Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlclark_gw

reuse or sell old trex deck

jlclark
13 years ago

We are going to have a stone paver patio placed in our back yard. We have a 12X12 trex deck now. Is there any use for the old material or can it be sold?

Comments (61)

• brooklyndecks
    13 years ago

Trex is not rated for air contact.

steve

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

I am geting big Grins with this. J.

• mr_dre
    13 years ago

You are correct that Trex isn't rated for ground contact. However, if it was going to be thrown out anyway, what's the difference?

And posting your personal feelings about a product when someone asks for a suggestion for its use WHEN THEY ALREADY HAVE IT is useLESS.

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

So is trex. J.

• deckman22
    13 years ago

Mr. Dre,

Who appointed you the forum policeman? It's not even your thread & you seem to getting quite upset over nothing. Is there anything wrong with having a little fun on a funny subject?

I wish mr. clark would come back & tell us what he did with his old trex.

Al

• idrive65
    13 years ago

I'm not surprised the OP didn't come back. Ah well, I love my Trex deck.

• david1948
    13 years ago

Jl, These contractor "dudes" were pretty insulting to you. Guess you wouldn't hire them?
    Anywho,?! benches in your green house, garage, basement. Anything you do with it would be better than trashin' it.
    Put it on the curb with a "free" sign. Someone might appreciate your generosity.

All said from someone whom hates to throw away anything!

• aidan_m
    13 years ago

In the sun for 10 years, trex will completely decompose into dust. For those people who worry about limited landfill space and the possibility that we may exhaust this finite resource, don't panic...

Trex is manufactured from diverted landfill material, which saves space in the landfill. Most of the plastics and other junk trex is made of would take forever to decompose naturally in the landfill. After processing into trex, the new material decomposes in a fraction of the time. It gets a head start to ordinary trash, because by the time the used trex makes it back to the landfill it is mostly decomposed.

The secret is that waste management companies actually manufacture trex just to put it straight back into the landfill. It makes good business sense and saves them money. The kicker is they have tricked people into paying the cost of transporting it and storing it at their own waste transfer yards for a few years for free. Then they make money again when it goes back to the landfill!

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Sooooooooooo Funny Aidan !!!!!

Kinda like using your worn out moldy carpet to make a garment or asking someone if they wanted it. J.

• dnamachine
    9 years ago

I am looking for older composite decking, just 1 or 2 pieces....

• dnamachine
    9 years ago

does anyone know where I might find some?

• rbr2179
    8 years ago

I've had the mold problem since I installed my trex decking 10 tears ago. I power wash it off w/bleach every tear- no big deal!. In fact I'm in the market for 1.5 old trex in saddle if anyone has any to sell in reusable condition. I prefere 12' lenghts .

• aj
    8 years ago

I have the old 1.5" trex, it is madeira in color. I have a couple 15' lengths (new) and I also have the 12' lengths (used).

• rbr2179
    8 years ago

Thanks aj but I really need saddle to match.

• Ms. Measure
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Looking for 35 - 40 lengths (16') in Trex Contour Series - Winchester Gray color. Prefer unused but might consider gently used for my project that ran short. Know this series is discontinued but figured I might get lucky. Can pick up or arrange for shipping. Contact: berardanb@aol.com

• HU-562854341
    4 years ago

Would like to buy

• HU-562854341
    4 years ago

Want to purchase

• HU-562854341
    4 years ago

Where do I get old trex?

ronnircyl@aol.com

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    4 years ago

I will add my 2 cents... If you have the time and a place to keep it, take them out, try not to damage them to much and someone will buy it. Around here everything sells even the things that the thought of selling these items would never cross your mind. I have seen people selling used PT lumber and someone shows up to buy it and you ask them what you gonna do with it, the say they flip the boards over. Go figure.

Of course professional contractors will not buy used Trex and cell to their customers, and no homeowner with a decent house would even consider using used Trex boards.

But there are many homeowners out there who cannot afford new materials or can use used types of materials on many projects and they could care less if Trex can be laid on dirt, concrete and if it has air circulation under it or not...

That said, I have seen Trex being used over patios, over concrete, some throw sleepers right on the ground and cover with cheap Composites from the box stores and make a patio. You come across all types of hack-jobs some DIY and some done by "F-B-N" contractors and you ask the homeowner how long this been this way, they tell you 3-5 years with no issues and they jump from joy and they could care less about the warranty.

I did a kitchen remodeling for an older couple and while waiting for cabinets to be delivered, they called and asked me to let them know when it's OK to take the cabinets down because they sold all of them for $300 and the people will come and remove them. House was built in the 50's-60's and this was the original kitchen.

There is a buyer for everything and I can give you examples all day.

Good luck

• HU-124211196
    4 years ago

I would have purchased it- the styles are now way different and a person cannot find the old style anymore. Jezzzzz you guys are not too polite to each other. Is this the way of the world now?

• HU-877564630
    4 years ago

looking to match original Winchester gray deck & need about 18 pieces, about 8 feet long. deck was installed 2001 & is still an awesome deck. New trex is very different! We would consider different lengths that we could make work! Anybody have new or used? Thank you!

• HU-524798179
    4 years ago

Need 7‘ long piece of original trex in Winchester grey,anybody have any?????

• HU-877564630
    4 years ago

Yep, we are still looking for WINCHESTER grey original. You are the first comment since posting. Should we find any, or decide to replace entire deck (I hope not) we will try to let you know! Good luck, & if you find any, please let us know.

• Teresa Newlon
    4 years ago

ted

• HU-7164202
    4 years ago

Steve apparently you did not read all the reviews . You must be a contracter.Ca cabinets from the 50s and 60s all paint removed sandblasted clearcoat and people will pay like $1500 Seattle people love this I know this because my son did it . We have all tracks decking front and back and love it . One day I was putting tires on the curb my husband says nobody’s gonna want those I was in the process of making a cardboard sign guy pulled up how much you want for them tires I said free he said I’ll take them all and guess what we all had a happy day so the Lesson here is don’t worry be happy Steve and what do you care what other people like or want to use on their house LP Spokane Washington

• HU-7164202
    4 years ago

Love it love it love it just goes to show you some peoples trash is somebody else’s glory and let them have their glory there is much bigger problems we should be taken care of !!!

• HU-877564630
    4 years ago

winchester grey trex., since we cannot find original WINCHESTER grey trex to finish an addition to our original deck we have decided to replace the entire deck. If interested in purchasing our used decking, please contact us through this site .

• HU-7164202
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Speaking of tracks decking going down in price after a while like new cars don’t another things that are owned by people go down in value don’t you understand that’s the world we live in use it throw it away personally because of people like Steve I like the Idea of reusing thanks obviously other people do too it’s been going on for centuries get a handle on it Steve

• HU-524798179
    4 years ago

HU-877564630 Where are you located??can you send a pic so we’re talking about the same decking?

• HU-877564630
    4 years ago

Sorry I missed your comment! We are in Winchester va. I will try to get pix to this site later today.

• HU-524798179
    4 years ago

ok

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    4 years ago

Why would anyone buy a used deck especially Composite? What do you do with it...frame your deck and have joists spaced to match holes on decking?

• HU-524798179
    3 years ago

Any progress on the pics of the usedWinchester grey decking?Im gonna be needing it.

• HU-524798179
    3 years ago

I am going to be heading through Winchester Va this weekend.I hope I can pick some up!

• HU-877564630
    3 years ago

It looks like we are keeping deck and replacing hot tub. However, kind of still up in the air. I do have a piece (or maybe 2) about 3 ft long that you could have. Not sure how to make contact without the public having my contact info. I am not interested in severalof these people having my info.Maybe post your phone # and I will call you????? let me know

• HU-524798179
    3 years ago

631 828 0053 Mark Winchester grey trex pieces.Pls call soon!Thanks.

• HU-379608937
    3 years ago

I have about 2000 sq ft of "Foggy Wharf" but I am sure it wasn't called that when I bought it 5 years ago. ( I think the name was "island Mist", not sure though) The deck is in excellent condition and I also installed Trex deck lighting with it ( built in and flush with the surface) Just checking to see if anyone would be interested. Located in Palos Verdes, California. Most pieces are 10 ft plus. Call or text 562 547 1989 for pics and more info.

• courage1600
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I've had ten people asking me how much I want for my 30x25 old decking.

My landscaper said that he would give me a month of services for it...about $2500!

FYI..it's winchester grey if anyone is interested...I've also got a few new pieces.

• HU-877564630
    3 years ago

so where are you located

• Pam Knox
    3 years ago

We are looking for 4 4x4 winchester grey trex posts to fix our trex deck that was damaged in the Iowa derecho. We live in Iowa. I will check back in a few days to see if anyone has these. It is a very large deck and the cost to replace the whole thing with new is too expensive.

• HU-653397322
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I am looking for few pieces of trex decking in winchester grey. its solid with no wood grain. i believe from 2007.

i had a small fire on my deck and need to repair it

• Ms. Measure
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

In search of 40 planks (16' x 5" x 1 1/4") - 293 sq. ft. in discontinued Trex 'Contour' Series - older Winchester Gray with wood grain surface. NOT newer 'Select' series (too dark & different dimensions). Prefer unused planks. Located in the Western States but can pick up or arrange for shipping. Sample of what I am searching for below.

• HU-560918973
    2 years ago

Have used slate gray trex decking for sale. it was used for a 10x 20 foot screened porch.

• HU-915518791
    2 years ago

Can you post a photo?

• HU-717691295
    2 years ago

I am redesigning an old gray (old style) trex deck and would love to get my hands on some boards to use. can you let me know if any would be available to re purpose.

• caroberts01
    2 years ago

Had some decking but was unable to get the screws out without damaging the planks so had to trash it.

• Vicki Brown
    11 months ago

It's been years but... we contact contractors who bui8ld with Trex and ask if they have material they can't use, old boards, boards that would go to the dump. We've used them in many projects.

Put them up on Facebook, on Nextdoor, in your neighborhood mailing list. I guarantee womoen will want them

• Mark Young
    6 months ago

Any used (beat up/holes are fine) trex type decking boards in WISCONSIN or UPPER PENINSULA of MICHIGAN? I want to build new COMPOST bins with it.

• HU-331915315
    last month

INTERESTED LOOKING AT YOUR

• caroberts01
    last month

Sorry sold