Shop Products
annaship1

Calling all Fantasy Brown Owners!

annaship1

Like everyone else out there it seems, I had been searching for a light grey or whitish granite with the look of a marble or quartzite. Nothing had been making my heart sing. I found a gorgeous slab of Fantasy Brown that is a bit different than what I was originally going for, but is gorgeous nonetheless. If I select it I will pair it with white cabinets and silver crackle tile. This particular slab comes in an antique finish -- the sheen is closer to eggshell than gloss, and the texture is not as aggressive as the leathered finishes that I felt in the stone yard. The yard had it labeled as a granite, but I have seen it listed as both a quartzite and marble on the web.

The yard didn't have any samples of it when I visited, so I will be contacting the fabricator to see if I can get some to test. So for the fantasy brown owners out there -- how is it holding up? Is the etching horrible? Scratching? Chips? Dents? I am reasonably careful in the kitchen, but I cook regularly and have kids, so I need to be realistic. I am hoping that the slight color and texture variations in this stone would hide more abuse than something like a white marble or superwhite.

This post was edited by cstr on Sun, May 4, 14 at 9:10

• jcampbell46

Kate Zink, thank you for the explanation. I am Leary of marble because I had it once before, and hated the etching. I will ask my stone guy about having it leathered, and see what he says.

We have had ours for a year and it’s polished. The look is beautiful and I am very happy with it. We have not experienced any etching at this point or even scratching. We are heavy users in the kitchen and not necessarily delicate. What I will say is that you don’t get as brilliant of a shine as granite due to the way the light reflects off the stone. That is a trade off with the beauty of the flow in the stone. Do not regret it for one second.

Backsplash help in our new kitchen!!

I personally am in love with texture right now. It brings some wow to your kitchen, take a look at arabesque tile or you can use lay your tile in an out of the box way! LOVE The herringbone layout you can use pretty in expensive tile but get a fantastic look!

Granite Countertop Question

Just wanted to update! As of yesterday I can put this nightmare behind me! Went through Arbitration last month through BBB. They kept asking for time extensions and not responding but finally responded and agreed to go through arbitration. It was ruled in my favor and they were ordered to refund! They had 30 days to send the check and today would have been the 30th and they waited until the last moment to send the check which I recieved yesterday! I’m not complaining though! Either way they had to pay for their mistake and were held accountable even though they wouldn’t take accountability! :) 8 months later and we are DONE! Thanks for all the help everyone!

Help! Fantasy Brown Granite or Dolomite?

Dolomite - a hard form of Marble. Often misquoted as Quartzite because it has similar properties. It is NOT a hard stone. I have it, love it, but everyone should be aware that Fantasy Brown / Terra Bianca is a softer stone.

Backsplash help!

Look up "Calling all Fantasy Brown owners". You will get lots of ideas. I would personally take one of the lighter colors from your stone & select a simple ceramic tile in that color with matching grout.

This is our slab installed.

• Dawn Yanni

• I so totally love my Terra Bianca Leathered Quartzite countertops...going to use in my bathroom for vanity top next!! I get so many compliments!
  • Danielle Correll
    last year

Hi everyone! I just had our FB countertop installed around a month ago, and though I love the coloring and pattern I'm concerned with the dull finish . There is no shine whatsoever. It looks like spiderweb and watermarks throughout and I don't know what the issue is. The installer is giving me the run around and won't answer my questions. I feel like it may not have been sealed correctly? Does anyone know how this can be fixed?

last year

It will not have the same shine like regular granite. I too was a little surprised by that, but over the last two years it has held up incredibly well. We are extremely happy with our fantasy brown.

• Tiffeny Paulson
    last year

Is there a granite alternative to fantasy brown with similar colors and/or patterns?

• Ajay Sahu
    last year

this is as good as granite

• Marjorie Gray
    last year

My fantasy brown is definitely as shiny as granite or quartz. I believe the finish is related to how the fabricator prepared the stone.

• suzyscuderi
    last year

which is more durable for FB: Leathered, or polished? I have had two different fabricators tell me two different things. We are hard on our kitchen, so I am still undecided about FB. I LOVE it, I can't seem to find anything else in granite that I love as much, but etching... in your experience, is polished or honed/leathered/etc. better? thank you!

• carolynrpi98
    last year

I shopped several fabricators once I knew I wanted fantasy brown and was told by all that leathered is most forgiving, followed by honed, and polished is going to show the most “wear” /least forgiving over time. We went with honed because I also was going for a more rustic look. If you’re not familiar, it’s like a matte finish. Not shiny like polished but smoother than leathered. It hides any etching well. Also, if distaster strikes or you find you’re a perfectionist and you can’t stand the sight of any blemishes, if you choose honed, you can have the counters “rehoned” by a professional. But if you choose polished, you can’t get them repolished. Or another option is go polished and if you hate it, have them honed after. We are 3 years post reno and have no regrets.

• db01473
    last year

We have had our polished FB for a year and a half now. We are rough on our kitchen too. We do have a few small scratches you can see if you really look. No etching though. We were torn whether to get the polished or leathered when we bought, but liked the look of polished better. So far so good.

Gem Marble and Granite Corp
    last year

The problem isn't that the marble can't be re-surfaced to polished finish, it is the idea that it will continue to happen. Honed finish is already the matte appearance that you'll see as the polished surface etches so if that is your baseline there is more uniformity across the stone. Leather/Antique finish is very beautiful but not for everyone.

• katiek
    last year

we got the leathered finish and oh my gosh i love it! ours is a rustic 1920's old English house and this fits right in...

• Marjorie Gray
    last year

Our highly polished finish is 5 years old and still perfect. It has been used as hard as any kind of kitchen surface. It gets no extraordinary care but i do use cutting boards and wipe down with a damp cloth after food prep.

• suzyscuderi
    last year

thank you for replying and helping me with making this decision, I appreciate it!

• Marjorie Gray
    last year

I should also add that the fabricator put a sealant (Dry Treat) on the stone before installation. That came with a 25 year warranty.

• Nancy Mittleman
    last year

Do most stone yards allow samples of your specific slab? I've seen many folks on here talking about testing the specific slab you are considering. Obviously with so many different variations in color and geologic makeup, they would wear differently. If the stone yard will not give you a sample to test, is there any way to know how it will hold up?

• suzyscuderi
    last year

I think that they are testing a sample, but I don't think they will give someone a slice off the actual slab unless it is purchased; I did try some experiements on the showroom sample though...it seemed fine.

last year

Most granite yards have samples to take and may be of a similar patten or color based on a desired slab. Some retail showrooms have larger pieces they may let out as well.

• suzyscuderi
    last year

I didn't think it through- thank you for this. I will ask :)

last year

Hello, I'm ready to buy fantasy brown brushed, super nervous... I just had sea pearl installed the day before Thanksgivingand it stained from water and cooking, horrible... the stone is quartzite. So undecide what to get love the FB brushed, cant find a granite I love, my kitchen remodel is on hold, please let me know thoughts

• Edmund Lee
    last year
    last modified: last year

There's hundreds of comments above yours, spanning a couple of years at least (including mine). If you get a reputable installer and distributor, ask them questions. And ask how they seal it, and with what. Read all above, most people love it. It's a dolomite (hard marble) so it's not super hard like granite, and can etch or stain, but a proper seal will offset it. Also honed or leathered will be more forgiving. Ours is polished and still awesome 2 years later. If you treat it expecting it to be indestructible, that's on you... treat it like marble. But most people use it. A kitchen is meant to be used, not babied.

last year

I've been asking and get some diff answers from dealers. I cook and entertain, I don't want to have that kitchen that I have to worry about a spill. Trying to find newer post, I feel it's better to hear from people that have it, just super nervous after the top that is in now, thank

• Kate Zink
    last year

Still love my leathered FB countertops! Had them installed in kitchen, master and guest bath over two years ago. I'm careful (cutting boards, sealed, wipe down used area when done, etc) but it doesn't rule my life. If there is etching from a spill that I didn't get to quickly enough I have no idea. I cook, entertain and don't stress out. With the leather/brushed finish to be honest I just don't see it. With a good sealer my countertops are still as beautiful as the day of installation. Best wishes in making the right choice for you.

• Tina Bateman
    last year

I also still love my polished FB. In two and half years, I’ve had a couple snafus with red chili sauce and a lily that had dropped pollen on it. I learned the hydrogen peroxide trick and you’d never be able to tell where those things happened. I don’t baby it by any means. I’m definitely glad I went with the FB; I still pause to admire it in my kitchen. It’s just so pretty.

last year

Thank you, I plan on doing the brushed fantasy brown, I've been told it's forgiving. This is the slab.

last year

Thank you Kate. Have you revealed since u had them? I'm a beach everything, what do you clean them with? After 2 weeks of hell with this quartzite I'm so nervous not to do granite again, I know I'm safe with granite, but can't find a stone I love.

• carolynrpi98
    last year

I installed honed FB 3 years ago and love it. I worried a lot at first but have learned the hydrogen peroxide/dawn/flour paste takes up any stains I’ve had, including the stamen from a lily. And with the honed, etching may show but you really have to know where to look. I use my kitchen a lot and have been very happy with it. Enjoy!

last year

Thank you.. Appreciate everyone comments, hard to trust yard people cause they want to make a sale.

• dataw1127
    last year

What do you think about hot pots and Fantasy Brown? I regularly slide hot pots off the cooktop onto my builder grade granite but am about to redo the kitchen. I've successfully used FB in another home, but in the bathroom. Can it handle heat?

last year

I've been told it can handle hot pots on it, my granite I did everything on it.

• Edmund Lee
    last year

i wouldn't use hot pots on anything but hard granite... Fantasy Brown, is NOT granite... it's a hard marble.

• Lauren
    last year

I have polished fantasy brown in my master bathroom and have left my hot straightening iron on it more times than I’d like to admit. It still looks the same as the day of install. We’ve had it for three years.

last year

Thank you. My granite tops were the best, I know FB isn't granite, that's why I'm asked about it.

• suzyscuderi
    last year

I am curious what problems you have had with your sea pearl quartizite...I have also considered this, so can you elaborate? Thank you :)

last year

Water spots and oil,

• bluelotus65
    last year

That is a gorgeous slab!

• suzyscuderi
    last year

what do you think is wrong- was it improperly sealed?

last year

Had to be, so upset. Now on the hunt but nervous. Read good reviews from people on FB Brushed, probably going that way.

• Chessie
    last year

I have never heard of a "brushed" finish. That sounds like hell to clean. Do you mean "honed" perhaps?

last year

It's just a little bumpy. So many diff names, leather, honed had that before no problems cleaning it.

• Ellen Williams
    last year

We have installed Fantasy Brown with a leather finish in our last 2 flipper houses that both sold quickly! Everyone wanted to know the name of that granite. We LOVE the leather finish in the lighter colors. Just seal it with a good sealer twice a year. There are lots of good sealers out there- we used Granite Gold and it’s so easy to do! Enjoy your countertops with no worries!

• Chessie
    last year

Ellen Williams - just know that it is not a granite. It is a type of marble. Leathered FB is beautiful though.

• MomMom M
    last year

We had leathered Fantasy Brown installed in our kitchen 3 years ago. I tormented myself with reviews - just not sure I would be happy with it and reading relentless stories of etchings. We had it professionally sealed. Once and done. And it is still as beautiful as the day we installed it. People come in and touch it and remark how much they love the leathered look.

last year

Is Fantasy Brown granite also called Ocean Beige? We were told at 2 different granite suppliers that it is the same granite, just a different name.

• Chessie
    last year
    last modified: last year

HU-427774320, Fantasy Brown is NOT granite. It's actually marble.

From what I can tell, yes Ocean Beige is just another name that someone came up with. Same stone - MARBLE. It is one of the less "persnickety" marbles though. It certainly WILL etch, so be aware of that. If you get it leathered, it will hold up even better. Read the rest of the thread and do some research.

• Lori Swenson Castro
    last year

i did a comple kitchen remodel with Fantasy Brown ( which was thankfully mistly blues) in the leathered finish... the absolute BEST counters i have ever had….did several ”tests” with a leftover piece.. olive oil, red wine, vinegars of all kinds… left it overnight… not one single sign of etching!! i would give this 11 out of 10 stars if i could!!

• Lori Swenson Castro
    last year

And yes, seal it every couple of years!

• Kate Zink
    last year

yes HU-427774320, Ocean Beige is just another name. They are both the same stone which is a dolomite. Treat it like a marble but a brushed/leathered/honed texture will hide any etching.