Software
Houzz Logo Print
hamsundm

If this was your lamp...

16 years ago

If you had this lamp (and you loved it of course!)

And were decorating your bedroom with the lamp being the main color 'inspiration' item, what would you do?

I need bedding, WTs, artwork, carpet (which I would keep neutral).

I do have a headboard

And some oak




This lamp has been moved around our house and has never found a good home. It was a wedding gift and I do love it. I do have a fuzzy picture in my head of what I want the room to look like, but am curious what other ideas I might consider before I proceed... a bit of a brainstorming session, I guess!

:)

Comments (11)

  • 16 years ago

    Nice shade, but could we see the rest of the lamp?

    I would do a cream color for the carpeting, a rich eggplant color on the walls, and traditional bedding something like this, perhaps:

    annabel quilt

  • 16 years ago

    I can take a better pic tonight, but for now, here's an OLD pic of the whole lamp... (excuse the Christmas clutter and mess!)

    Les, that's a pretty quilt. Thanks for your thoughts!

  • 16 years ago

    I think I would pick either the blue or the purple and run with that. Macy's does have a Martha Stewart bedding set with blue and purple hydrangeas on it but it might be too much of a good thing.

    I just bought some shams from Pine Cone Hill in the Camilla pattern and they have a soft reddish purple in them. I merrily started looking for a similar purple something to put at the end of the bed for His Dogness. Well, that purple is pretty hard to find right now. I have a hunch you'd find more options with the blue.

  • 16 years ago

    Have you abandoned the idea of the gray walls from the previous thread? I don't believe the wall colors have to blend specifically with the lamp in order to make the lamp a focal point. In fact, neutral gray walls would not fight for prominence with the lamp.

  • 16 years ago

    I agree with pp, graywings. The gray walls with the annabel quilt from JCP would be a VERY good choice. This could get ugly and out of hand .....fast! lol Keep it CLASSY! Gray walls......yes....just copy the JCP room and you'd be in decorating heaven!!!! or we would, when you post the finished product we'd LOVE it!!!!

  • 16 years ago

    graywings - Oh, no I haven't abandoned gray at all. I was just curious to hear different ideas. I don't think I've ever had the chance to start so fresh with a room and want to consider all angles. Glad you think the gray would work!

    amysrq - Yes, that's always been my struggle. Too much of a good thing. I do think the blue is a really pretty color, too. It's the color of our first nursery actually.

  • 16 years ago

    Here is a pic of the lamp with the base. Still not the greatest of pics...

    My thought was gray walls, gray bedding with possibly some purple detail on a pillow or something. Definitely understated.
    I thought this lamp might be good conversation for the different possibilities as it's a bit different or unexpected?.

    Thanks for the thoughts!

  • 16 years ago

    What if you go with the gray and then do an accent wall behind your bed to blend with the lamp...I like the eggplant suggestion...those 2 colors look great together. Your lamp is beautiful.

  • 16 years ago

    What a cute lamp! I've got a preference for solids, so I'd go with solids for the linens. Like the idea of the accent color wall...and then find a pretty throw with a similar pansy pattern. Maybe some nice floral prints for the walls, too? Your bed is ornate, so I'd definitely go with solids for the bedding.

  • 16 years ago

    I agree with understated and going with the subtler shades. Remember the thread in which Nutmegxo was unhappy with the DR colours she'd picked to match her new drapes. I think the principles are the same.

    Also I agree with more patterns. You might find say a pansy rug that would work (your current carpet actually looks fine with it) but other patterns that pick up the shades and the mood but have a different pattern (above all a different scale) would also tie things up nicely.

    KarinL

  • 16 years ago

    I wouldn't go too themey....stay neutral and let the lamp shine.
    The Annabel Quilt is pretty yet neutral enough to be the perfect touch. I would stay lighter on the walls too.
    Make sure that you show us the end result. :)