LED Lights Compare: Jandy WaterColors vs. Pentair Intellibrite
1. What are the advantages of one make over the other?
* Pentair has a different Lens design
* Jandy claims to us Colorkinetics Technology
Longevity?
Light Illumination?
Cost is not that different is it?
2. Is the Jandy light exactly the same as the Hayward (also uses Colorkinetics)? Differences?
3. I have read on this forum that the Jandy controls (PDA) don't operate the lighting programs of the Pentair lights, just on and off, not able to select color automatically.
Is it better to stay with the same manufacturer to insure proper operation? If the other equipment, heater, pump, filter is Jandy-- would you just go with their new light too? Why or Why not?
Thanks to those who know and those with experience.
Comments (21)
- 17 years ago
I've placed a whole bunch of all of them but have only seen them in person at night 10 or 12 times.
The Colorlogic 3.0, Jandy, and Pentair are noticeably brighter than the original LED's from Polaris and Hayward.
I'd take the Mfg who is also your equipment. This should get you an extended warranty on the lamps too.
Pricewise to me is only a $20 difference between the 3, and 2 are within 5 bucks of each other.See ya,
Kelly - 17 years ago
huskyridor ... I'm unable to fine firm evidence that the 3.0 is out there. Doing a google search returns sketchy results at best and the Hayward site is still listing the 2.5.
Do you have a specific part number?
Related Professionals
Gainesville Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Richmond Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Waterloo Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Brainerd Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Cowansville Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Vincennes Landscape Contractors · Traverse City Landscape Contractors · Evanston Landscape Contractors · Bloomington General Contractors · Springfield General Contractors · Vicksburg General Contractors · Keene General Contractors · Wausau General Contractors · Roswell General Contractors · Boise General Contractors- 17 years ago
I swear by the Pentair IntelliBrite LED lights. They are they only light that has a reflector design that spreads the light into the pool more evening. Others just blast it straight ahead. The Pentair lights is also UL approved while the rest are ETL. Yes, it matters.
njfolks
Original Author17 years agoOK,
Pro- Jandy - extended warranty if all Jandy equipment
Pro- Pentair - their lens design
UL vs ETL - I did a web search and am not convinced this makes a difference, so landa_mac, please illuminate . . . pun intended;)
See one article, for example, http://www.heatizon.com/files/ETL-vs-UL.pdfThe bigger question may be: Will the Jandy handheld PDAs only turn on or off the Pentair Intellibrite light? That is, they will not let you select the actual color and program?
Below is the link to the Jandy owner's manual.
http://www.jandy-downloads.com/pdfs/PDA_Owners_H0572300D-1.pdfI also called Jandy Customer Service and the person had to check this out, but confirmed that the Jandy PDA does not operate anyone else's LED lights (at this time new 4.1 software).
Can anyone confirm from experience?
- 17 years ago
What about controlling the Jandy lights via a Pentair controller (specifically, the EasyTouch System)? Is there any trouble with that? Do you get all of the programmable features?
I am planning on going with the Jandy lights because they are listed as consuming about 20 watts less apiece. I'll have 3 pool lights plus 3 spa lights and am using all solar electricity, so the extra 120 watts per hour makes a difference.
I'd love to go with the lower consuming Jandy if the EasyTouch can control all the programmable features.
- 17 years ago
Hey doublespiral, I highly recommend that you go with Pentair's IntelliBrite lights. The listed wattages you are referring to are the MAX wattages the light will consume. This is typically in white mode when the red, green, and blue LEDs are all ON trying to simulate white. When I contacted Pentair, I learned that their IntelliBrites, while UL rated at 70W, only consume on average 37W. This is when they are in a color show with a portion of the RGB LEDs running.
For the added convenience of having true compatibility with your EasyTouch system, I would not worry about a couple of watts of power difference. Honestly, you are talking about a couple of bucks per year difference if it is even that. Plus, you get the added advantage of the superior lens and reflector technology in the IntelliBrites so more of the light is spread into your pool (instead of blasting it straight forward).
- 17 years ago
This is a great thread for me. Now the pool owners can answer my questions. As Kelly said, being in the pool business we dont get to see a lot of pools at night. Keep the comments coming so I can sell the best products available. Thanks, M.
- 15 years ago
Light, an essential energy source for plant growth, Nanjing Agricultural University, the sun has recently successfully developed an alternative - LED (light emitting diodes) plant growth lamps, this lamp for different plants, different plants tailor different growth custom lighting.
Here is a link that might be useful: 300W led grow lights
- 14 years ago
We are comparing the Jandy and Pentair for our new pool, the advanced lens and reflector technology of Pentair is a major consideration; however, our contractor tells us that he has experienced leakage problems with Pentair. I was not able to validate this, does anyone have any information? What other pros and cons might there be? Thanks much.
- 11 years ago
I have a Jandy PDA-6 controller with Aqua Link main box, when pool was remodeled in 2010 they put Jandy spa LED light in, the pool is two Pentair Intelibrite (Not LED). The Jandy PDA will change the colors you choose and is compatible. Yes, I have had leakage problem with the Pentair lights. The Jandy LED spa light is noticeably brighter even though much smaller.
- 10 years ago
I put in a pool just over two years ago. On my contractors advice I had three Jandy Pro LED lights installed along with all Jandy valves, controls and filter system, but used Pentair for the pool pumps and heater. I found out later had I used all Jandy equipment then I would have gotten a 3 year warranty over the standard 1 year warranty. Now I already have one failed Jandy light and found out it will cost over $700 JUST TO REPLACE THE LENS. That does not include labor. This is a light that they boast 50,000 hours of life in the brochure, but only comes with a 1 year warranty. That should have been a warning which I missed. And I have 3 of them to now worry about!! When I called Jandy, they said too bad, go buy a new light. Reviews on pumps and heaters goes to Pentair for the most part. Maybe that is why Jandy will give a 3 year warranty if you only used their equipment exclusively in a new install. My recommendation- go top of the line Pentair on everything except the valves. Warranties are better and I can only believe their customer service has to be more friendly and compassionate.
- 10 years ago
We've installed about 600 of the Pentair intellibrite 5g lights over the past 5 years, and I've never seen one leak. Their lens design keeps the light where you want it - in the pool. Some of the other lens just scatter the light everywhere (including up and out of the pool, creating a bad glare.) Plus you get a 3 year warranty if you use Pentair equipment and only Pentair lights can be controlled by the Pentair automation. The cost difference is minor, but the advantages are great.
- 7 years ago
So my pool was installed about 10 years ago with 2 Jandy Watercolors 120V LED lights. I've had to replace the boards in both lights 3 times each over the years. Now, another one has gone bad and since there seems to be no improvement in the reliability of these Jandy lights, I cannot justify spending $700 or more every time one of these fails.
Does anyone have any recommendations? Is Pentair more reliable? I'm almost ready to consider going back to halogen! - 7 years ago
We have over 1000 of the Pentair lights installed over the past 10 years and they are extremely reliable. And Pentair provides great service. I'd give them a try.
- 7 years ago
Do you know if the Pentair lights can be controlled by a Jandy AquaLink controller?
- 7 years ago
Yes. I control mine with iaqualink and it works great.....when it is working. Mine quit after 1.5 years. I am now buying a new PCB board and gasket ($350) because Pentair said too bad for you....there is only a 1 year warranty on the light, which is BS. It's two years on the white light, and one year on the color LED, which means they anticipate it failing soon after a year. With a product that with labor costs over a grand, a year warranty is really not acceptable. I know the installer said he has no problems with Pentair lights, but google it. You'll find a ton of pool owners that had the same issue as me. :0(
- 5 years ago
Can anyone advise me on my problem? I have Jandy filter, 2 Jandy pool lights and 1 Jandy spa light. After only 1.5 years both pool lights in the pool went out within days of each other. My pool guy is impossible to reach and difficult to deal with, but he finally said he’d replace them if we buy new ones. So we paid him for 2 new lights (Pentair Intellibright) for $1,700. I asked him why he didn’t get us the Jandy like we already had (that changes to 17 or so colors) and he said it doesn’t matter and there are better. Well..... long story short — his guys were here and cannot pull the wires out to install the new light. I don’t know why and neither to they. So they cut the light out with about 3” of wire and the other end is just a dangling wire in the pool. He says he’s done and they cannot Pull it — it’s stuck. We are trying to get someone else but don’t know if we should get the Jandy lights instead. It will be impossible getting our money back for these lights We use aqua link app to work pool lights, filter etc. are these Intellibright compatible with our app system and Jandy spa light. I am so disgusted and maddened bec we spent a fortune on our pool, patio etc. and we are stuck. P.S. another company first came when we saw the lights didn’t work and they also could not pull the wire through. The piping is underneath our new stone patio. And advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!
- 5 years ago
Pour some Dawn 3x and water down the conduit from the junction until you see it come out inside the pool. Let sit over night should pull thru easily next day unless conduit is broken under ground.
- 5 years ago
Thank you Clear solutions. We just closed the pool and will try that when we open it in the spring. I hope it’s not broken under ground. Since they tried to pull it already, there is only a dangling string near the junction box conduit pipe. We plan to dig up the pipe near the junction about 2 feet, (That’s all there is of dirt before the patio starts). Is there a connection we make to the pool wire that is currently in place in case we can’t pull it? We would need to do this at both ends. Such a disaster. Thanks so much!!!
landa_mac