Software
Houzz Logo Print
gulliverswift

internal windows

13 years ago
We are making this indoor pool into a bedroom and bathroom, adjoining this sitting room. What shall we do with the brick and windows? We do not like the Spanish Hacienda style and want to achieve a 'barn' style. Do we just plasterboard and paint, and if so what colours?

Comments (12)

  • 13 years ago
    Shall I paint the brick white and block in the windows? Given that the swimming pool beyond will be drained (too expensive to heat sadly) and made into a bedroom, what do I do with these internal windows? Would you make a feature of the arches, take the glass out and site the dividing wall a little further back to make, for example bookshelves? I want to paint the brick white, as I want a 'Nantucket' /New England style, not mediterranean. (The house is in the English countryside). I am not keen on very rustic.
  • 13 years ago
    Should I paint the brick white?
  • 13 years ago
    If you like the barn style, maybe you could find some reclaimed wood and just clad the whole wall, on both sides?
  • 13 years ago
    That is a very good idea. The ceiling is very high, you can just glimpse it, it is a bright varnished pine. I would love to paint it white, but enable the wood grain still to show. Any ideas how to achieve that look? This is the sitting room the other side. I am hoping it shows the ceiling and i have picked the right one!
  • 13 years ago
    That is a very good idea. The ceiling is very high, you can just glimpse it, it is a bright varnished pine. I would love to paint it white, but enable the wood grain still to show. Any ideas how to achieve that look? This is the sitting room the other side. I am hoping it shows the ceiling and i have picked the right one!
  • 13 years ago
    Perhaps a watered down (50/50) white paint. I would test a small, unnoticeable area first to make sure you like the look before starting in the center, which is what I would mistakenly do.
  • 13 years ago
    I think it would be a shame to paint the brick. It is a beautiful architectural detail, and adds a lot of character to both rooms. I like your idea of making some windows into bookshelves. You could also just drywall the window portion, and use the space for artwork. Or would you ever want to open the rooms to each other for light? What about keeping the glass, and using floor to ceiling drapes in the bedroom all the way around, which would mostly stay closed but could also be opened?
  • 13 years ago
    Well good luck with it then! Let us know what the plumber says, ok?
  • 13 years ago
    i think you should paint the ceiling white save for a couple of beams, and clad the brick wall - also white/ or reclaimed wood... will find some pics! x
  • 13 years ago
    HI -- If you are going to all that trouble of getting rid of the pool then just get rid of the wall of windows and brick and have walls . You could probably sell the windows and brick - just a thought. If you are going to do this might as well do it properly.I have never liked the look of inside windows because it always looks like you have only done a reno half way and it will always look like that area was something else before.
  • 13 years ago
    or you could make one awl a wall of books/ bookshelves and clad the other? If you can afford to knock the wall down then that might be an advantage as you can make the walls where you want them to be? i have just added a load of pics to my idea book so you can look there....
Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions