Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwgjr33

Looking for advice on indoor pool filter and pump

gwgjr33
15 years ago

Hi,

I've spent time reading over the archives, but I'm hoping that some of the knowledgeable people on this board can provide advice specific to my situation.

I've recently purchased a home in Massachusetts that has an indoor pool. The pool is 20' by 20' and approximately 15K gallons. The pool has an automatic pool cleaning system. However, both the pump and the filter were removed by the prior owners (it was a foreclosure). The pictures show what is left.

I'm looking for advice on a filter and, more importantly, a pump for the system. The local pool shop recommended an auxiliary pump for the automatic cleaning system, but they didn't really impress me when I started asking questions. The Intelliflo pumps look interesting, but they are rather costly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Gary

ps. If anyone has any good decorating ideas, I'd love to hear those as well!

Comments (7)

• Rack Etear
    15 years ago

The intelliflo (vs) 4X160 would work perfectly for this pool.

You can control it from a suntouch, and have different speeds for filtering, and running the cleaner.

Its tough to do a head calculation for a pool like this, so the 4X160 and how dynamic it is, would be a good fit.

Odd system, they should have put the cleaning system actuator on the wall, not on the floor.

The other weird thing is that there is a gear plate for an A&A actuator up on the heat exchanger.

• brentca
    15 years ago

There is an 800 number on the Quikclean decal in one of your pictures. If you call that the company should be able to help.

• gwgjr33
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Racket,
    Thanks for the recommendation. It sounds like the 4x160 plus the suntouch or easytouch would work well. I will look into this combo further.

Brentca,
    I called the Quickclean number, but was told that they only work through their dealers and not directly with end users. I may still have someone come out to look at our installation, but I wanted to explore doing it myself first.

Thanks!
    Gary

• zl700
    15 years ago

Having lived next to a neighbor that had a similar set up that failed and flooded their basement, 6,000 gallons worth. Think of the complications with the mechanical systems and electric. Power Company came out and disconnected power to house, along with fire dept. and all the building inspectors.

If you have things of value in the mechanical area or basement, have you considered building a retaining wall 2-3' high out of concrete or wood that is sealed to walls and floor along with a good sized sump pump 2" plus in discharge that could keep up should a pipe or fitting break and spring a leak?

In addition a water sensing alarm could be added.

• gwgjr33
    Original Author
    15 years ago

zl700, apparently, this exact scenario did happen to the previous owner who built the house (you don't live in MA do you?). All of the drywall in the basement has been removed up to about 2' and most of the flooring was pulled up. I've already had a basement water sensor connected to my alarm system, and I'm planning on adding a retaining wall this summer. The basement walls in this section are all poured concrete, so I just need to build a single wall to section off the pool equipment. The only question will be sizing the pump and the drain; although, I hope to use the backwash drain that is already in place.

-Gary

• infloorparts
    15 years ago

Go with the 4x160. Also make sure your filter is properly sized. You want the residential flow rate to be 150 gpm.

If you need help with the A&A system check out infloorpoolparts as they have a section on troubleshooting those systems

• PRO
    www.SwimmingPoolSteve.com
    9 years ago

Late to the party here but holy cow do you ever need to invest in some isolation valves. Every single line should have a ball valve on it and you would be silly to install a system like this below grade without them.

While I certainly like to save money wherever possible there is a flow problem with this setup that a secondary pump would resolve. The amount of flow that the floor cleaning system needs is appreciable and the way your system is set up you have a huge flow restriction with the ozone venturi directly in front of the auto-cleaner valve. The floor cleaner will underperform and your pump wil have to work its but off to supply the water.

Since you did ask a specific question which I have not answered here yet, but a variable speed pump and match it to a suitably sized cartridge filter. You have a very nice, high end pool installation and this is the equipment you would expect to see on a pool like this.