Software
Houzz Logo Print
larissad

Should I paint this dresser yellow, or play it safe and keep it white?

13 years ago
last modified: 13 years ago
I'm starting to buy stuff for my baby's nursery and just scored this second hand Pottery Barn dresser (for a steal!). It's pretty banged up and needs to be repainted, thankfully I know a professional furniture refinisher who's hooking me up - I'm not handy at all.

Question for you: should I just leave it white or be daring and paint it yellow to give the room more "pop". Attached is a picture of my nursery inspiration, includes color motif/style I'm leaning towards and the dresser I bought. So far I've decided on a white crib and just bought a light heather gray glider.

Thanks for your input!

Comments (23)

  • 13 years ago
    I love what she's done as well! Adorable! I say paint it yellow too!
  • 13 years ago
    Love this! Yellow would make a nice statement.
  • 13 years ago
    One more vote for yellow, just for fun. White is lovely too, but yellow would be charming.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Yellow! What a beautiful space your baby will be happy
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Yellow
    Or what about a light aqua? I say that simply because we are painting a piece light aqua ;-)
  • 13 years ago
    Yellow would be nice, give the room a little more color. It's a nice dresser and the white just kind of blends into the wall... if you're hesitant maybe avoid a super bright yellow, and nothing glossy
  • 13 years ago
    Ooh that aqua is GORGEOUS! Hmm, definite possibility. Which paint did you use? Do you know of a furniture paint brand with a nice palette to choose from??
  • 13 years ago
    Here's a nursery with a yellow dresser, so cute!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams can mix paint to any color you desire. Use enamel paint in a latex formula (less smell for you) and Benjamin Moore has a no VOC one. Enamel will leave less roller marks and dry to a more durable /cleanable finish. You can choose satin or semi gloss finish (I wouldn't do a high gloss personally) Mine was satin. I had them mix the color to my liking so it took a few tries. It was "a little more yellow, a little more blue, a little more, ok perfect!" LOL I found another color that matches it pretty closely I will check it when I get home.
  • 13 years ago
    And here's one of my favorite Houzz nurseries, in your gray, white, and yellow color scheme (with chevrons)
    Gray and Yellow Chevron Crib Bedding · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Yellow has my vote!
  • 13 years ago
    I would leave the dresser white to match the crib and use yellow accents in the bedding or wall hangings.
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, paint it yellow.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I vote yellow as well. I would recommend a glossy finish. I think it is more of an urban look which would mesh well your chevrons.
  • 13 years ago
    Gray tends to be depressing; especially during the winter months. The yellow would bring a little sunshine in teh room and keep it feeling happy!
  • 13 years ago
    Gray tends to be depressing; especially during the winter months. The yellow would bring a little sunshine in the room and keep it feeling happy!
  • 13 years ago
    Gray tends to be depressing; especially during the winter months. The yellow would bring a little sunshine in the room and keep it feeling happy!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Love, love your inspiration photos plus F's. I vote yellow and would suggest keeping the yellow to about 30% of the room's color. Not saying for this room's decor but remember that super brain development requires all colors. Best Wishes, D
  • 13 years ago
    What heather gray paint is this? What brand and in what shade? I love it!
  • 13 years ago
    absolutely yellow! And you can do it yourself. Try it! By the time you pay a professional, you will lose the savings you scored. Best of luck!
  • 10 years ago

    Again, GO YELLOW! It is such a cheerful color and the yellow dresser will just enhance the white crib instead of fighting it or looking too bland. If you were painting the walls yellow, then I would paint the dresser the same white as the crib, but since you aren't, definitely, GO YELLOW!

  • 10 years ago
    3 year old post :)
Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County