Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691163

What size is your dream sewing table? cutting table?

User
9 years ago

I have the opportunity to have a sewing room again, and while I would love to have everything I've ever seen, it's just not possible. My thought is to have a table the size of a small dinette, maybe 2'x5' or 2.5x5 for my sewing table, with a slightly smaller table next to it (forming an L) for my ironing pad and small cutting mat, etc. And a tall table the size of my large cutting mat, but wider, about 2'x5' or 2.5x5.

I once had a fold down cutting table that was a little over 3' deep and I couldn't reach the stuff the rolled past the mat. This one won't be attached to the wall but it will be pushed against the wall most of the time.

Any thoughts before I start looking for tables?

Comments (3)

• User
    9 years ago

I think there would be as many different preferences as there are quilters on this one! I guess my "dream" table would be one that went around all sides except for the back but that's not possible for me. So I keep my sewing machine at the right end of a banquet table and use the rest for cutting. When I'm sandwiching the quilt I take the machine off and use the whole table, I also have it pulled away from the wall with enough room to sit between the table and the wall and also so that I can move all the way around it while doing the sandwiching part. But I do have a computer desk to the left to hold various tools, cup of coffee, TV remote, etc. and on the other side of the room a drafting/art table that usually holds piles of fabric, batting, etc. The only time-saving thing I don't do is have the iron anyway near me, so it's up and down and a few steps but that probably keeps my a&$ from becoming permanently welded to the chair!

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

Well, my dream cutting table would probably be the size of a piece of plywood (4' x 8')! lol The more surface space the better!

But in reality, I have a small banquet style table (28" x 60") that I share with storage drawers, tool basket, sewing machine, and cutting board!

My biggest recommendation is, if at all possible, to have a table that you can walk around at least 3 sides. It'll make cutting so much easier.

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I really do have a pretty nice setup but I'm too messy to make it work as well as it should. The sewing table/ironing table/L-shape works great, but the large cutting table I have in the same room is always full of stuff with no room for cutting big pieces of fabric. I end up either using the kitchen table or setting up a folding table in the sewing room for big cutting projects. My sewing table is the size of a large office desk, so I have room on it for two sewing machines and a good sized cutting space. Perfect for just doing lotto blocks or trimming while putting a quilt top together.

Kate