Software
Houzz Logo Print
meg515

Need Advice on a Rug

11 years ago
We are waiting for our new furniture to arrive, and I am struggling to find a rug that won't contrast too much with these fabrics. The print fabric will be a chair with an ottoman. The light tan is the couch fabric and the dark grey will be on the loveseat.

I have dark hardwood, so I would like a lighter rug. I prefer soft rugs, so not looking for jute or anything like that. I don't want to spend more than $600 for an 8x10 rug. Any suggestions?

Comments (20)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I would go with a grey and add touches of blue or red throughout the room
    Gray /Black Solid Pattern Shag Rug - ND03, 5x8 · More Info

    Red and Gold Mini U Bud Vase Glass Display · More Info
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    What is the style of the furniture? Your decision should be based on color as well as style.
  • 11 years ago
    The style is pretty traditional. Attached are photos of the sofa and chair (in different fabrics, of course)
    Thanks!
  • 11 years ago
    Go for a soft creamy white rug...maybe even an almost shag? Let the fabrics on your furniture be the focal point. Look at Wayfair.com for lots and lots,of,affordable,rugs and free shipping.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    6 x 9 is 550 and if you meant a light neutral well this won't work.. just checking if you like one mass of color to repeat in a vase etc...or with gleam lamp...
    Mystique M5329 Rugs - 6'x9' · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    I could try to find something similar from the suggestions. Just don't want to spend a ton because we have kids and a dog.
  • 11 years ago
    I was thinking of this rug when it goes on sale... Would this work?

    http://www.potterybarn.com/m/products/braylin-tufted-wool-rug-neutral/?pkey=e|rug|212|priceDesc|0|4|15||10&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Do you have art or objects to place around? :) I wonder about a mirror, or metal art in shape/s of flowers like your chair.
    Are other rooms especially kitchen open?
    It seems that it wouldn't for starters, clash, of course... but will you have some interest around like lamps with a pretty glass base... something that shines, cause the rug is yet another grey...the couch and loveseat seem a nice texture!
  • 11 years ago
    No nothing really yet.. We just moved in right before Thanksgiving. It's pretty much a blank slate! :)
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    This might work
    Hand-tufted Metro Classic Grey/Green Wool Rug (8' x 10') · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I gotta say, that Genevieve's idea about a solid-ish rug seems good: you have a print, tan, and grey and unless it's a huge room which to me can handle several things like that, I'd save your 'pattern allotment' for couch pillows,accessories, etc...
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Something like this
    Carpets and Rugs · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I just read LB's.... @LB is that to help tie in the couch's tone? Would it be 'off' to have nothing else the color of couch? or is there -- we haven't yet seen?!
    [I'm seeing flower-chair and stem-rug, but I'm so visual...now organic branches!]
    Glam how much? or more romantic? 2nd seems more in tune with the couch color - I'd use those tones as much as you can, or better yet an accent color. :)
    Mercury Glass Urn Table Lamp With Grey Tapered Drum Shade, 2285 · More Info

    Marsielle Mercury Glass Table Lamp · More Info

    Sterling 113-1140 Elmira Antique Mercury Glass Table Lamp By Sterling · More Info

    Jamie Young St Croix Mercury Glass Small Table Lamp Base · More Info
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Modern Floral Pattern Gray /Black Wool Tufted Rug - TV13, 8x11 · More Info
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I think a solid or variegated two tone rug would be best It's too difficult to bring black, white, gray and tan for a pattern :)
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your responses.. Very helpful so far! Maybe I should take some photos of the room to post.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Rugs with 2-3 colors need those colors to work with chair white, gray and black. Then the sofa is left out. So sofa needs 1-2 of the chair colors for pillows to all work together.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Good luck Meg... I'll look in sometimes....just crossed posts. As to Genevieve's red, and my purple ideas - that's partly to reference back to the wood's warm tones.... LB-pillows should have couch-color, and at least grey/white, and maybe one pillow of accent color? can you tell I think this is fun.... ? :) ... skip black, not needed?
    cause I saw a charcoal/black shade, but then I thought better to bring in warmer taupe/couch tone??
  • 11 years ago
    Look online at arearugstyles.com. You will find the prices much lower than other retailers or online rug sites.