onenjen_gw

LG ffront loaders and emptying the hose drain/pump filter

onenjen

For those of you with these machines, do you still have some residual water in the pump filter after letting the hose drain?

We have our LG on a wood floor, and it seems that every time I let the hose drain and go to empty the pump filter, there is a decent amount of water that comes out of the pump filter.

Do any of you have the same experience? I don't want to kill my wood floors. I do have a the washer sitting in a laundry tray, but it still makes me nervous. Anyone have any tips on this issue?

• audrey_geier

Chris Kuenning did you figure out your problem? We have the same problem. Took the filter out and now can't screw it back in and it's leaking because it won't screw in all the way.

Best Answer
  • czechchick2

My LG has lots of water inside. When I go get the filter out,I push towel under the washer and towel in front of it. It is just clean clear water. W/ my previous FL I was able to put the machine on drain cycle and open the filter while it was draining so not much water was there. I tried it w/ LG once but somehow It just didn't go right b/c the pump stops and go on and off so I let the water drain in those towels.

• czechchick2

On my LG on the front, bottom left is opening. You need to open the cover-it just flips open and there is little black hose that can be pulled out a little. It has plug in it that can be unscrewed. I get this little gunky liquid to drain out- in some little bowl.Right next to it is the screwed in filter. Before you unsrew it, put some towels under to catch all the water that will drain out. Wash the filter-sometimes I have there threads, but nothing much really. If I let it go for long time(like year) it will feel sort of slimy. Make sure you screw the filter back in the right way otherwise water will leak out when filling up for wash.I once didn't screw it in good and didn't know it was leaking, I slipped and fell, head black and blue leg and arm for long time.
    I found the info in my manual so you should have it too.
    The installer didn't say anything to me either.

• regus_patoff

check your LG Owners Manual

• momof1

I just bought the LG 2455 today. Can you explain when, why and where I empty the hose drain/ pump. The salesman didn't tell us about that. Sorry to hijack.

• donnawb

Wondering if this is normal because today I followed the directions on the "clean the pump filter" and a tiny bit of water came out of the hose but when I opened the filter a whole lot of water came out all over my floor.

Does it happen to any one else? I read that some one said to lay down towels but wondering if it is suppose to do that.

• regus_patoff

from the Owner's Manual:

2. Unplug the drain plug, allowing the water to flow out.
    At this time use a vessel to prevent water from flowing onto the floor.

• donnawb

Thank you but I read the instructions. My question was does most of the water come out of the filter plug after you have drained it?

• czechchick2

Yes, read my post above...

• lascatx

I just checked mine this week after having a dog with an allergy shedding like crazy and washing all the bedding. Just one of the many joys -- but it was probably due anyway.

I use a dishpan or pot under the open panel (mine are on pedestals -- gives me plenty of room, but should work the same for those on the floor). I will leave it to drain for several minutes before trying to open the filter. This time, we were just about to sit down to dinner, and I wanted to leave it draining without having to worry about it. I found a clip that I could put around the hose without pinching it to weight down the end and left it while we ate. When I came back, it was no longer dripping and I got no water when I opened the filter. Normally I will let the hose dangle until it stops dripping and then hold it down to make sure I can't get any more water to drip out. I sometimes get some drip, but only a little and I keep the pan in place.

If you are getting any significant water out of the plug, make sure you get the hose as low as you can so gravity halps drain as much water as possible first and give it several minutes.

• czechchick2

I don't have patience for it so I just let it drain in towels which go in the wash after.....

• lazcow

If you pull the drain hose out to far it will kink and stop draining, put back in a little and see if it drains any more. Also as previous post said when it seems like it is done lower the hose to see if any more comes out. At this point put a towel or paper towel under the filter area as you unscrew and remove as you may have some residual water come out.

• mamapinky0

Did you know this thread is 7 years old haha

• Chris Kuenning

I know this thread is 7 years old, but the information has helped me a lot!! haha

• mamapinky0

I wasn't being sarcastic I just thought it was cute.

• Chris Kuenning

Okay, you are right - it "was" cute. :-) Initially I thought you were being sarcastic and I am sorry about that. I still can't figure out why mine is leaking. It started when I cleaned out the drain filter. I CANNOT get it screwed back in correctly. I guess it's time to call the repairman!!!

• mamapinky0

Chris give this a while and maybe one of the tech experts will be able to help.

• Chris Kuenning

Thanks, mamapinky0; I will wait. In the meantime, I have nothing to wear, but clothes are overrated anyway. :-) I will wait and post if I get it fixed and what the problem is. Have a great day tomorrow!!!

• karenkenter

Today when I tried to drain the filter, no water came out of the hose. But when I began to unscrew the filter, it was full of water. The hose may be clogged or kinked. Does anyone what to do about either of these possibilities?

• Barbara Purdy

I am having exactly the same problem with the tube not draining and water pouring out of the filter and although the filter is screwed back in tightly after cleaning it seems to be leaking now when I run the washing machine. hmmmm

• Cheryl Umana

For the few years I’ve had the machine, water would only come out of the drain hose, not the filter. Yesterday, after we noticed a funny smell, I emptied the drain hose (as I do monthly) and then when I opened the filter a ton of water came pouring out, Tightened everything up and did a load of laundry. Both drain hose and filter were full of water again! Any ideas?

• Amanda Raithel

I take apart a wire hanger and gently run it up the hose a few times. I get sand and dirt trapped in mine. It will then drain and I can removed the filter and clean it.

• dadoes

My sister's frontloader wouldn't drain recently, triggered a fault code. The pump ran, just no drain. I disassembled it for examination, found all the hoses in the drain/pump route inside the machine were at least 1/2 clogged with debris. Her subdivision outside town has a community water supply, heavy mineral content and sediment.