elle481

Eze breeze windows.Do you like them?

elle481

After months of consulting with several contractors about enclosing our screen porch with windows to keep the rain from ruining expensive sun room furniture we bought for our last house (and doesn't belong on a screen porch), I got cold feet. I realized I still wanted to keep the look and feel of my porch but windows, even casements, would make it another interior room and I didn't want another room, plus the prices we were getting were outrageous. Plexiglas was not an option because our openings are too big and really wouldn't do the trick because we would have to put them up every night and have no easy place to store them.

I had an idea put tracks on the window posts and make shades our of clear vinyl and was trying to research the idea when I came across Eze-Breeze windows. After checking them out and pricing them (they were a fraction of the costs of windows), we are seriously considering them.

Do any of you have these type of windows installed on your porch? Do you like them and are they easy to use? How do the hold up after several years? We live in New England and get lots of snow and rain.

Thanks, Elle

• Lollie q

I have a small screened in porch.. 10X13. I am wondering if any additional support would be needed if I were to enclose this porch with Eze breeze windows and also if I were to put down vinyl plank flooring. Two sides are against the house, and two sides have screens attached to 4x4 posts from the outside, with three 4x4s on the 10' side and 4 on the 13'side. I don't know what these posts rest on as I am not the original owner. The house is 20 years old, can I assume the porch and deck were built to carry this weight? Can these ezewindows sustain the force of snow against them? Or do I need to build a knee wall, which would also increase the load. I live in upstate NY. Does anyone have an opinion of mounting inside or outside. The porch (and deck) are only 24 inches off the ground and accessible from both sides. Really would like more of a three season room, but don't want to have to put in a foundation. Thanks for your help.

• James Johnson

Kathy, you say you went with regular windows, I believe when you enclosed a screen in porch. We were going to do that but in our area it requires a building permit. That also means, in many cases that you need a 2ft solid wall on each corner of the porch, so we would lose 4 feet on each run. Also door could not be against house as it is now. While I agree that regular windows are best, to be up to code (an to be able to sell house in future), you need to have plans and zoning and building permits etc. That may not be the case in your area, but when speaking to the building dept. they said this is pretty standard. Without building structure to code a strong storm could pull porch from house, or roof of porch could be compromised and blown off. My biggest concern is staying with in code and be able to sell in the future.

I want windows from wall to wall I do not like bars on them

I think Design Freedom has covered all the bases. Large windows with all of these requirements = very very very expensive. If you are the southern hemisphere, make sure your windows do not receive full daylight = southern facing windows. This will reduce the amount of heat produced in the house by UV radiation (that is the stuff that makes a rock warm up in sun light. If you do not have the budget for the very expensive glass windows, you may have to alter your "wants" vs. needs. Even in cooler climates, wall-wall (or floor to ceiling) windows do not make for very comfortable living environments (too hot during the day and very cold during the night...and that is with an excellent cooling/heating system in place and working it's guts out). There is a reason why "desert dwellings" don't have a lot of opennings. Direct sunlight = extreme heat. Shade/dark = cool temperatures. If you are in an extreme climate, ++windows may not be the right choice - as beautiful as they are...they are just not practical for most homes.

POLL: Which chore would you most like to skip?

Our dish washer has been broken for some time now, so my answer is DISHES! There is a never ending accumulation & it sucks up so much TIME! Waiting for our upcoming kitchen reno to replace it so I have to do without in the meantime, drat!

Are drapes necessary on my windows? Do they add to the room?

Well here's an update. Waterloo481's mirrors in my room. Had a very nice visit with my fellow Houzzer and although I liked her mirrors in her space I am so glad she parted with them because I think they are perfect in mine. Thanks again Waterloo481!

Need new windows, do I do white wood or oak??

My house has white trim with wood cabinets and doors. I like the brightness of the white combined with the warmth of wood. My original baseboards and window casings were a dark stained pine. I painted them white and painted the windows too. Then we replaced the windows and got white windows. You can paint those windows that are not replaced. I used two coats of Zinsser 123 primer and 2 coats of a latex acrylic enamel. The mixing of white with wood looks a little better with paneled doors rather than hollow core doors. These pics show how well wood and white can work together.
  • Lilly

Are these ok for cats? We have two cats who LOVE to be outdoors and just moved to a home where unfortunately the outdoors won’t be safe for them. We are seriously considering Eze Breeze to enclose a patio so we can enjoy the outside without mosquitoes, and our cats can safely stretch their legs, but I’m worried about how the vinyl will hold up to feline attention. Is anyone with cats able to share their experience?

• Mark Livingston

If you have "normal" cats, I'm sure they will be fine, on the other hand, if you have "wildcats", maybe not. ;)

• Lilly

Ha! While I wouldn’t call them wild, our male cat in particular is very strong - he has inadvertently torn holes in our screen door trying to pull it open to let himself out. Your experience is that the vinyl should hold up?

• Kathy n/a

Then in my opinion I would say no. Do they have their claws? I have read on this somewhere that a family had the windows and their cat damaged one of the windows and was looking for replacement or repair. You might be sorry down the road if one has went through a screen. I debated on Eze Breeze and thermal pane double hung to replace our screens and ended up with Thermal pane and have not regreted one day of My decision. It's beautiful and I get so many compliments its amazing. But the others are pretty too, I just don't have the worry of something poking a hole, something scratching them, how do I clean them, what to use to clean them with, can I hang curtain rods on them, they won't raise and lower properly, just some of the on going questions and/or statements made in this discussion board. As I have stated before, how do you want to spend your time when the room is done? Worrying and nervous about your window and your choice or install permanent windows and be done with it. Sit back and relax and love your room.

Just saying

• Lilly

This is really helpful - thanks, Kathy!

• Angela Organ

Hi All,

I'm considering Eze Breeze and have a few questions. It is my understanding that you can have both screens and the vinyl windows installed. If so, the screens would be on the outside, and this would serve as a protective barrier for say - birds or cats clawing - correct? Second, Has anyone ever put screens on some windows and not all? I'm thinking of putting screens on 2 sides but not the front of our porch so that the view is better. We do want screens to be able to have a bug barrier. Finally, has anyone used a heated ceiling fan in their screened-in porch with Eze Breeze? I'm looking for a heat source and have read about these as an option.

• Tracy Puckett

I am doing a 24x24 screened porch coming off of a typical ranch and have the opportunity now to decide how I lay everything out. I would like to do the vertical 4 track windows. I am not sure how many support poles I will have to have but do not want too many poles breaking up my windows. Any recommendations?

There was one by Thomas Decks that looks sort of like what I would love mine to look like, but I have no idea of spacing, window size, etc.

I have lots of questions so any advice is appreciated.

1) What are twin or triple windows and where are the support poles? Do you recommend 4x4 or 6x6?

2) I live in southwestern Virginia, close to TN and NC. I keep seeing that these are three seasons. Is there any protection with these windows from extreme cold or extreme heat? I know everyone is different, but if we have 32 degree temps outside, would the room be easy enough to heat with a space heater or am I being naïve? Also, as far as heat, we generally do not get about 90 but a handful of days a year. That should make it useful most of the summer, yes?

3) I am struggling with color. I want to easily see my grandbabies playing on their swing and would like them to be able to see us (at least a little bit). What color do you recommend? Initially I thought clear, but not sure that makes sense. I really do not want blinds or curtains.

1. My dad is really against these because they are not traditional glass windows with screens. The only thing I am concerned about is cleaning and wear and tear, but appreciate opinions.

Thanks from a new shopper.

• tector2

If I could do it over, I would have built a traditional glass windows with screens. These windows provide no protection from the heat and the cold. I have a wooded Tn lot and can only use this porch in the spring and a short time in the fall. Every October hundreds of Japanese Lady beetles slip through the screens and plastic windows making the porch impossible to enjoy before it gets cold.

• w_routt

Please see my posts dated 6/2/16 and 2/19/18 for details and photos. There is an abundance of information about these windows on the internet - just Google 'EzeBreeze'. In answer to your specific questions:

1) You would need to talk to a dealer about double and triple units as I did not investigate those. Each of my units were approximately 6' in width which worked well for my porch size. As far as post size, whoever is constructing your porch will need to address that - mine were 4x4.

2) These windows have no thermal resistance, so do not plan on them helping in extreme heat or cold. We live in Iowa - summers 90-100, winters 20's to below zero. We have ceiling fans in our porch which help in the heat, but do not use the porch in extreme cold. The windows work fine for keeping snow out.

3) We chose clear so we had an unobstructed view. If your porch will have an overhang, that will help with keeping the sun out. Our porch is on the East side, so afternoons are pleasant with no sun problem.

4) Many people resist these windows because they are not traditional glass. We have had no problems with them in the 3 years we have had them. We leave them open all the way in the summer, but if we know rain is coming, we close them to prevent water coming through the screens. It takes only seconds to open/close each unit. We clean ours with soap and water. With your size of porch, you will have a lot of surface area to clean no matter what type of window you choose.

You did not mention exit door(s). We choose traditional Larson self-storing full view storm doors as I think the Cabana doors are way overpriced. If you have further questions, feel free to contact me directly.

• PamS

We love our EZE Breeze windows. This is our second house in which we had them installed. Though we have lots of lady bugs in our yard, we've never had a problem with them on the porch, as there are no gaps for them to get in. The ceiling fan helps a lot, though when it's hot and humid we only use the porch in the morning and late evenings. In the winter I use throws and a portable heater to enjoy the space. My porch (actually 3-season room) is my favorite room in the house.

• techno elevators

Fene plast Manufactures UPVC windows, Doors and Shutters in chennai , using the most developed and advanced production systems of the moment, without forgetting that the final finish of its windows is completely manual, men and women who with their hands pamper and They take care of every detail of your new Windows . Your new feneplast UPVC windows are unique.

• Steve Woods

Feneplast must live in a place with no bugs, no screens.

• Charlie Fortanbary

For those that have done these with new construction, did you put in HVAC vents in the space, or, treat it more like a deck? Some of the pictures I've seen have finished hardwood floors, and I thought those required a conditioned space?

last year

We hav had a couple the sliding clips break. I have heard they are easy to replace. Anybody else ever had this happen? And are there suggestions for fixing them.

• Lee Gordon
    last year

Never had this problem but know others have. I would contact diyezebreeze.com They are great people and could probably send out clips.

• ccfil12
    last year

We are in NY and building a 3 season room from scratch and debating using these windows. Any opinion on how they will hold up to the cold winters? Do you think it's a deal breaker? Also, anything to plan for ahead of time if we do use them?

last year

I purchased mine online from ezebreezedirect.com Their prices are far less than any one and the service is beyond compare. They answered all my questions I highly recommend them

last year

Eze breeze is the best choice for enclosing your porch. The best prices can be found on Ezebreezedirect.com

• Susan Madden
    last year

Interested in getting Ezebreeze for our screened in porch since the pollen is horrible and covers the deck and furniture. Do they stay clear after years of use or do they yellow?

• w_routt
    last year

I installed mine in the fall of 2015. I clean them every spring and fall. They are as clear as the day they were installed, no yellowing.

• Glenn Brown
    last year

BEWARE.....Recently moved and wanted a 3 season room on the back of our new residence. Having had EZ Breeze windows in our previous home I requested them for our new room. Getting these windows was an extremely long ordeal that resulted a great deal of frustration. Contrary to the misleading statement on their web site that the windows ship as soon as 10 business days our windows were paid for in full on June 20th and did not arrive until July 31st, a full 41 days. As the 3rd week came and went we inquired with the EZ Breeze store to get a update on when they could be expected to ship/arrive and were given the same answer, "you'll get them when they are shipped and we should expect a email notifying us of shipment". When the shipment arrived it had suffered extensive damage, of the 10 pieces only 4 were usable, the others had extensive damage to the frames. Immediately we informed the EZ Breeze store and after numerous pictures and my contractor in phone communication the replacements were ordered. I was told that the replacements would go into the same production queue that had taken 41 days for the initial order. With the wait for replacements under way both my contractor and myself attempted to get some insight as to a projected shipping date. None of these efforts produced any usable response from ezbreeze and we ultimately gave up trying to get any response or insight. The 6 replacement windows delivered 28 days after the initial shipment. Of the 6 replacements one of the windows was not a size that we ordered. The window was 10 inches narrower that the originally ordered window (initial damaged window waas the proper size) so the wall opening had to be re-framed to accommodate this window. As a side note neither the initial shipment or the replacement shipment contained the installation hardware that was ordered. White SS screws had to be sourced from Lowes to complete the install. This was AFTER we told them that the hardware was not with the initial shipment. 69 total days to get 10 serviceable windows (1 door), dealing with a Sales/CS group that gives no response to inquiries about order status even though the initial shipment took 4X the stated expected delivery time. No consideration or process to supply replacements quickly when something goes wrong with the initial order. As someone that had this product and was a satisfied using them again has been a nightmare. Would not recommend the EZ Breeze Store to anyone.

• Jim Morgan
    last year

I Recently installed EZE-Breeze windows and doors in my covered porch. I love the windows. My parents have had these windows for almost 20 years and they look almost new today. However, the doors are a completely difference story. The basic problem is they leak along the threshold. The lower threshold seal is actual attached to the bottom of the door. What happens is rain gets into the threshold and then leaks into the house! Wouldn't buy the doors again and plan to replace them soon.

last year
    last modified: last year

We had an experience similar to Glenn Brown, damaged windows. It took weeks and three shipments to actually get mostly undamaged replacements. Note that these weren't minor scratches. First replacement shipment was so badly damaged the trucker told us to reject the shipment. We finally gave up, last shipment had some scrapes on the frame, some dents, but not worth the effort to replace them. Now, the vinyl is coming out of the windows, it looks like the vinyl sheet wasn't properly cut, the spline can't possibly hold it in. Dealer isn't being responsive, even though these things supposedly have a 10 year warranty. I think they are quite overpriced for what you get, which is basically a box of aluminum extrusions and some plastic film. Note the fine print when ordering: if you don't order windows with screens, they come with the frames unassembled, so plan on screwing them all together. I don't understand how they get such good reviews. On the plus side, they do look nice. Well, except for the places where the paint was scraped off.

• Kathy n/a
    last year

The same thing is going to happen to

• bbdoll01
    last year

Don't understand the good reviews. We bought them in 2014 and liked them the first couple of years in spite of the difficulty in cleaning. When you have 13 of them, it is not a "breeze". Now, they don't open and close easily and probably half of the spring pins that hold the window in have broken. Emailed with a person today who simply said buy new ones. When I mentioned the difficulty with opening they suggested a product to put on the track (which I had read before not to do that). I would not buy them again.

• Jim Lynch

landgar - I know this is an old thread, but I had a question on your ez breeze porch windows - is the bottom section (area covering railing) part of the sliding window or is that a permanent window? And do top windows slide vertically or horizontally to open? Thanks for info - really like the look of your porch.

• Kathy n/a

Did not get the Ezbreez

• dawnknapp

Jim Lynch, I don't understand your first question. As far as how they open that is your decision.

• Kathy n/a

Did not get the Ezbreez

• Kathy n/a

Thanks for the complement. Love our tilt in thermal windows. No problems with and no hassles with installation or cleaning or curtains hanging right. Perfect choice for our needs along with year round usage here in the Midwest. No regrets with our thermal pane windows and worth every penny $8,000 for contractor to do along with permits and inspections.

• Jim Lynch

I was specifically looking at the above post (from a while ago) from user "landgcar" that included a photo of their porch with EZ breeze windows. Wanted to know how they configured the windows as it looks different from most of the 4 section sliding window installs. Thanks

• Steve Woods

10 years later and we are still loving our Eze Breeze windows on our DIY three season room. No problems whatsoever and the window material is still good as new. https://www.barplan.com/three-season-room-plan/

• Kathy n/a

Good for you

• connemara26

We’ve had these windows for seven years now. They’re light, hold up great against hurricanes and torrential rains (I live in SC). My problem is cleaning them. I think we spent $15.00 in the showroom on a can of some kind of spray cleaner as we were told this is what we’re to use. I used this product the following spring (about a year after installation)...believe me when I say this stuff doesn’t clean anything! All it does is smear and look awful! I have tried over and over to clean them. But no matter what I use, I CANNOT CLEAN THEM ENOUGH TO REMOVE THE SMEARS. When the sun hits them in the morning they look like crap! I have a very large screened in porch ( twelve sets of four windows plus the door which has four smaller windows as a stationary window above. It takes quite a bit of time to wash all those screens inside and out and to clean the partitions between each set of windows. (About 3-4 days). To have the windows looking so filthy and smeared each morning after working so hard is SO AGGRAVATING!!! If I had known how awful they would look in the sunshine I’d never have bought them. If I could I’d change them out for glass, the hell with the weight. I’m almost killing myself now trying to clean them so what’s the difference. I’d rather have all my hard work pay off in the end.
    Has anyone ever heard of being able to change the vinyl windows for glass?
    I checked on the Internet for suggestions on how to clean them. Someone suggested Marine window cleaner. I went to buy it at a boat store and it was $40.00 per can. I compared it to the can of cleaner I had bought at the showroom and they were very similar. I don’t want to get stuck with a $40.00 can of Marine window cleaner....no possibility of buying a boat. 😎

• Kathy n/a

I'm sorry for the problem you're having. I did so much investigating on the Ezbreez prior to a final decision. I chose double hung thermal tilt windows of all the problems I was reading people were having, one being not able to clean them properly and the problems associated with them. 2 years later I have no regrets on my decision, because I read so many issues cats tearing them, cleaning them, problems orders, problems with installation, getting replacement parts, hanging curtains, etc. Hopefully you'll find something that will work for you and you can relax and enjoy your windows.

• Maxypaxy NJ

Do Not Buy This Product. We have had these installed in a second home for about 10 years now and I would discourage anyone from buying them. The parts do not hold up and they are impossible to clean. We have about 10 windows and never touch any sections except the bottom ones but even with the very little we do open any section, at least 10 thumb latches have snapped off. That's 50% fail rate which is unacceptable. I could almost live with that but the vinyl is another story. It has become hazy and has permanent marks from the sun and there is no way to clean up. So the beautiful look we once had in our room is now marred by ugly, dirty looking windows. There is no fix either other than replacing every window vinyl panel which I would not spend the money to redo because the same problem would recur.

• Steve Woods

Hmmm, I've had these for over 10 years and never broken off a single latch. Granted, the film is not as clear as glass, but we keep them open 99% of the time anyway. Only close them in winter and during rain or high winds. Compared to the price of glass windows, these are still our best choice. Have not had one tear or failure of the panes themselves on the windows or the transoms. These have even seen an F0 tornado last year and very high winds. Sounds like "Kathy" is here from a window dealer trying to torpedo everyone who is interested in them. $8000 for windows? I built my entire patio for 8k.

• Maxypaxy NJ

To follow up on my previous comment, please see photo from one panel in my enclosed porch at Little Egg Harbor NJ.

• Kathy n/a

Steve Woods, my entire room was $8,000, not just the windows. That was insullation, electric, vinyl siding around and underneath the room, insulated double hung windows with full screens, door, carpet, labor and material. The area prior was a screened in porch, so the basic area already there. I'm not pushing a window company, I just did a lot of research on Ezbreez, reading people's comments, reviews, good and bad and made a decision that I felt worked best for our needs without the aggrevation that I felt people were having. I posted my end decision for an effort to help people make a decision based on word of mouth. If the Ezbreez windows work for other people, I'm happy for them. It's a lot of money either way in my opinion, and I appreciated the information shared regardless of if it was for or against the Ezbreez. It was merely info for my decision making. Sorry you feel I was attacking you and your decision. Have a pleasant day.

• kllegssc

I used a bucket of Woolite and water to clean windows. Used a rag to gently wipe windows and then a Karcher window vac to remove the excess water and the windows cleaned up beautifully.

I am having some difficulty opening and closing them. Fit too tightly. A few of the middle window dividers came loose while trying to close top panel properly. Will be having contractor take a look at them.

• Anne Rossi

We live in South Carolina. We had a knee wall and screening put in on our covered porch 15 years ago but pollen rendered the room useless for several weeks so when we found out about EZ Breeze, we had them installed, about 13 years ago. Ours are huge and the panels have one spring on the side, not clips on the top like the newer version. I would take them out every spring and wash them with Woolite in hot water with a microfiber cloth and buff them dry with another microfiber cloth and they looked beautiful....until about 3 years ago. They started to separate in the corners and it was becoming more and more difficult to push each panel to once side so I could pop it out of the track. Difficult to get them to snap into top of track too. Two years ago, I had them come out to give me a price to just do new panels and the guy gave me a price almost triple their original cost. Needless to say, I’m replacing them with REAL thermopane single hung Pella windows for half the price and will also have a more energy efficient room when done.

• H Reed

We’ve had EZBreeze windows for approx 7yrs. No problems with installation, nothing has broken, and they’ve been easy to clean. The company stressed to us to use nothing but Water to clean them - no soap, windex, etc. Water & a microfiber cloth. And we’ve had no problems. Way cheaper than windows, but that’s not why we chose them. We wanted to feel like we were out in nature - be able to hear the birds, feel the breeze & see the yard - but with the option of weather proofing when it rained (which it does in the Midwest all the time) & during the winter. With a small heater, we can sometimes sit out there in the winter (greenhouse effect). Love them for this reason

• Tom Wilkinson

I have them installed for 12 years on a 38’ porch in NH. I love them.

• Mary Dwyer Berman

Hi Tom - we live in Concord, NH and are considering this product for a 3 season porch. The closest showroom we could find is in West Hartford, CT. Do you know of one closer? Thanks, Mary

We’re considering these windows. We live in Nebraska with the crazy weather and we have kids and a dog. Wondering how well they hold up to the year round weather elements and wear and tear. Looking at these and Scenix windows as well.

We live in Iowa and installed ours in the Fall of 2015. We have had zero problems with them in 5 years. No broken parts, no yellowing of the vinyl, no tears. Feel free to view my earlier posts and photos on this site.

Awesome! Thanks for the reply!! Can you use the porch most of the year with the windows?

Spring and Fall are great, Summer and Winter not so much. We have 2 ceiling fans in our porch, so with the windows open and the fans running it can be used in the summer. Once Winter sets in with temps below freezing, we rarely use the porch, but the windows keep the snow out and on sunny days it does heat up enough to sit out there for short periods of time.