Software
Houzz Logo Print
maricela_segura

What white trim color to use with BM White Dove?

13 years ago
last modified: 13 years ago
I will be using Benjamin Moore's White Dove for our walls and I can't decide which white to use for the trim. I see a lot of people use BM Decorator's white. I also like Farrow and Ball All White. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I like the look of this house feature here. Our house has a similar rail and feel, although.

Cary Bernstein Architect Potrero Residence · More Info

Comments (79)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    We've never had that problem but you should always do a test. Use White Dove for the primer to see how it looks - you can always change the top coat. Also, use an eggshell finish to help reflect some light - flat paint does not reflect light.

  • 6 years ago

    That looks great Kindra Spears! Would you say white dove leans more towards yellow or gray with undertones? It looks more yellowish in this pic?

  • 6 years ago

    this room gets quite a bit of sunlight from the south and east windows and it definitely reads a bit more yellow. On the west side it is more gray.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Thanks for posting a photo Kindra Spears. I suspect many others are going to follow your lead and use the same colors and finish as you because it looks so good. A picture really is worth a thousand words! What color and finish did you use on the ceiling?

  • 6 years ago

    I am thinking about painting my main walls Dove White and the trim Super White. Has anyone else tried this? I would like my trim and doors the same throughout the house. Some rooms will be different colors.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Super White or Decorators White are excellent pairings with White Dove. We prefer our walls to have an eggshell finish & the trim to be semi-gloss. In wet areas, use a higher sheen (pearl) on the walls to help resist moisture and for easier cleaning.

  • 6 years ago

    if i have off white Countertop - quartz MSI Calacatta Botanica - and White dove walls, should i keep my cabinets White dove as well?

    Or pr use a brighter like Pure White?

  • 6 years ago


    ?

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    It's best to have he painters provide a few color samples (brushouts) so that you can see which one(s) work best with your materials and in the specific light of your kitchen.

  • 6 years ago

    I am just finishing our Reno. I used MSI Calcutta Leon and did my cabinets in bm white dove. I think they go nicely with counter. But against my ceiling the cupboards look Greige. I have balboa mist as a wall colour. I am trying to figure out the trim. I just did a sample of simply white semi gloss. It definitely has a yellow tone.

  • 6 years ago

    THANK YOU, Karen. This is super helpful! Do you have any photos you can post?! I started looking into Statuary Classique by MSI too

  • 6 years ago

    I am just finishing our Reno. I used MSI Calcutta Leon and did my cabinets in bm white dove. I think they go nicely with counter. But against my ceiling the cupboards look Greige. I have balboa mist as a wall colour. I am trying to figure out the trim. I just did a sample of simply white semi gloss.

  • 6 years ago

    thank you. that looks stunning...

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you. I am still trying to figure out the trim.

  • 6 years ago

    Just painted my walls in BM White Dove. I have North and West lighting and it appears more gray. Should I do WD in semi-gloss for trim or a brighter white to contrast? And what color for the fireplace?
    Thank you!

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I think the ceiling should be painted a lighter color that BM White Dove. In the photo, your ceilings almost appear gray. Just a suggestion

  • 5 years ago

    I am building a tiny house and I have painted my walls BM White Dove (eggshell). Should I paint the trim in with a semi-gloss in White Dove? Will there be any contrast?

  • 5 years ago

    I ended up painting it WD in semi gloss and it’s beautiful and there is a small contrast.

  • 5 years ago

    @amber F could you post pics?

  • 5 years ago

    I"d love to see them too - my painter is using SW paint and I am color matching White Dove at SW (I know its not 100% accurate but its very, very close). I'm trying to figure out whether I should just do WD trim in semi-gloss or if anyone has another example or suggestion of a SW color that would complement/be a shade whiter than White Dove?

  • 5 years ago

    I was here for this exact question Lucie! I hope we both get the answers we need. I'm contemplating whether or not to do same White Dove wall color and trim if not, what is the best white that goes with White Dove? I'll be using this as my trims, ceiling & doors. HELP!

  • 5 years ago

    Lucid, I actually ended up color matching WD in SW paint for the trim. I used the hybrid paint that is a mix of oil and latex base so it would stick to the original paint better, but I could still wipe it clean if I made a mistake. It is perfect!

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    We generally like to keep the trim and wall colors the same but the trim should have a semi-gloss finish and the walls should have an. eggshell or satin finish.

  • 5 years ago

    Yes. We used eggshell (satin) for the walls and semigloss for the trim

  • 5 years ago

    I picked the eggshell WD for walls and the semi-gloss WD for the trim, too.

  • 5 years ago

    Hi,

    I am doing a bedroom and the wall colours that I had picked don't work with the accent colour at all. I need some suggestions if you are willing to share your thoughts!


    It's a low ceiling, rectangle shape room with low slanted ceiling on one side where the head of the bed will be. moderate lighting, oriented East with two windows.


    Ceiling is painted Chantilly lace, I have Tuscon Teal for the slated wall behind the bed, and across around the built in cabinets.

    I had Soft Sand picked out, and it looks muddy/ pink and overall not great with Tuscon Teal in my opinion.

    The trim is White dove semi gloss.


    Should I go with White dove on the wall? Or with a beige?


    What do you think?


    Thank you. Maeva


  • 5 years ago

    HU-88670596 can I ask you what color you ended up picking for the trims, Celiings and doors. I am doing White dove walls but thinking of simply white for the trims etc.

  • 5 years ago

    @HU-88670596 can I ask you what color you ended up picking for the trims, ceilings and doors of you used White Dove for the walls?

  • 5 years ago

    We are renovating our main floor with white cabinets, mocha island. Quarts counter top with subtle swirl of both grey and hint of beige. White open concept, black window Payne’s and new engineered wood floor. Our cabinet designer suggested Benjamin Moore Simply White for the cabinets. White Dove is a beautiful white in our space too. Can we pair Simply White cabinets with White Dove together?

  • 5 years ago

    Hi Steacy, I don't know if I am the best person to respond, but while researching the colors for my walls, the consensus going around the many interior designer's blogs I visited is that different shades of whites might clash side by side. I have White dove in my bathroom and bedroom and they look different in both rooms. I tried it on the walls in my kitchen and it looked too yellow next to my white cabinets. Simply white is creamier. All that to say I personally wouldn't pair the two... Cheers!

  • 5 years ago

    I agree, Simpy White paired with White Dove has a chance of one making the other look dingy. It may look like you tried to match the same colors and missed the mark. If you're going to do White Dove walls you're better off doing the cabinetry and trim in White Dove or cabinetry/trim in a brighter "cleaner" white like Chantilly Lace.

  • 5 years ago

    I did my kitchen cabinets in white dove. I have 9" ceilings and the cabinets pretty much go to the ceiling except for a 9" trim at the top. It is also in white dove. The ceiling was done in BM ceiling paint. The whites clash and it drives me crazy. I was told to maybe paint the ceiling in 50% dove white or 25%. I just don't want it to look too dingy. Any advice? My trim is dove white and the open concept family room is painted in Balboa mist.

  • 5 years ago

    I have White dove on walls flat and on the trims in gloss and Flat chantilly lace on ceilings. There is a difference in the two, but it doesn't "clash" per say or drive me nuts. The natural and artificial light also impacts the said difference and sometimes it's not even noticeable... I don't walk looking up to the ceiling so I forget about it honestly.
    If you don't want them to be different, and risk clashing, you could paint your ceiling White Dove...

  • 5 years ago

    I had my walls and ceilings painted BM white dove. It is so so white and doesn’t look as warm as I thought it would. I was originally planning to do white dove for the trim as well but wondering now if I should go with another color to help tone down the bright white walls.

  • 5 years ago

    We are using white dove flat on our full house repaint. House sits East and West. To me, there is too much yellow. I can’t change the wall and wondered if White Dove would look ok on the white trim? If you think I would like it better?

  • 5 years ago

    This is what it looks like with white trim

  • 5 years ago

    Corrinegiles,
    I have white Dove on trim (semi gloss) and on wall ( flat). I personally like it better than a different white on the trim. But it's not for everyone.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    @corinnegiles, which white paint color is used for the bright white door? Is that Behr's Ultra Pure White? I'm wondering if that white door is too bright for white dove?

  • 5 years ago

    Hi,


    I'm in a "White Dove looking yellow" panic and hoping someone can lend some good advice.


    We are doing a complete renovation on our basement.. My builder just painted BM White Dove on my walls before the lighting went in. (A major misunderstanding, both our faults, to be fair.) I am sick because upstairs, White Dove looks so much brighter on my kitchen cabinets. Downstairs on the walls it looks REALLY yellow against the bright white ceilings (also probably a mistake for that color). I am just sick about it. I'm hoping once my LED lights go in tomorrow, which are true to color, that it won't look so yellow. So I have two questions:

    1) If Dove White still looks yellowish under the true to color LED lighting, and I'm lucky enough that it's just his first coat, could the second coat in Chantilly Lace cover (it's Behr color matched, which has primer built in)? I'm really panicked - at this point, at night with the construction lights, it looks very dingy.... Just for context, I'll be putting in vinyl plank pine floors, which was why I went that way - Dove White seemed much more cohesive with the flooring than Chantilly Lace, my usual bright white go-to. All the trim on my first floor is Chantilly Lace, and I love it!.

    2) Is there anything I could do with the trim to make the Dove White read more gray and less yellow? I really can't afford to pay the contractor to repaint two coats on all the walls (about 1400 sq ft) if it's not his first coat.


    Forgot to mention, my original plan was to do Dove White on both the walls and the trim. The walls are matte, the trim was either going to be Satin or Semi-gloss.


    Thanks for any advice you can give me - I will have to make a decision once I see all of this in the proper lighting, tomorrow:(:(!


    Donna

  • 4 years ago

    My woodwork is painted White Dove by BM what white wall color will compliment it.

  • 4 years ago

    We painted our trim White Dove also, but in a semi gloss, changed out all of our light bulbs to bright white which helped a little. I am still not happy with the White Dove walls because they still have a yellow cast to me. 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️

  • 4 years ago

    I changed my wall color to Classic Gray by Benjamin Moore. I will keep the White Dove Trim. I couldn't reconcile myself to the yellowish cast on the walls. The trim isn't actually up yet - hoping it will bring everything together!

  • 4 years ago

    Donna - start a new post with your dilemma. There are a lot of pros on this website that are color experts. You don’t need to move to a gray.

  • 2 years ago

    I’m painting my walls and trim BM White Dove in eggshell and semigloss respectively. I want to paint the ceiling the same BM White Dove, do I need to use a flat or can I use eggshell like the walls?

  • 2 years ago

    Flat always for any ceiling. Any sheen reflecting off a ceiling looks cheap.

  • 2 years ago

    Thank you, Mark!

  • last year

    HOW on earth am I finding myself after a year of construction and planning still in a flummox over paint? It’s now Painting Day Eve—my painter wants my wall colors tomorrow. Maybe I just won’t sleep. Before demo, it was impossible for me to see what was possible with all the old surfaces and colors. Fast forward through the gutting, reframing, and installations, I’ve now tried to get it all right with a house covered in ram board on floors and plastic on windows and all covering all cabinetry. I likely made a BIG mistake choosing Chantilly Lace for windows, trim, and cabinets first (yep, I know….) and then trying to find a backsplash to work with it and soapstone counters. The tile I ended up with is Sonoma Tilemakers Gardenia Crackle 3x6–I saw it used (online) with Chantilly Lace cabinets and, after it was too late since windows were painted and cabinets ordered, with White Dove cabinets. Will I end up in the Design Hall of Shame for having Chantilly Lace trim in Semi-gloss (probably should have been encouraged to go with Satin) with White Dove walls in Matte? Or, White Dove in Eggshell. Most in my sphere are suggesting Matte. Thinking they should have made some other suggestions earlier. The trim is nearly done, so there is no going back on Windows, doors, trim, and cabinets. They are CL, but I have to make the tile look intentional with the wall paint. One tiny sample didn’t show the undertone as much as after installation.

  • last year
    last modified: last year

    @yalemichmom

    My cabinets, trim, doors, crown and built-ins are all BM Chantilly Lace. All semi-gloss except for the cabinets that are a low-gloss cabinet paint. My ceilings are BM Chantilly Lace. My walls are BM White Dove in matte.

    I had no problem finding a backsplash to work with Chantilly Lace cabinets and my Taj Mahal quartzite counters.

    I picked Chantilly Lace because it was the only white that didn't look dingy in my north facing FL kitchen. It looks a bit bright in a mudroom that faces south, but looks good everywhere else in the house.

    Why do you think you made a big mistake?

  • last year

    I used BM White Dove eggshell, I’m getting ready to do the trim now and in researching internet the suggested Chantilly Lace but no mention of the finish. Should I go with Satin or Semi gloss?