Software
Houzz Logo Print
kcrocombe

Decorating above kitchen cabinets

13 years ago
Decorating above kitchen cabinets...... yes or no? I hate to put things up there just to put them up there and I don't have anything special that I want to put up there.....but I feel like there should be something. Thought and ideas?

Comments (22)

  • 13 years ago
    And I was in the process of taking down what was up there, I just hadn't finished yet.
  • 13 years ago
    I am facing a similar dilemma with my sloped ceiling kitchen Reno. One bank of cupboards will have about the same clearance you have-not really enough for anything (but dust bunnies). I am considering having a bulkhead constructed back always to avoid the dust trap. I also like the idea of putting lights up and some garland for Christmas, or mounting some accent lighting in the shadows.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Just depends on your "style" Don't feel like you "have" to put something up there though. It will just be more to catch dust. I am not a fan of things above kitchen cabinets but some things I've seen are large vases and wine crates.
  • 13 years ago
    I'm not in favor of anything that attracts dust. Maybe an eye catching wallpaper would work? [houzz=
    Deep Silver Mica Chips Textured Metallic Wallpaper · More Info
    ]
  • 13 years ago
    Just leave the space clear and simple.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    It actually looks a bit narrow to worth putting anything up there.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I like the art pieces you have up there now. I love the fish. You could place the other fish on top of the cabinet also. I'd say leave them. But don't add too much because it will look cluttered ( 3 to 4 is good spaced out). You could move one of the two pieces on tip of the cabinet on the left to the area above the stove for balance of pieces. Just turn the tall silver item the long way above a cabinet. If you hate it, then take it all down. Love your kitchen!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I think you should have a soffit built so dust will not collect there. It appears that there is only about 8" above the crown molding. Not really enough to create an open display. If you built a soffit you could stencil a quote, paint an accent color or have eyecatching wallpaper as oldbob suggested.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would leave the space clear. Negative space is just as important as things put in a space. The eye also likes voids. Hope that helps. Charmean Neithart
  • 13 years ago
    Best idea: fill in with soffit and put quote that is meaningful to you or eve better, make up your own.
    It's too small for "stuff"
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    NO, the height is not tall enough to properly display your items. You do not want to be highlighting this small space!
    Cheers!
    m.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    NO, the height is not tall enough to properly display your items. You do not want to be highlighting this small space!
    Cheers!
    m.
  • 13 years ago
    Nothing is needed above---too small for display. :)
  • 13 years ago
    OK - someone keeps suggesting adding the LED ROPE lighting for above the cabinets - why on earth would this look good and highlight the deepest - darkest corner of the kitchen here - where the ceiling slopes? I cculd see this in larger tray celings - not here. sorry :-(

    I like the concept of adding something above your one cabinet as shown - I would leave the rest alone - it will only collect dust and you will have to keep cleaning it.

    Here is a trick I got from my Mom - which I used while cleaning houses in college - line the tops of the cabinets with Alum. foil - this will keep out dust and grease! When you want to clean - simply remove all the foil and throw away. You will never have to wash the top of a cabinet again. Sadly - I tried this with paper towels - what a mess.

    I would not add crown because of your slope - I would simply leave this alone - not every single space needs something or anything? Your room is lovely - and you have done a very nice job here. :-)
  • 13 years ago
    HI -- Your cabinets don't need anything on top. I have covered the tops of mine with news paper and that was an easy cleanup by just changing the paper every so often. Rope or a string of lighting adds a nice affect to the kitchen so up lighting is very common . With your kitchen ,- just and only for the Christmas season , you could put some green prelite garland on top.
  • 13 years ago
    Actually there is already rope lighting up there but some of the rope has burned out. I need to replace it but it did look good. It added light and shadows and just makes it look like a more upscale, custom kitchen.
  • 13 years ago
    Ok - if you like that - go with it. (the lighting) - I think your space is lovely.
  • 13 years ago
    If you feel like you need something, do something to seal off the area so you don't HAVE to dust it... a set of fabric covered valence board (the right width) and slightly recessed from the front edge of the cabinets might give a good look if you like the fabric covering the board. You've got some depth of cabinet there so you can do something in 3 dimensions rather than just flat (zig zag-ish)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    There's no reason to stay away from lights above the cabinets, even when you have shorter ceilings!

    Here are some examples of our customers with shorter ceilings with above cabinet lighting, and the last ones even have slanted ceilings like yours and still have a few items on top of the cabinets. Like you said, lighting above the cabinet gives your kitchen a little something extra!
  • 13 years ago
    "just lighting" might be the way to go.
  • 13 years ago
    Please just no fake plastic ivy lol! Lost track of how many houses we saw with that and how many were dusty too. Ugh! I think it looks fine the way it is but nice lighting is an intriguing idea :)

    Jenn
Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County