space or will it look mismatched? The shower area is enclosed in glass.

Comments (14)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I concur, but will add you may find a stone supplier who can polish you tiles in house it is worth a check. If they are already installed he might have a name of a finisher/installer that will field polish the honed stone.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you for your thoughts. I wanted it to look like it was on purpose and not a mistake. I'm going to bring my honed sample when I pick out my countertop and see what it looks like next to a polished piece of marble. The safest bet may be to use a honed Carrera marble countertop or check with a finisher/installer or use a quartz countertop. Do you think a quartz countertop can look luxurious? I appreciate the maintenance comments on the honed in a shower space. Thank you.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Hi Eileen, its hard to comment specifically without seeing the other finishes you're considering for the room, or knowing what style you're planning. (It sounds like traditional or transitional)

    However, quartz would not be my first choice to coordinate with Carrera marble, they are two very different kinds of looks (I love both btw). Polished and honed Carrera together would be much better imo. (There are always exceptions of course ;o)

    If you're still concerned about the mix of honed and polished, I suggest purposely blending the two within the shower space also. This can be done in a number of configurations, such as alternating bands etc, you have many, many options. They can also be separated with a pencil mold etc, to define the materials in a more pronounced way. The subtle contrast between the two can look wonderful if its laid out correctly. Using a polished Carrera mosaic as an accent in the shower could also be beautiful

    Steve
  • 13 years ago
    Steve:
    Thank you for your thoughts on this, they are really good! The feeling I want in the bathroom is light, airy and luxurious. I guess I would describe the style as transitional. I have the honed Carrera marble in the shower space, clean lines/shaker style vanity cabinets, and a contemporary soaking tub. I'm glad you shared your thoughts on quartz, I can strike that from the list. I love your idea of mixing polished and honed in the shower space, that could be the ticket. Thank you.
    Eileen
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You're very welcome Eileen, it sounds as though your bathroom will be gorgeous! Please post photos when you're done, we'd love to see it.
    Steve
  • 13 years ago
    Steve:
    I will do that. I think I forgot to mention the floors are 12 x 24 grey so I'm hoping I'm o.k.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    That could be great. I just finished an entire home in 12x24 grey porcelain, so I know how great it can look :o) Here's a photo of the grey in the kitchen area.
    Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

    This is obviously a very different style from yours, but the grey is very versatile.

    I wish you the very best with your project!
    Steve
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Btw Eileen, I used a polished Carrera marble insert on the inlays in the floor shown above (the "crop circles" as I call them ;o) Its a beautiful tile that may be an option for you, depending on your other tile elements. Here's what it looks like close-up.
    Steve
  • 13 years ago
    Oh my goodness, that is gorgeous!!!!! You are good! I love those floors. I will post pictures when I am done with the project.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Thank you so much!
  • 9 years ago

    I'm wondering about mixing honed and polished porcelain tile in a random fashion in a small shower...? what does everyone think?

  • 8 years ago

    Hello. I have honed tiles on my bathroom floor and @ 3 feet around the wall with a matching honed chair rail. Surrounding the soaking tub (top part only) we chose a polished granite tile with similar colors and did the vanity top the same. In the shower we made a granite niche and a small step from the granite (maked shaving legs easier). The two make it looked unique and compliment eachother.

  • 8 years ago

    I am in a similar position have purchased Aspen marble subway tile for the bathroom in shiny and the floor in honed, hexagon. Will that work?


    I too am worried as I purchased a vanity with a quartz snow white top.


    Look forward to your thoughts?