anthonyg_ma

Problems with ThermaTru entry door

anthonyg_ma

Has anyone run into problems or issues with ThermaTru/Benchmark fiberglass front entry doors? We had one installed from Lowes back in April. Long story short, one of the side lites was leaking from under the threshold. The factory finally sent out a contractor to examine it, agreed it was defective, and attempted to fix it. It still leaks. The factory is now blaming the installer and does not want to come back out to fix the problem properly, and Lowes of course is blaming the factory. The carpet and subfloor are damaged from the water leak and I'm still getting yanked around. ThermaTru has washed their hands of any responsibility at this point and does not want to stand behind their 'lifetime warranty'. Lowes tells me they will arrange to get it fixed. Given the hassle I've been put through so far however, I would never purchase another ThermaTru product, nor could I ever recommend their products. As for Lowes and the installer, the jury is still out on them. If they fix the problem as they promised, I will be satisfied.

• Linda Dennison

wow...think I will be looking at Pella from Pella directly, or a different brand. We are replacing front door and adding side lights to up the first impression for resale value. No time or money to dick around with problems.

• millworkman

"No time or money to dick around with problems."

Then don't go with Pella. I would look at Provia, Homeguard, HMI, or Albany................

looking for decorative glass for entry door

thanks for your tip. the glass selection at Lemieux doors looks great, however, I didn't find any one with caming similar to the avonlea by ThermaTru. also, could you tell me what the advantage of a solid wood door over fiberglass would be? I plan to paint it, and am not interested in a wood grain appearance. the door faces north east (hardly any direct sun light) in southern California. and it's fairly dry here. thanks

Entry Door

Go to ThermaTru Door dealer and order new matching set of glass inserts which offer obstruct glass to block the sunlight and change the glass inserts only without replacing the door. If needed you can also order and replace all weather stripping while you at it and you will have a new door. Good luck

Therma Tru Door

What type of frame comes with each (they have a paint grade and a stain grade frame)? What are each of the installers qualifications? Licensed and insured (real contractor or convenience store charlie)? Recommendations? Seen prior work? Where is the door coming from, a window and door supply or a box store? Interior finished and trimmed, or slap it in and run? Personally I would expect that door alone no installation to run $2500 - $3000.

Entry door input needed.

I thought adding film to the storm door (and the same to the side lights if you want?) might work. I would paint the new front door and the shutters the same color, unless the door is to be stained/varnished a natural color. Then you can paint the shutters whatever you like. There is a marine grade varnish that protects teak trim and other wood on boats that are docked outside. It does not change color but it does have to be renewed periodically. You might ask about that for your door if it is to be stained or varnished.
  • Angela Moutsatsos

We had a similiar problem and it turned out that the installer did not put flashing all around the door and water was coming in from the sides. May want to make sure that who ever installs it puts flashing all around the door.

• mdileo60
    last year

I have problem with front door the frame have big belly in the middle ,they tell me the installation is wrong. I would not raccomand Termatrue door to anyone , as soon as you buy is your problem they don’t stay behind their product ,stay away!!!!!!

• mdileo60
    last year

• Caren
    last year

Thank you everyone who took the time to share your impressions of therma tru fiberglass entry doors. You saved me, I think, from much aggravation and money poorly spent. Much appreciated.

• Johnny Sterlin
    last year
    last modified: last year

I started the remodeling of my house well over a year ago. I live in Miami. Due to hurricanes, I changed my second story windows to hurricane ones. I also, regrettably bought a Therma Thru front door. It has been 9 months now, and I am still waiting, and fighting to have my front door installed.

I bought the door from a local retailer. The first door came in with some defects, and missing parts. I waited 2 more months, got a 2nd door finally. It came in with missing moldings, a mahogany frame with a totally different color door seal. To top it off the installer can not install the door hardware as the holes on the door don't match the hardware.

I AM NOW LOCKED OUT OF MY HOUSE. UNABLE TO OPEN FRONT DOOR. MUST USE GARAGE DOOR. HOPE THERE IS

ALWAYS ELECTRICITY WHEN I GET HOME.

I am so unhappy. 9 months to finish my house is way too long.

I am now finding out all the damn issues with this manufacturer. I'm not very patient person. I don't want to loose my temper.

I am ready to get a full refund. Close to 4k for this damn front door.

It is 4am, I am awake, pissed off about all these damn issues with this front door.

I am spooked with all these issues.

Therma Thru truly scares me....

GN Builders L.L.C
    last year

Been installing TT doors since I'm in business and never had any issues. There is a reason why TT doors come with lose screw plugs so after each installation installer must check the glass frame to make sure it has a proper seal and the screws around the frame are tightened and put the screw-plugs in after all checks out.

The door must be installed the right way, and getting box stores to install doors is not the way to go, because one minute they installing carpets, next minute they installing microwaves and next minute they installing your door.

I removed/repaired and re-installed dozen's of doors installed by incompetent installers.

They don't prep and flash openings, they just put the door in add a few nails and out the door they go.

Openings must be prepped and flashed and the door must be installed correctly. There shouldn't be any air gaps around the door and you shouldn't see a daylight. The door must be closed tight against the weather seal on the frame. Corner seals must be installed and they always come separately with every door and must be installed after installation (not many install them).

Door needs to be painted, caulked and maintained throughout the years. Seals must be adjusted and replaced when needed especially on doors without overhead protection.

I see posted pictures of rotted brick mold and the door frames... this is all because for lack of maintenance. If you leave things neglected they will deteriorate over time so please don't complain and blame the door manufacturer.

Shattered glass is not the door manufacturers fault, it could have been damaged during shipment, it could be because of improper installation,etc.

I have seen installers using sledge hammers to make the door fit into improper size opening which should be bigger and there is room for expansion or contraction during seasonal changes.

Improper headers,etc will cause the glass to shatter if the load on the header increases, etc.

You can get a $99 TT doors a $300 doors or $1000 TT doors... When ordering, you have options. You can have Composite brick mold which is a must for any door, you can have Pressure treated or composite door jambs which is a good door feature to prevent rot and there is adjustable threshold which can be raised or lowered as needed and every manufacturer offers that, but people to avoid the extra costs buy basic plain door which is fine if the door is maintained properly.

There is a simple solution to everyone's door issue, hire professional installers if you cannot DIY not the guys from Craig's list or Box stores or jacks-of all-trades... get guys who actually know how install a door.

If you have an existing door, give it a little TLC or get someone who knows what they doing to change weather stripping, change door sills, replace brick mold, caulk and paint your doors and they will look like new.

That said, I don't know why anyone would post this pictures here under this topic, this images belong in a section " Neglected homes and Properties"

People should be embarrassed to allow your door or anything else for that matter to get this way, I can't imagine what the rest of the house looks like... this didn't happen over night, this is a sign of years and years of neglect, this type of thing you find in the abandoned homes. Fix it, don't blame the door or door manufacturer.

Frankly speaking, this is on you because you saw the signs, chipping paint, discoloration, etc and you didn't do anything about, you just let it to get this far.

This door bellow should have been painted long time ago, if you keep waiting it will look like the pictures above. Don't wait when you see something being discolored, take care of it and if you can't DIY, find someone who will find an issue that caused this, fix it and paint it and this door will last you another 40 years.

Any door manufacturer sells replacement parts. Anything on any door can be replaced and fixed. Doors are exterior products, they get constantly beat up by wind, rain, sun, humidity, etc Doors and windows need to be checked and maintained constantly like anything else located outside.

Now ask yourself when did the last time you checked your door? Maybe it's time to do something :-) Just saying.

• millworkman
    last year

While not the best door on the market, every issue you raise has more to do with the person placing the order and possibly the supplier order entry person. None of these issues from what I read are on TT.

• Mary Elizabeth
    last year
    last modified: last year

GN Builders L.L.C & millworkman, we would appreciate your input on our situation regarding a new TT door. We have a full light TT door between our house and garage, and have been very happy with it. Now we are replacing an exterior door on the lower level that accesses the patio.

Did a special order through a lumber yard with a very knowledgeable salesman.

Just received the new door today.

Upon removal of the packing materials, the door is unbelievable shoddy! The top left side of the jamb is not fully seated together, the mortise for the top hinge is not the right size, there is caulk smeared all over the composite door sill. They used a light gray caulk to fill a 1/4" gap between each side of the jamb - on a dark brown composite! The pre-finished painted exterior looks like primer! There are huge gaps at the mitered corners of the aluminum brick mould, and numerous chips at the top edge of the fiberglass - visible from 4 feet away!

Is this a Therma Tru issue or is it the distributor? (Ours is coming from Seal Rite out of Ohio.)

Thanks for your time!

• millworkman
    last year

Distributor. 90% of all millwork distributors purchase door slabs and frames separately. The frames and door are then machined specifically for the order to meet the required order specifications. 95% of the machining and assembly is done by machine so that must have been a Monday morning or the machine was having a crap day. Send it back or at the very least get the rep out to inspect BEFORE you install it.

GN Builders L.L.C
    last year

Seal Right they fabricate and distribute Therm-Tru doors. Send the door back, you shouldn't get the door in that condition. Take pictures of everything you described and get a replacement.

The thing is the Therm-Tru makes a good door, the companies like Seal Right assemble these doors and that is where the problem is. These companies are usually understaffed and they lack quality control people, not to mention they don't have enough people who work in the assembly shop especially if they have a large work load.

Where your door is being assembled and how the door is handled during shipping makes a big difference.

Like I said before don't accept the door in that condition and send it back and they will make sure the next door you get it will be a good door.

• Mary Elizabeth
    last year

The lumberyard has sent SealRite an email and cc'd us. Will keep you posted.

Therma-Tru Doors
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Mary Elizabeth, You are definitely taking the correct measures as this is a new door but we are always willing to help if you get stuck in the process. Please feel free to reach out to our customer care team at ‭1 (800) 843-7628‬ for advice or help.

• Johnny Sterlin
    last year

I am now waiting for my 3rd Therma Tru door.
    still waiting for the darn to be installed without any issues.
    I'm maybe a week away from finishing all the major renovations of my house, hurricane windows, front door, roof replacement, 3 walls totally replaced, rooms repainted , house repainted and garage refinished. all that done and I can't get my front door replaced to my satisfaction.
    it is tiring, and I am exasperated

• Mary Elizabeth
    last year

Johnny, what distributor is your door coming from?

• Johnny Sterlin
    last year

it is called Parksite...

• gtp123
    last year

@Therma-Tru Doors I'm thinking about to order your fibreglass front entry door but am surprised to see all the reviews. Is there a difference in quality of the door if I order from a Therma-Tru distributor vs. big box stores like Home Depot or Lowes? Can you please clarify. Thanks.

• Kathy Barber
    last year

I ordered from a Distributor and it didnt seem to matter.
    The workmanship was sloppy on our door, side lights and transom. When we complained they offered to fix it and dragged their feet. We requested a new door which was worse than the first one.
    My recommendation- BUY A DIFFERENT BRAND

• Mary Elizabeth
    last year

Kathy Barber, I don't like the sound of that! The Therma-tru rep came & inspected our door (before it was installed), and agreed with everything we pointed out. SEEMS like a problem from the distributor. Our new door is on order, so we'll see.

If this one comes in with problems, we're going to change to Bayer Built.

• Kathy Barber
    last year

I wish you luck Mary Elizabeth.
    REEB is the distributor in Maryland and I found them to be pompous and very rude. Our first call to them was ignored for weeks.

• Mary Elizabeth
    last year

jlpaca, seems to me, the main problem would be WHO to go to if you have issues. The lumberyard is the contact point for the ThermaTru rep. I think the big box stores are more likely to just "wait it out".

Also, in our case, pricing was better (by several hundred $$), and delivery was included.

Therma-Tru Doors
    last year

@gtp123 There should not be a difference in quality when they use all Therma-Tru components, however each dealer uses different fabricators based on their geographical location. We also see many reviews that mention install issues which are unfortunately due to improper installation. The best bet is to talk with your local dealers and find out what their policies are if there happens to be a problem with the door or install because they will be your main point of contact at first.

We are committed to our products and offer extensive warranties, information can be found at https://www.thermatru.com/technical/warranties/ and our Customer Care team is amazing if you want to reach out to them directly at 1-800-THERMATRU. Hope this helps!

Therma-Tru Doors
    last year

@Kathy Barber If there is something we can help with, please give our team a call at 1-800-THERMATRU.

• Johnny Sterlin
    last year

Well people I am now waiting for my third Therma Tru door. PLACED 1st order in February. I ve been locked out of my house the entire month. I can not open front door. I must use garage door. 2nd door came in with wrong hardware, different colored door threshold, etc.
    All I want is a front that I can use and ne happy with...

Therma-Tru Doors
    last year

@Johnny Sterlin It sounds like you have been in contact with your retailer but we would like to help you with your situation. If you would like us to look into the situation, you can send your contact information to customersupport@thermatru.com or call us at 1-800-THERMATRU.

• Johnny Sterlin
    last year

I called Therma Tru bebore, and I was referred back to the retailer.
    They were unwilling to do anything at their level.
    How do I get to the RIGHT DEPT OR PERSON.

I am beyond upset, exasperated that I have to wait for a 3rd door that they are saying will be delivered on October 7.
    An entire year almost already...
    I WANT MY DOOR INSTALLED ALREADY.
    Got family visiting, and am unable to open my front door.
    Precipitate my delivery ASAP. Send me a door that will not have any issues. Why no one from the factory ever contacted me is beyond understanding .

Therma-Tru Doors
    last year

@Johnny Sterlin This thread has been forwarded to our Customer Care team but they cannot reach out unless you send your contact information. Unfortunately, there is not a way to send you a private message via Houzz so please call them at 1-800-843-7628. They are available 8am-5pm EST. Thanks.

• Johnny Sterlin
    last year

I called them, spoke to someone. They have my information

• Mary Elizabeth
    last year

Well, here we are - 3 months after we ordered the first Therma Tru door! First door had at least 10 things wrong with it, including chips in the fiberglass! Second door came in last Thursday, and is also not right! Not as many problems, but even larger chips at the top of the door!

As I said in a previous comment, the distributor for our area is Seal Rite out of Wisconsin/Ohio. But what a mess!

• Kathy Barber
    last year

Mary Elizabeth,
    I guess it doesn't matter who the distributor is... Sounds exactly what we went through. it's almost as if they want you to be so frustrated that you accept a damaged door.
    One of our biggest frustrations is they are so quick to want to repair a damaged door when you ordered a New Door.
    keep us posted

• Mary Elizabeth
    last year

Yes Kathy, I think they must "get away" with the substandard quality the majority of the time!

Obviously, builders and contractors aren't paying close attention. And how many people are going to pay to have a door installed, and then removed, once they discover the problems!

We are just outside of Minneapolis, and a major lumber yard here has had a least a dozen Therma Tru Seal Rite doors for sale on Craigslist for 1/4 to 1/3 of the price over the last few months!

• Johnny Sterlin
    last year

They finally installed a new door. Just keeping an eye on bottom weather rubber strip. seems loose.

• Mary Elizabeth
    last year
    last modified: last year

I think their headquarters is still in Ohio. The Seal Rite distributor is located in Wisconsin. Within the last 2 years or so, Seal Rite closed a major production facility in a southern Minneapolis suburb. The rep who came to inspect our door said there were far fewer problems before that plant closed. Still, I don't think there are many Mexicans in Wisconsin.

Therma-Tru Doors
    last year

@Joseph Corlett, LLC @Mary Elizabeth Our corporate office is still in Maumee, Ohio with our manufacturing facility located in Butler, Indiana. There are many fabricators/distributors located throughout the United States who serve the different geographical locations. We are always happy to assist customers who are having issues and our Customer Care team can be reached at 1-800-ThermaTru.

• Mary Elizabeth
    last year

Therma-Tru Doors,

I appreciate your input and concern, but we've now ordered from a different company. We have one TT door, (about 6 years old) that has been great, and wanted to stay with the same brand.

Unfortunately, somewhere along the line, the quality control is really lacking.

We plan to replace 3 more doors within the next year, so have to go with a company that gets it right the first time!

In addition, we have 6 children with homes, also doing remodeling, so this filters down, as they usually take our advice!

Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

I said nothing racist or insensitive.

• Mary Graulich

I am very disappointed with my thermatru doors. I’ve been in my custom built home since May 2019 and I can not get my issues solved. I’ve had company reps come and look at my doors and agree there was a problem with my two sets of 8 ft French doors and then had someone come and measure the doors and have waited for months for someone to do something. I try calling the customer support line and it never works. The phone just keeps circling back to main message after you make your choice. It is very aggravating to not be able to get a hold of anyone. Terrible customer service for sure. I would never recommend these doors.

• millworkman

Sounds to me like your issue is more with the distributor than with TT as TT does not sell door units. They sell the door blanks and door frame parts to a millwork distributor who fabricates and assembles the products. I am not absolving TT here as they are an average at best product just stating that their business model does not sell direct doors to anyone but wholesale distributors.

• Carol Cobb

Mary Elizabeth, What door company did you go with? Has it come in yet and been replaced? How'd it go. FOLLOWING!

• Mary Elizabeth

We used a regional door company - Bayer Built. Very happy with the door. It was mid-November by the time we got it. It will be installed in about a month.

• Carol Cobb

Thank you Mary Elizabeth. This shouldn’t be so difficult!

Maroney Building & Contracting, Inc

YES..... I have run into problems and issues with ThermaTru French entry doors..... We had 5 installed. Three of them leaking from under the threshold. The factory finally sent out a contractor to examine it, agreed it was defective, and attempted to fix them and still leaking. The factory is now blaming the installer and does not want to come back out to fix the problem. The hardwood are gettting damaged from the water leaking. ThermaTru has washed their hands of any responsibility at this point and does not want to stand behind their warranty. If they would fix them , I will be satisfied.

• millworkman

They furnish the doors. 99.9% of the time a leak at the threshold IS installation. A fail to see how this would be a defect unless it was not hung properly then it would be on the distributor as TT does not hang doors. Not only that your listed as a pro/contractor, you should be able to diagnosis and fix this on your own.....................

• Moore Chiver

This is the sun shining through my door. This is around the panels of my 6 panel doors. I had 3 exterior doors installed and they all look like this when the sun shines on them. They came and took one back to the factory and said there were no issues with the door. Seems a bit thin to me, especially for what I paid fro them.

• Mary Elizabeth

Moore Chiver, hopefully a pro will comment. I have no idea what is causing that. Does your utility company offer "energy check ups"? Not sure if you would have to wait for winter to see if you have an energy loss going on (using an infrared camera).

It would also tell you the quality of the installation job.

I had 2 sets of French Doors installed about three years ago. The doors both rotted the wood in the corners of the doors. I worked through a dealer in my area and had the doors replaced. Within three days the doors swelled so bad, from wicking up rain, that I couldn't get my doors shut. The representative who should come and inspect the doors is using the excuse that he can't come into homes because of Covid. One, he doesn't need to enter the house to see the damage and two, am supposed to wait until Covid is over before I get usable doors. This is totally unacceptable. These doors lead out to my deck which is outside. I will never by Thermatru products ever again. The service has been awful and the doors are junk.

• Donna K

I am thinking about buying a TT Benchmark door. I read a lot of comments about finding someone how knows how to install a door well. How do I go about finding someone who knows what they are doing. I don't exactly trust Lowes to do a good job. I'm guessing if I call a company that specializes in windows and doors, they won't want to install a door that I didn't buy from them. Anyone have thoughts on this?

• Mary Elizabeth

Don't buy a door from a big box store. Go to a lumber yard - the very same door will most likely be less! Or buy a better door than Therma Tru - their quality has gone down hill a LOT in the last few years! What area of the country do you live in?