Software
Houzz Logo Print
waltbsc

Mantel shelf installed

15 years ago

Well, it took almost a month for the mantel to arrive but we really like it. It's very close to our floor color even though it looks black (chocolate stained birch). It's a couple inches lower than our original mantel but I wish I would have went a little lower. It was a PAIN to install so it's not going anywhere..haha It's 13.5 inches from the fireplace opening and code is 12" so it's close.

The framed print is something we had at our old house and will eventually be replaced. We have a couple pieces picked out at Etsy so we just need to make a decision.

The week before we moved in..almost a year ago today!

and today...

Comments (20)

  • 15 years ago

    Looks great! What a change you have made in that house! We have that same wood paneling and crown molding, but I don't want to paint it so it's been a challenge to figure out how to modernize the look.

  • 15 years ago

    I love it! What a difference. If you don't mind sharing, what paint color did you use on the walls? It really makes the room so serene.

  • 15 years ago

    gmnolen - Paint color is SW Samovar Silver.

  • 15 years ago

    What a huge, HUGE difference! Looks like two entirely different houses.

    Thanks so much for coming back to share the results of your long labor.

    PS I love the print of the tree.

  • 15 years ago

    What a huge, HUGE difference! Looks like two entirely different houses.

    Thanks so much for coming back to share the results of your long labor.

    PS I love the print of the tree.

  • 15 years ago

    Looks fantastic -- what a HUGE change in your house! And in such a short time!:)

    Well done and great choices!

  • 15 years ago

    Wow! What a transformation! Looks wonderful!

  • 15 years ago

    The painted paneling and crown molding really bring it up to date as does the new fire screen.

    Thanks for sharing your success.

  • 15 years ago

    Wow! Wow! Wow!

    Thank you for sharing! By posting you will help others who don't know what to do with their rooma.

    Fantastic job and I, too, really like that tree print. I hope it will find a spot somewhere else in your home.

  • 15 years ago

    It looks great! What a difference painting the trim and walls made - it looks really nice.

  • 15 years ago

    Just beautiful. What a transition. Personally, I really like that print. Maybe you should keep it to switch over to in the winter. You've done a great job. What's next?

  • 15 years ago

    Love it!!!

  • 15 years ago

    It never ceases to amaze me what some paint can do! The new mantel is also a great change. I love how even the hallway looks so much lighter and more pleasant.
    You have really made it lovely and your own ;)

  • 15 years ago

    Thanks for all the positive comments! We are extremely happy with our progress so far.

    What's next??? Well, I get to spend some money on landscaping. Our pool area looks really bad and there are many tree's that need to come down. The previous owner didn't do much of anything the eight years they lived here except add wallpaper to every room..haha

  • 15 years ago

    What a beautiful, tasteful change you and your wife have created. I also like the picture over the mantel.

    You will have to post pictures of your landscaping endeavors, too, please.

  • 15 years ago

    That's a terrific transformation. Well worth the wait for your new mantle. Please post pictures of your next project. I'm always looking for inspiration.

  • 15 years ago

    You have been busy

    LOVE what you have done, lightened, brightened, freshened, modernized - That work has paid off

    Enjoy

  • 15 years ago

    I have enjoyed watching your room come together. Love everything about it!!

  • 15 years ago

    LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER!

    Here is a link that might be useful: Fireplace mantels in Richmond Va

  • 15 years ago

    Yet another perfectly done touch to an amazing room. Did you ever decide on window treatments?

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations