Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lax_80

Need advice on Pool Enclosure and Pool House

lax_80
14 years ago

Hi Folks,

I need some advice on building an enclosure for an existing outdoor in-ground pool (20x40). We live in New Jersey and can use the pool comfortably only 4 months (June-Sep) atmost.

We want to look into options where we can either build a sunroom around the pool or do the retractable one so that we can extend the swimming season. Also looking for a cost efficeint heating system for the pool and enclosure

While doing this also thinking of building a pool house / small bathroom..the house is far from the pool 50 feet and also on the other side of the house from the closed entrance to back yard(= one wet family room ).

Any ideas? What type of enclosure works best in Northeast? Also how expensive will it be?

Thanks in advance for your expert advise.

Comments (6)

• huskyridor
    14 years ago

I remember Joanne's build and enclosure from last year, It's AWESOME!!!
    Although I live in Texas, I'd say that in New Jersey that this would be as good as it gets.

See ya,
    Kelly

• joanneswimsct
    14 years ago

Thanks Kelly!
    Lax 80: we have roughed in a bathroom w/i the enclosure. Not sure what building materials we will use yet but leaning toward polycarb/alum like the enclosure itself (obviously need an opaque "color"). We are at peakperformanceaquatics@yahoo.com and Libart is the company we used. Try them at libart.com Looking forward to helping you out in any way we can!
    Joanne

• lax_80
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Kelly and Joanne
    Thanks for the reply and advice. I will review this option and let you'll know in a follow-up what we decide to do.

Joanne,
    Will there be gaps in the telescoping enclosure or is it air-tight?

We were thinking of a enclosure that traps heat from the sun and then a heat pump to heat the pool...this way the air within the enclosure will be warm even in winter and thus a heat pump would work even in winter...

Wild idea? workable? Thoughts welcome!

Thanks again.
    Lax

• joanneswimsct
    14 years ago

Hi Lax
    There are definitely gaps to the enclosure. The whole thing sits on a rail system (ours has 3 parallel) and each module has to be able to telescope over each other therefore there has to be wiggle room. The company tries to compensate by using rubber flaps along the perimeter of each section but they certainly don't keep the cold out. Also, the building has an R-value of only 5... Our unit was manufactured 4 or so years ago and since then, they have greatly improved the technology of the overall unit so we've been told. But since we saved a HUGE chunk of change we don't mind dealing w/ a 9 month season instead of possibly 12! There is a guy here in CT who tried keeping his pool open 12 months the first year he installed the enclosure. His pool is only 12X24 yet it cost him TONS to keep the heat in. His enclosure sits b/ a large shed for one end wall and his house for the other. He installed a huge gas heater in the shed to blow hot air into the enclosure but found it to be too costly. Now he shuts down the day after Thanksgiving and re-opens April 1. He has a lot of sun year round which is a big help. You may not be able to actually heat year round w/ gas/heat pump w/o spending a fortune but if you have a lot of sun exposure you'll be amazed at how hot it gets inside due to the greenhouse effect. A woman in TX uses hers year round; she installed a large electric heater like those found at the entryway of Lowe's/Home Depot. Even in the winter when she gets some snow, she told me it was so warm due to the sun she had to turn off the heater and open the windows! Her enclosure is HUGE: the pool alone is 60' long! Wish we didn't have a tall tree line behind our house; lose our sun by the end of Oct. The trees belong to the backyard neighbor so I can't touch them...
    Keep us posted!
    Joanne

• dfnj
    3 years ago

@lax_80 Did you end up installing a pool enclosure? I'm also in NJ and in design stage for new pool build. We're looking at options to extend our swim season, possibly year round, and found this company in NJ that installs enclosures. https://www.sunrooms-enclosures.com